Best concerts attended

Remove this Banner Ad

At the Memorial Drive tennis courts in the 1970's I attended Jesus Christ Superstar featuring Trevor White, Jon English & Marcia Hines.

I don't have a religious bone in my body, but by hell that was one fantastic performance.

I saw that show. It was great, but I remember it being on at the Festival Theatre.:confused:

Foo Fighters were pretty awesome, and if it wasnt for a few dick headss pushing people around in the mosh it would of been a perfect show. Tenacious D were great as well, and I loved the ****ed Up set even if most of the crowd had no idea what the hell was happening. Completely the wrong gig for them, and I hope they come back with some bands similar to them to play to a crowd that gets it.

Midnight Oil, Heaven 2002 :thumbsu:

This concert was my favorite of all time as well. Was their final tour, it was packed to the rafters and they just blew the roof off the place. I've never heard a crowd react like I did that night.

Hopefully Foo Fighers tonight can be added to the list!

Cant wait!
Well i can say that this was now probably my favourite concert of all time

The crowd was massive, it was a perfect night weather wise, and the Fooeys played a nearly 3 hour set.

Grohl is a real entertainer. He had the audience in the palm of his hand.

Will never forget it!

^ yep - it's right up there for me :thumbsu:

MMMM, not the greatest for me, thought it was a bit spinal tap, compared to ac/dc and pearl jam it comes a distant last .

Best gig, summersult festival , helmet and the bestie boys and violent femmes at the BDO and ministry aand rage.

Went back to see Cold Chisel again last night, seating much closer to the stage this time.

Loved it again. Great Australian rock.

Went back to see Cold Chisel again last night, seating much closer to the stage this time.

Getting on now are we mate? ;)

Sitting down at a gig wtf? I hope you didn't complain about the volume cos you know what they say,

If it's too loud you're too old....

Funny thing is the whole show was seated but the closer you were to the stage the easier it was to stand and do the old bloke's impersonation of dancing. :p Felt more like I was screaming along with Barnesy and could appreciate Mossy's fretwork up close.

Gotta go now, fire up the black V8 ute and get the 8 track pumping. ;)

Funny thing is the whole show was seated but the closer you were to the stage the easier it was to stand and do the old bloke's impersonation of dancing. :p Felt more like I was screaming along with Barnesy and could appreciate Mossy's fretwork up close.

Ahh yes, we've all been there. Well us older blokes anyway. The Tassie Two Step is a severely under appreciated dance form.

Gotta go now, fire up the black V8 ute and get the 8 track pumping. ;)

The old 8 track, Bruce Springsteen's Rosalita blaring out of the windows I imagine?

I took my old man last night not sure what to expect, I'm not a chisel fan but I can say they were fantastic. I would go again just to watch Ian Moss on the guitar :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The old 8 track, Bruce Springsteen's Rosalita blaring out of the windows I imagine?

Rosalita, Thunder Road, Born to Run, mullet just blowin' in the breeze

I left my heart to the sappers round Khe Sanh ... :cool:

I took my old man last night not sure what to expect, I'm not a chisel fan but I can say they were fantastic. I would go again just to watch Ian Moss on the guitar :thumbsu:

Ian Moss was just brilliant again. And his ability to perform knowing Jimmy is lurking is unparalleled. Jimmy tends to leave Phil Small alone ... Phil looks like he still hits hard. ;)

Well i can say that this was now probably my favourite concert of all time

The crowd was massive, it was a perfect night weather wise, and the Fooeys played a nearly 3 hour set.

Grohl is a real entertainer. He had the audience in the palm of his hand.

Will never forget it!

Couldn't agreee more! Definitley the best concert I have ever seen! Dave Grohl = GOD.

I saw that show. It was great, but I remember it being on at the Festival Theatre.:confused:

I checked with my sister who took me to see it, she said it was an open air performance and she thought the Memorial Drive tennis courts sounded correct.

I checked with my sister who took me to see it, she said it was an open air performance and she thought the Memorial Drive tennis courts sounded correct.

