Vic Best and worst train stations in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Cranbourne is a good station, especially now that it's been redeveloped. Very well lit, plenty of seats undercover, always manned and cabs and busses outside almost all the time, including after midnight, after the last train has arrived. :thumbsu:

I've also spent plenty of time at Dandy station late at night (often after midnight), when switching trains from the Pakenham one for the Cranbourne one. Never had any probs there, including during longish waits on the middle platform.

Wouldn't be in a huge hurry to get off at Noble Park though, especially at night.

My old station, Mt Waverley, is another one that I never had any probs with.

Dandenong needs to be renovated some more but has a good design and foundations so it would be easy. Richmond is in most need as it is the only big station not to have been done now Spencer and North have been done. Noble Park had a story going round that the cops used to sit a response van outside for preparation of trouble.

Noble Park has been a hole since the 3174 days.

State Government would be too terrified to put a train station here so they make do with buses. I hear the drivers get penalty rates because of the added danger.

ventura801.jpg

I don't use the metro trains much, since I only ever really go to Melbourne for the footy.
Of the few I have used though:

Footscray: Obviously pretty scummy, but I never had a problem there. Saw a few dodgy looking people, but I felt safe enough, even at night. Had a few druggies ask me for money, but that would be the extent of it.

St Albans: Only ever used it once, and I hope I never have to again. Didn't feel safe, heaps of freaks just stared at me, wasn't nice.

Flinders St: Ok. Although once I got trapped in there, since I only had my v/line ticket, and at both gates the guy wasn't standing there to let me out :p

Flemington Bridge: Only ever gone past it, and it looked dodgy as anything. Do not want.

Royal Park: Was pretty good.

Southern Cross: Easily the safest I think.

Richmond: Only ever been there for the footy. Apart from being pushed around by large footy crowds, I found it ok. Didn't look too bad.

Malvern (I think): Only used it once to help my brother clean out his house, but didn't really get to take in the surroundings, since I had to run to catch the train.

V/Line trains on the other hand are great, and I never have problems at any stations to Southern Cross from South Geelong.

Jordanville is my local. Haven't had an issue with it, only thing is that I can never get a park and have to go down the road a fair bit in the 4P area, which when I'm going to uni means I go over the limit however I've never received a ticket.

Don't like Richmond station. The line-up to touch on after the footy, especially the two North finals this year, was anarchy, and it's hard to get into because the entrances are always shut on other days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

glenbervie: what is its purpose being so close to strathmore?

does anyone know the history behind why it was created?
That spins me out, especially when it is only a 6-7 minute walk to Essendon.

Its the same with West Footscray, Middle Footscray & Footscray stations all being within a 15 minute walk and on the same line

Flinders Street is cramped, overcrowded and s**t.

Need to clear everything except the clock and olde brick front and start again.

Last edited:
The ones near footy grounds.

But Hawthorn is a nice, classic old station and Glenferrie is cool. I have a mate who lives out in Ringwood and I don't think there's a more glum and depressing station. I used to hate the rare trips out there for that alone, it would always make me feel homesick for some reason. Even Camberwell, for a white collar suburb, is pretty average. West Footscray however is really good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back