Food, Drink & Dining Out Best Burger Places

Remove this Banner Ad

Been trying all these new American-ish burger places the past couple of years as they've been springing up. And a couple of mates are leaving me to shame with their extensive trekking.

After all that, we're a bit confused as to why all the love for the over-sweet, sickly-greasy, damp concoctions that are being dished up. Find 8-Bit, Royale Brothers, Huxta etc. completely overrated. Brioche tastes like it's made from sugar and water, just because the patty is greasy doesn't mean it is juicy, and the sauces on these have been like liquid lollies.

The simple burger made from ground beef that can be found at any "bar and grill" or steakhouse in the US sounds easy to replicate, but doesn't seem to be the case. I think we're over-complicating the process here. And no doubt the difference in the beef between countries has an effect. All these new burger joints taste like the cheap-chain burger joints in the states, and nowhere near as good as In-n-Out.

Rockpool gets it just about right, although dunno about ripping your a***hole out of your wallet to pay for it. Down the price scale, prefer Andrews to the sweet things. And Embassy have been ripping out better burgers for 30 odds years. A bit more "Aussie" than the new hipster gang, but better nonetheless.

I hear you. Embassy burger > these new places. I prefer a burger from my local fish n chip shop.

How to be a trendy burger:

About 20% smaller diameter than most fast food burgers
Shiny bun
A sauce that drips absolutely everywhere
Lots of ingredients but almost too much of them
Be $12.99 and never included chips, or 'fries' in that price
Never be in the city

I get called a hipster but I'm one of the only campaigners on here who doesn't eat up all this 'ohhh burgers so cool' hype. The irony.

Look, they can be very nice, but sometimes the 'best' burgers are these ones that just taste a lot like salt. I dunno.

And I like savoury and salt and a lot of different foods. It's great fun going out with your girlfriend and checking out new restaurants and eateries but at the same time... these places are like middle class versions of trying harder.

Melbourne will make anything overpriced and trendy. It's in our nature. We have a lot of astute marketers in this city. And, as if the two were connected, a lot trend-hopping scene-sters.

What's with Aperol Spritzes at the moment? Everywhere. Yet, Campari and Aperol are pretty much yuck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How to be a trendy burger:

About 20% smaller diameter than most fast food burgers
Shiny bun
A sauce that drips absolutely everywhere
Lots of ingredients but almost too much of them
Be $12.99 and never included chips, or 'fries' in that price
Never be in the city

I get called a hipster but I'm one of the only campaigners on here who doesn't eat up all this 'ohhh burgers so cool' hype. The irony.

Why you mad bro?

Merrywell
8bit
Trailer Park Taverna
Royal Stack
Huxtaburger

Are all in the city.

And I don't see burgers being 'trendy' - I'm only 27 and I've been searching for burgers (and pies btw) since I was a kid.

And the whole American BBQ, yeah I've been chasing good American BBQ, since visiting the US.

Vietnamese food is getting pretty popular too, is this only a hipster thing? How about Mexican food or Spanish tapas?

Melbournian's are spoilt for choice!!

Eadie's on Sunday night. I'll admit I enjoyed the gimmick of being in a train carriage 6 stories above an apartment block with decent beer in hand.

Burgers are quite pricey for what you get and the sides are all battered and fried so you will feel greasy afterwards if you have anything other than the burger.
The burgers are decent, the patties themselves are the hero. Juicy, cooked well (medium to medium rare), burgers a little on the small side. Most burgers have two patties in them though so can't complain.
Decent place to take a visitor to Melbourne.

Eadie's on Sunday night. I'll admit I enjoyed the gimmick of being in a train carriage 6 stories above an apartment block with decent beer in hand.

Burgers are quite pricey for what you get and the sides are all battered and fried so you will feel greasy afterwards if you have anything other than the burger.
The burgers are decent, the patties themselves are the hero. Juicy, cooked well (medium to medium rare), burgers a little on the small side. Most burgers have two patties in them though so can't complain.
Decent place to take a visitor to Melbourne.

Easeys? And yeah that joint is good, chips just average though. Any joint that has Melbourne Bitter on tap is alright by me.

Why you mad bro?

Merrywell
8bit
Trailer Park Taverna
Royal Stack
Huxtaburger

Are all in the city.

And I don't see burgers being 'trendy' - I'm only 27 and I've been searching for burgers (and pies btw) since I was a kid.

And the whole American BBQ, yeah I've been chasing good American BBQ, since visiting the US.

Vietnamese food is getting pretty popular too, is this only a hipster thing? How about Mexican food or Spanish tapas?

Melbournian's are spoilt for choice!!
Why so defensive?

I love this city. I live here, hours away from my family, because I like it so much. It's exciting and the closest thing Australia has to a city where you don't feel like you're missing out on anything. I know it's full of hipster twats but then again so is Perth and so is everywhere... because hipsters are naturally dull people who gravitate towards beards and smuggery and career coffee-making because it's easy and they've got no personality.

I like that you get big trends here and it's a city crazy enough that a bar named after George Costanza and laundromats styled on the Sopranos can exist. Sure it's w***ery and a bit pretentious but it's still not boring.

I'm just saying, you have to give these things s**t. The food might be awesome at Chin Chin, but you have to look at yourself and admit "I've just spent two hours waiting and $100 on cocktails in the process..." You have to have a sense of humour about yourself being part of this w***ery culture. And you can still admit these things are crass and lame and a bit OTT but still enjoy them. I'm not saying all burger places are s**t, I'm just saying it's pretty stupid.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying w***ery – wanking is fun!

By the way, Vietnamese and tapas don't get weekly spreads in Broadsheet and you don't see some new Vietnamese place opening up and getting two hour queues four months after opening. You really can't compare it. You're a bit of a tool if you're also trying to say Vietnamese is "getting popular." I know this post is riddled in facetiousness but come on, Vietnamese food has been popular in Australia since the 1970s. That and Chinese and kebabs and Lygon Street are so embedded into our eating-out culture, they literally spawned sayings like "I'm not a racist, Asians bring good food with em!"

Korean barbecue, "slaw," sliders, wings and hot sauces, and hamburgers are part of a trendy thing. You have to be blind to not see that. No one settles for a good old fashioned, classic American diner-inspired restaurant on a Sunday night out of routine and comfort. It's not like going to the pub and having a parma and pot because it's where you and dad used to before the footy, or it's the same place your folks used to eat at at your age, or whatever. They are not part of routine. No Huxtaburger is 33 years old or is almost a metaphor and signpost for Australian immigration policies.

TLDR u wrong sucka!

Easeys? And yeah that joint is good, chips just average though. Any joint that has Melbourne Bitter on tap is alright by me.
Easey's, my bad. TBH wasn't a fan of the sides, the dim sims could have been good if they weren't double-battered and fried within an inch of their life.

I tend to like any burger place that makes the patty the hero of the burger, not 47 different toppings that means you get a mouth full of mush with little to no meat flavour.

No such thing as a good hamburger. It's minced junk.

When was the last time you saw in your bun a nice cut of pure meat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back