Coincidentally, John English is on page 13 of today's paper, being photographed outside the Cathedral, as he was with the original cast in the 70's.

"we opened just over there at Memorial Drive"

:thumbsu:

Coincidentally, John English is on page 13 of today's paper...
Saw him last night at the Rockwiz Xmas show at Thebby and he got the biggest cheer of anyone when he came on stage. Surprised him. Surprised everyone really. Outstanding rendition of Lennon's 'Merry Xmas:War is over' then launched into his role as Judas from Jesus Christ Superstar with "Don't you get me wrong" (probably not its real title. As he said soon after, he was in it 40 years ago when it opened in Adelaide at the same theatre. A great fun show, but not a concert.

However per footyhead07's comments a few posts back about 8 tracks, when the Rockwiz Orchestra was doing their 'Guess the song from the opening riffs' bit they played Led Zeppelin's 'Been a long time since I rock and rolled'.
By the magic of music it was the mid 70s once more. I was 18 again and part of a group crammed into the back of my mate's FJ panel van as we cruised slowly along Hindley Street. Warm night, rear doors open, cassette recorder pumping it out. Weird how music does that but in this instance I wasn't ungrateful.

Problem solvered - Jon English was interviewed and he mentioned that JCS show started at Memorial Drive for 4 shows and then moved to the AFT to finish the season.

So we were both right.

Saw Grinderman last night at HQ. Outstanding. My ears are still ringing.

Nick Cave has been around as long as Barnesy and is still as relevant as ever.

Warren Ellis is, well, mad as a cut snake. which makes for a great show.

in adelaide visiting family in hospital, spontaneously got an elton john ticket. Am in the front row, youngest person by decades...

Did we see you on the big screen last night?

It was a great show too (and I saw guys with Cold Chisel t-shirts so it wasn't just me ;)).

A cavalcade of hits through 40 odd years. Elton's band was tight with a couple of founding members and a couple of brilliant new cellists. A talented group of backing singers too. Elton seemed to be really enjoying himself and can still tinkle the ivories and play a crowd.

Speaking of the crowd, I know it's a sort of Day on the Green and involves people who just want to be seen at an event while sipping chardy ... but I wonder why some people bother going when they yap among themselves all night and don't listen to the music.

A bit disappointed he didn't play Pinball Wizard or Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds but had a terrific time listening to the great pianoman effortlessly roll back the years.

Did we see you on the big screen last night?

It was a great show too (and I saw guys with Cold Chisel t-shirts so it wasn't just me ;)).

A cavalcade of hits through 40 odd years. Elton's band was tight with a couple of founding members and a couple of brilliant new cellists. A talented group of backing singers too. Elton seemed to be really enjoying himself and can still tinkle the ivories and play a crowd.

Speaking of the crowd, I know it's a sort of Day on the Green and involves people who just want to be seen at an event while sipping chardy ... but I wonder why some people bother going when they yap among themselves all night and don't listen to the music.

A bit disappointed he didn't play Pinball Wizard or Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds but had a terrific time listening to the great pianoman effortlessly roll back the years.

I've seen EJ about 10 times live in Adelaide - didn't go last night due to other commitments - still one of the best live performers world wide - and great value time wise.

Did he play the extended and slightly revised 'Rocket Man' - usually don't like this being done with classics, but I heard it at his last concert and it was the best version that he has ever done.

What was the venue like?

I think Rocket Man went about 10 minutes - it had more endings than Lord of the Rings. :) Maybe it was a bit indulgent but great theatre (and it is Elton's show after all) and the crowd lapped it up. After about 6 minutes I half expected him to show the William Shatner version on the backing screen for the lulz. ;)

Didn't mind Cooper's as a venue. It had the feel of the Day on the Green outer suburban winery until you walk out into suburban Regency Park. Didn't notice traffic noise from South and Regency Roads.

And a well done to the SA Police who made exiting the venue effortless for patrons with some strategic road closures (maybe motorists trying to get by would not agree). But we were able to get away from our car park easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back