• Riewoldt

Votes: 97 39.4%
  • Maric

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Rwnce

Votes: 37 15.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he was the best choice at the time. Let Cotch learn to play for another few seasons then take over. Every time lids was captain, he did well. So imo he was the best choice.
It would be interesting to see how Lids would have gone... from memory he struggled with the tag more than Cotch... imo of course...

throw everything and the kitchen sink at Dyson Heppel and make him the skipper... we would win a flag in couple of years with him in our midfield!
We have a better player than Dyson, Reece Conca :$

It would be interesting to see how Lids would have gone... from memory he struggled with the tag more than Cotch... imo of course...
True, but he was also the only player worth stopping
Lids has also had really good games every time he's stood in as captain, seems to thrive on the responsibilty

As someone who knew jack through his early years, did athletics with him for years, had someone mentioned to me then that he would one day be a contender for captain of an afl club... i would have said you are dreaming, not in a million years. He was immature and a bit of a tool to be honest. Obviously hes matured but i hold my doubts someone can change that much.

The leadership group is heavily influenced by Dimma hence no Jack, and Steve Morris is in, to say the players don't want jack in there is a it disingenuous, it has dimma said hands all over it, Jack should be captain full stop.

As someone who knew jack through his early years, did athletics with him for years, had someone mentioned to me then that he would one day be a contender for captain of an afl club... i would have said you are dreaming, not in a million years. He was immature and a bit of a tool to be honest. Obviously hes matured but i hold my doubts someone can change that much.

Must disagree. For all Jack's "passion" he doesn't have the maturity. IMO, Cotch is the man. He sat Luke Hodge on his arse.

The players preferred Morris to Jack at the end of 2014 and Chaplin ahead of him in 2013 as Jack was not mature enough then. Jack showed this season he has matured and is worth adding back to the leadership group. http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-07-10/richmonds-undercover-leader

It would be counter-productive to panic and make radical changes to the leadership group and this would most likely cause division in the team. Keep Cotch as leader and promote Jack as a leader of the forwards IMO

reckon cotchin will be an animal in 2016, he will learn and be stung from his mistakes and shortcominggs and now his bub, and marriage is getting more settled he will have a more relaxed off family lifestyle than in 2015 which, no doubt sucked him from energy and sleep. everything seems perfect for cotch to have his best year ever.

I actually reject he(Lids) struggled more than cotch as he still got 20 p's with the tag and tagged others to boot. Cotch has got under 10 p's when tagged consistently.

reckon cotchin will be an animal in 2016,.
One would think. And I hope so. But I feel like he doesn't have that burning desire to come back and prove he can be a strong leader that will be respected. His vibe reads "Oh it's just a game, can't wait for summer, where's my free Australian Open tickets?".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually reject he(Lids) struggled more than cotch as he still got 20 p's with the tag and tagged others to boot. Cotch has got under 10 p's when tagged consistently.
He's also got enough votes to fairly win a Brownlow . He's form has declined as he has been required to play more inside and as per the GF that was the only role available as there was no relief . Any player is easily shut down if they only play one role .
The recent addition of mature aged players Miles , Moore, lambert and Townsend are examples of the club knowing the lack of inside mids is a issue.
Lids has never been forced to play only inside .
Iirc jack opted out of the leadership group , belief that dimma led a campaign against him or anything similar is flawed .

Cotchin absolutely no question at all , Robbo is a pigeon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did pigeons ever do to you? ;)

Scrap the captaincy. It's lost meaning in the modern game.

Worth considering if it can do more good for the team/club...

I personally think we will see the best of Cotch going forward, as someone else said hes been married, got his first child, young captain etc, so many things on his plate at such a young age..

For those that say hes to nice etc, have a look at him in the packs, hes a mongrel and a competitive animal, hes not that nice on the field and gives 100% even when hes beaten! The appointment was made by the players a few years ago and i see it as a long term vision, he will be our skipper for many years to come IMO and a bloody good one at that!

Just looking over some roar vision clips today and it just seems so obvious that cotchin isn't very comfortable in interviews when compared to say riewoldt or miles. I think those guys just look like they would be comfortable and would enjoy being leaders. that doesn't mean cotchin's not a good leader in other areas but my gut tells me that captaincy doesn't fully suit him. he just doesn't look comfortable and there are other guys who do. some may say that he will grow into the role which is true to some extent. but i feel like it makes more sense to have people playing to their strengths in any organisation. having players who lead through their ability like cotchin and edwards in the leadership group is fine because at the end of the day the other players look up to them because they are guns. but i think the captain and vice-captain should be naturally gifted communicators because they have to take all the heat from the media and also inspire their team and supports through their words and communication skills.

ps. don't get me wrong, cotchin is actually my favourite player, i just don't think it's going to work out long term and i can see his brain doesn't work like it needs to to be a good media performer

Communication within the 'four walls' and appearing polished in a TV interview are very different things. I get the feeling Cotch is so wary of saying something even mildly controversial that he thinks through every word before it leaves his mouth. The result is that he doesn't sound at all natural when being interviewed. I'm sure he'd sound a lot more comfortable without the captaincy but that doesn't mean he's the wrong man for the job.

Communication within the 'four walls' and appearing polished in a TV interview are very different things. I get the feeling Cotch is so wary of saying something even mildly controversial that he thinks through every word before it leaves his mouth. The result is that he doesn't sound at all natural when being interviewed. I'm sure he'd sound a lot more comfortable without the captaincy but that doesn't mean he's the wrong man for the job.
Get KB to teach how to talk on the media

Back