Best concerts attended

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah that's reminds me of more for my list - Elton John at the Honolulu entertainment centre, october 2000. Was a private gig* that was the highlight of an end of year work function for alleged high sales achievers :cool: that year. Last of the great dot com era parties really.

* can 8000 people ever really be a 'private gig' ?

A special mention to The Two Cellists - couple of young guys Stjepan Hauser and Luka Sulic who are amazing Cello players. Have never heard Smells Like Teen Spirit or Highway to Hell played on cello. Well I have now.

They are part of Elton's band for the tour but perform a few tracks to kick off Elton's set.

Here they are playing Welcome to the Jungle.

[YOUTUBE]mSByjqMGtaU[/YOUTUBE]

A special mention to The Two Cellists - couple of young guys Stjepan Hauser and Luka Sulic who are amazing Cello players. Have never heard Smells Like Teen Spirit or Highway to Hell played on cello. Well I have now.

They are part of Elton's band for the tour but perform a few tracks to kick off Elton's set.

Here they are playing Welcome to the Jungle.

[YOUTUBE]mSByjqMGtaU[/YOUTUBE]

They would have been a good act on one of the 'guess that song' segments on 'Spicks and Specks':D

The Two Cellists were the surprise of the night! Hahaha, I dunno about big screen, the ticketec girl lied, I was like 5 rows back directly in front! I'll be speaking to her manager about that:p. Damn Elton played well though, I didn't know if I'd know enough songs to last through a whole concert (especially when he opened with my favourite of his) but I kept recognising most of them. Also never realised his fingers were so short and stubby, amazing how he plays the music he does, and still continues to put on a show and have such stage presence while spending nearly the whole time sitting down, and his voice sounds the best it ever has. Meat Loaf, listen up!

Being a kid of the 90's however, was shattered I didn't hear anything from the Lion King!

Being right up front, can't say I seen too many "distracted" fans, however going out for food and drinks there seemed to be a lot of people not even facing the concert. Also seen a few cold chisel shirts.

Thought the bottle neck trying to get out was pretty crap, as bad as the bottle neck to try and get in to AC/DC at Adelaide Oval.

Problem solvered - Jon English was interviewed and he mentioned that JCS show started at Memorial Drive for 4 shows and then moved to the AFT to finish the season.

So we were both right.

It's an amazing coincidence for Jon English to talk about that just as we were getting ready for our gunfight at the O.K. Corral ... ;)

:thumbsu:

It's an amazing coincidence for Jon English to talk about that just as we were getting ready for our gunfight at the O.K. Corral ... ;)

:thumbsu:

I do understand that he reads Big Footy - apparently he doesn't post, although I have long suspected that Frank Spencer Clone was an alias.:D

Foo Fighters were wicked a few weeks ago, lined up at 11am and got front row as you would hope. Singer from ****ed Up came and dived in to the crowd right in between my girlfriend and I. Also told the crowd to wear sunscreen right in front of me then touched my nose and said I was sunburnt :D (but :()

My son and I went to Dropkick Murphys back a couple months ago at Thebby, easily the best concert I've ever been to and I've seen shitloads of bands. Down the front of the mosh pit, towards the end of the concert Al Barr the lead singer signalled for us to get on stage so the two of us hot to see the last 4 songs from YP there. Went back stage with them after, just the best bunch of blokes you could ever meet. I'm guessing that most of you won't of heard of them, their song Shipping Up to Boston was the theme to last years AFL commercial. Best night of my life

My son and I went to Dropkick Murphys back a couple months ago at Thebby, easily the best concert I've ever been to and I've seen shitloads of bands. Down the front of the mosh pit, towards the end of the concert Al Barr the lead singer signalled for us to get on stage so the two of us hot to see the last 4 songs from YP there. Went back stage with them after, just the best bunch of blokes you could ever meet. I'm guessing that most of you won't of heard of them, their song Shipping Up to Boston was the theme to last years AFL commercial. Best night of my life

Saw them at No Sleep Til about a year ago, were very good :thumbsu:

Was a Pogues fan in the eighties until Shane McGowan burned out and left (got kicked out). Discovered the DK Murphies quite some time after that so my penchant for that style of music was revived. Sorry I missed them this time around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

best show you've been to is awesome praise but they're an awesome band. green fields of france has to be the coolest, manliest mellow song ever :D

i think the best show i've seen was bjork but a couple are up there. the cure at the ent. centre almost played for three hours, but i was 17 i think, i appreciated it on a whole new level a few years later

Lots and lots and lots of shows attended over the years but some that stand out -

