Vic Best and worst train stations in Melbourne

LouisCK

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm boycotting public transport in protest (I fare evade anyway but Metro don't know that).

Scares the absolute s**t out of me that we're having armed guards on the train. Everywhere this process has been trialled, someone innocent gets murdered by a bouncer with a gun.

Jul 17, 2004
Hotlanta
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
UGA, KSU, Knox C.C
I guess Metro in Melbourne want the inspectors to look like the transport police in Perth (who look like maximum security prison guards) and not thugs in overcoats.

Who do they think they're fooling?

I have a hard time imagining things have gotten that bad on the trains. I caught them daily from Boronia all the way to Melbourne Central for three years straight, and often at funny hours, and never saw anything but a couple of nutters and junkies. Have things gotten that much worse in the seven or eight years since then?

Have things gotten that much worse in the seven or eight years since then?

I don't think so.

Having armed bouncers (copyright LouisCK) on the outer reaches of the Hurstbridge line is a gross overreaction to something that happened 40km away.

Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots
You can pretty much guarantee that overzealous armed meatheads are going to cause more damage than people actually on the train over a 6 or 12 month period.

LouisCK

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Who do they think they're fooling?

I have a hard time imagining things have gotten that bad on the trains. I caught them daily from Boronia all the way to Melbourne Central for three years straight, and often at funny hours, and never saw anything but a couple of nutters and junkies. Have things gotten that much worse in the seven or eight years since then?

Nope. Same area here.

There's heaps of mental patients and junkies, but they're 'crazy' in the sense they act weird but mostly stick to themselves. They're usually yelling at windows or a bin or a chair or something.

And unfortunately, these are the people likely to get shot by over-zealous failed bouncers with guns.

When I was in school (late 90's) I had to get a train to school from Sunshine to Footscray and then to Newport. They use to be the 3 worst stations out there.
Anyone bagging Footscray obviously doesn't remember it in the mid 90's. It was a messed up place with junkies and some crazy dudes round there. It actually seems ok these days compared to how it was.

Sunshine has always been shady and still is. The under pass is suicide by yourself at night time. Remember late 90's as a kid you could see the syringes thrown on the roof. And twice people had been stabber either when I was there or moments before.

Newport was shady, now I find it fine. The underpass is a bid shady of a night time. Good thing is most of the crazy lebo gangs has moved on from there.

Broady- need I even say anything. Don't know how many dudes with sprain paint around their mouths I have seen there before.

Werribee- Everything in this suburb is a s**t hole and the station is no exeption.

Tottenham/West Footscray can be unsafe places of a night time.

However I find Essendon & Moonee Ponds to be safe places. Very few weird/crazy/junkie people getting around. Also Altona/Seaholm are good clean, quiet stations

LouisCK

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
You're not wrong about the late 90's and early 00's.

When Melbourne was in the midst of the smack epidemic, train stations were genuinely dangerous even in daylight. Out east it was Croydon, Bayswater, Boronia, Dandy, Frankston, Ringwood that I remember being really bad.

But crime has fallen dramatically in Melbourne since then - in spite of what the Herald Sun said in order to get Baillieu elected.

These armed thugs are a symptom of that propaganda campaign.

neroblack

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
You're not wrong about the late 90's and early 00's.

When Melbourne was in the midst of the smack epidemic, train stations were genuinely dangerous even in daylight. Out east it was Croydon, Bayswater, Boronia, Dandy, Frankston, Ringwood that I remember being really bad.

But crime has fallen dramatically in Melbourne since then - in spite of what the Herald Sun said in order to get Baillieu elected.

These armed thugs are a symptom of that propaganda campaign.

There are quite a few evenings where I catch a late-ish train home through the Clayton-Narre Warren stretch and to be honest it can get a little scary. It's very much, put the phone away, don't use the laptop, and don't make eye contact..and I'm 6', and a black belt in martial arts..

I don't think guns are the solution but they do need to do something. You can't just put 2 un-armed guards at a station either, as they'd be in strife...no easy solution. The delay in the guards being in operation since the election probably makes it clear enough that there are issues with that solution!

Stats Man

All Australian
Jan 14, 2008
Forward pocket
AFL Club
West Coast
are they actually going to redevelop richmond? i really hope they dont..

it' s a good station that works well but they should open both ends of it all day every day i think.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

it' s a good station that works well but they should open both ends of it all day every day i think.
Agreed. Cuts about 5 minutes from getting to Hisense Arena/AAMI Park having the other end open. Can't see why they can't open both ends up all the time. If they did this, they'd probably have to set up barriers (as they have at the main end of the station), but that shouldn't be too much of an issue surely.

neroblack

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls

The State Govt are having architects work on this at the moment. It does work very well but is also very tired, and is a great opportunity to do something better. Would be an opportunity to improve the links back to the sports precinct too.

May 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

They need to make the MCG end bigger, it is a massive bottleneck after the footy especially when its a big crowd and takes like 10 minutes to get through

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Both are fairly nice. The station between them (Newmarket) is not so nice. Bum hangout....

That was my old station growing up. Seen some weird and wonderful things there.

the_fresh

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
dowdenphotography.com
They need to make the MCG end bigger, it is a massive bottleneck after the footy especially when its a big crowd and takes like 10 minutes to get through

The issue there and I've called Metro about this is they have the ticket gates.
No one is able to touch on there because of the crowds, you'll get 1 in abou 50 trying and that stops everyone behind them. The way to fix it would be simply remove the ticket gates and put them Myki touch machines on the platform.

Only takes me a around 2 minutes, I've never been stuck for 10 minutes.

Broady station is terrible. I had to take my cousin to the xray facility near the train station there, popped over to the station platforms to grab a drink from the vending machine; and as soon as i walked up the platform i was asked by an asian guy if i wanted to buy marijuana. Some suburbs should just be non existent.

DTRAIN87

Cancelled
Suspended
Mar 18, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
We had a bunch of Maori cromers when I got on the train at Broady coming back from the Airport. The guys were in the closed waiting area which I went into when it started raining and one of them said Hello to me in a high pitched voice when I got in there. I could smell the fumes and realised what they were up to. Anyway guys get on the train and sit down in the carriage behind me. The train stops at Glenbervie and people start rushing to the next carriage as they were doing it again. Ticket Cops get on and try to kick them off and this saw one of them get spray painted and another punched. Funniest s**t and a win for society.

DTRAIN87

Cancelled
Suspended
Mar 18, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
The ticket scabs got spray painted and punched or the chromers?

Ticket flogs. Was hilarious. One of them had to be restrained by the rest before the big one (6'2 and probably 120 or 130 KGS and solid) went him.

Back