Best Australian World Cup Team (99, 03, 07, 15)

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon McGrath, Warne, Lee etc would dismantle our current batting lineup bar Smith.

100/1 that Finch survives an over from peak McGrath without knicking off.

Then again I wouldn't fancy Bevan too much against Johnson either.

I think ultimately the bowling of the current side, outside of Johnson and Starc, would get taken to the cleaners by the batting line ups of all the other teams.

2007 > 2003 > 1999 > 2015 for mine. 2007 on paper no real weaknesses which I don't think you can say for the other 3.

It's a good question.

1999:M Waugh, Gilchrist, Ponting, Lehmann, S. Waugh, Bevan, Moody, Warne, Reiffel, Fleming, McGrath

2003: Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Lehmann, Bevan, Symonds, Hogg, Bichel, Lee, McGrath

2007: Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, Symonds, Watson, Clarke, Hussey, Hogg, Bracken, Tait, McGrath

2015: Finch, Warner, Smith, Clarke, Maxwell, Watson, Haddin, Faulkner Johnson, Starc, Hazelwood

From memory I always thought 2007 was the best and most dominant side, they never looked like losing. Looking at those teams I think they had the best batting line up, although maybe 2003 had better bowling.

Pretty debatable between 2007/2003 for bowling attack, since Bracken was a definite upgrade on Bichel. Tait and Lee pretty close, when he got on the park Tait's performances were at least compatible to Lee. Plus in 2007 edition Watto was still decent with the ball. The batting definitely stronger.

100/1 that Finch survives an over from peak McGrath without knicking off.

lol. I reckon it would take two deliveries. the first one Finch would play and miss outside off, so the next delivery would be almost identical, cept 5cm closer to the stumps where finch would knick it through to the keeper.

As big a critic as I am of Tait, he was monstrous during 07. Ponting was bringing him on during the power plays and nobody could get near him. Didn't take a lot of wickets, but forced batsmen into taking more risks v Hoggy, which was never the best idea.

As big a critic as I am of Tait, he was monstrous during 07. Ponting was bringing him on during the power plays and nobody could get near him. Didn't take a lot of wickets, but forced batsmen into taking more risks v Hoggy, which was never the best idea.

Actually Tait (3rd) took more wickets than Hogg (4th) and Bracken (6th), who was the number one ODI bowler at the time (IIRC).

Thinking about it again I'll take 2007. That batting lineup is incredible and the bowling very strong as well.

2015 had the best bowling but maybe the worst batting.

1999: M Waugh, Gilchrist, Ponting, Lehmann, S. Waugh, Bevan, Moody, Warne, Reiffel, Fleming, McGrath

2003: Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Lehmann, Bevan, Symonds, Hogg, Bichel, Lee, McGrath

2007: Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, Symonds, Watson, Clarke, Hussey, Hogg, Bracken, Tait, McGrath

2015: Finch, Warner, Smith, Clarke, Maxwell, Watson, Haddin, Faulkner Johnson, Starc, Hazelwood

1999 > 2003 > 2007 > 2015

1. Gilchrist
2. M Waugh
3. Ponting (VC)
4. Clarke
5. S Waugh (C)
6. Hussey
7. Bevan
8. Johnson
9. Lee
10. Warne
11. McGrath

My team could probably still win the World Cup today.

The funny thing about Hogg is that he wasn't far off not playing in the 2007 World Cup when the selectors faffed around with 4 quicks and Cameron White at #7.

They brought back Hoggy for the tri-series finals (which we lost) and the Chappell-Hadlee series (which we lost) and 21 wickets @ 15.8 suggests they made the right call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Hoggy, but I can't agree with that call at all.

Warne: 194 matches, 293 wickets @ 25.7 (SR 36.3, ER 4.2)
Hogg: 123 matches, 156 wickets @ 26.8 (SR 35.6, ER 4.5)

Warne took 32 WC wickets @ 19.5. Hogg took 34 @ 19.2.

Their records are pretty comparable and Warne did it for longer. Hogg did most of his work in the middle overs. His job was to get through his overs quickly and economically and try and nab a wicket or two. Warne did that and was also used as a strike bowler and during the death overs. Was immense in the 1999 World Cup.

Hogg is Australia's clear #2 and right up in there in international discussions.

I'd have to say 2007. They utterly dominated the tournament the entire way through, only time it looked like we were being seriously challenged was when Smith and de Villiers were going hammer and tongs for their first 20 overs in the group stage game against the Proteas (and even then they were chasing close to 400).

Batsmen as good as Hussey and Symonds were hardly utilised in the middle order, such was the utter dominance of the guys at the top (Hayden and Ponting in particular).

Zero weakness in the bowling. McGrath, Bracken and Hogg were three of the best ODI bowlers we've seen and the form Tait was in at the time was devastating.

In the grand scheme of things of course it's a good thing. Don't think he'd be in our "greatest WC XI" side like one poster suggested.

Who would you prefer in his place?

1999: M Waugh, Gilchrist, Ponting, Lehmann, S. Waugh, Bevan, Moody, Warne, Reiffel, Fleming, McGrath

1999 > 2003 > 2007 > 2015

1. Gilchrist
2. M Waugh
3. Ponting (VC)
4. Clarke
5. S Waugh (C)
6. Hussey
7. Bevan
8. Johnson
9. Lee
10. Warne
11. McGrath

My team could probably still win the World Cup today.

Hayden? Marto? Symonds?

Hussey scored 5,442 runs @ 48 coming in mostly at 6/7.

He didn't do a lot in the 2007/11 World Cups but he makes my side any day of the week.

Completely agree.

But. This thread is about WC cricket and unfortunately Hussey's overall record doesn't stack up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2007. We smashed everyone, by a lot. Only time our bowling looked vulnerable was when South Africa were about 2-220 after 32 chasing 380. No dominance of that proportion has been seen at a world cup before surely.

Thinking about it again I'll take 2007. That batting lineup is incredible and the bowling very strong as well.

2015 had the best bowling but maybe the worst batting.

No way i would rate our recent attack the best, for one thing we have to be realistic and accept that not playing a frontline spinner is something we only got away with due to being at home whereas attacks like the 2007 one would have been better equipped for playing anywhere in the cricket world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back