Died Pretty - Tivoli Hotel, Adelaide, 'Free Dirt' tour 1986.
Celibate Rifles - Austral Hotel beer garden, March 1986 ($2 entry)
Celibate Rifles, X, Ed Kuepper, Toys Went Berserk + about 6 other bands playing on all 3 levels - Sydney Trade Union Club, New Years Eve/Day 1986/7 (We crashed our hire car on the way back to the house we were staying at when our driver fell asleep at the wheel).
Happy Hate Me Nots - Austral Beer Garden 1987.
ALL - Phonecian Club & Paddington RSL, Sydney, Dec 1990-Jan 1991.
Propagandhi & All You Can Eat - Crown & Anchor 1994.
Psychotic Turnbuckles - Mosman Skif Club at Spit Bridge some time during the late 80's. (Band playing with a giant glass window behind them while a massive lightening storm was going on behind them, lighting up Middle Harbour)
The Cramps - Thebarton Theatre 1986. (Some people have told me it was earlier than 86 but i'm positive it was May 86).
Hard-Ons & Massappeal - Tivoli Hotel, December 1986. (Hard-Ons first tour here and they were pretty s**t, but Massappeal utterly obliterated them and were a major highlight).

There's many more but for some reason these stand out. My memory must be starting to fail me a bit because i was seeing multiple bands every week (weeknights and weekends).

I've only put a few international or interstate bands here but must mention King Snake Roost at the Sydney Trade Union Club 1987/88 NYE show. Adelaide band but had just moved to Sydney. That was the loudest show i have ever heard. It was so loud i actually lost my balance and fell into someone.

I was at that New Years Eve at the Trade - man talk about good times!

Lots and lots and lots of shows attended over the years but some that stand out -

Died Pretty - Tivoli Hotel, Adelaide, 'Free Dirt' tour 1986.
Celibate Rifles - Austral Hotel beer garden, March 1986 ($2 entry)
Celibate Rifles, X, Ed Kuepper, Toys Went Berserk + about 6 other bands playing on all 3 levels - Sydney Trade Union Club, New Years Eve/Day 1986/7 (We crashed our hire car on the way back to the house we were staying at when our driver fell asleep at the wheel).
Happy Hate Me Nots - Austral Beer Garden 1987.
ALL - Phonecian Club & Paddington RSL, Sydney, Dec 1990-Jan 1991.
Propagandhi & All You Can Eat - Crown & Anchor 1994.
Psychotic Turnbuckles - Mosman Skif Club at Spit Bridge some time during the late 80's. (Band playing with a giant glass window behind them while a massive lightening storm was going on behind them, lighting up Middle Harbour)
The Cramps - Thebarton Theatre 1986. (Some people have told me it was earlier than 86 but i'm positive it was May 86).
Hard-Ons & Massappeal - Tivoli Hotel, December 1986. (Hard-Ons first tour here and they were pretty s**t, but Massappeal utterly obliterated them and were a major highlight).

There's many more but for some reason these stand out. My memory must be starting to fail me a bit because i was seeing multiple bands every week (weeknights and weekends).

I've only put a few international or interstate bands here but must mention King Snake Roost at the Sydney Trade Union Club 1987/88 NYE show. Adelaide band but had just moved to Sydney. That was the loudest show i have ever heard. It was so loud i actually lost my balance and fell into someone.

I was at that NYE at with X and The Rifles at The Trade Union Club, we had a minor fender bender on the way into the city that night. Somehow I ended up at Bondi Beach as the sun came up wearing a nightshirt WTF! Great times!

I was at that NYE at with X and The Rifles at The Trade Union Club, we had a minor fender bender on the way into the city that night. Somehow I ended up at Bondi Beach as the sun came up wearing a nightshirt WTF! Great times!

From memory (And it's a bit hazy) Peno got up during the Rifles' set and sang an AC/DC cover with them.

James Baker was selling hot dogs outside.

From memory (And it's a bit hazy) Peno got up during the Rifles' set and sang an AC/DC cover with them.

James Baker was selling hot dogs outside.

As far as I recall the Rifles played a complete set of absolute killer covers.

My favourites have been
Slade , .. Around 1971 ..... Jumped the fence at Wayville Showgrounds , great show
Bob Marley ... Around 1971 at Apollo Stadium
AC/DC ..around ' 74 at the Pooraka Hotel
Dead Kennedys .... Around 1982 at Thebarton
The Cramps ... Around 1984 ... ( remember this great show because I got asked to join a band for the first time and I've never looked back happily ) sorry finbar
The Birthday Party / Go Betweens at the Shandon Hotel around 1980
INXS two nights in a row at the Tivoli then the Shandon around 1981
Sonic Youth at Le Rox around '86
Nick Cave ,,, every time I've seen him
Sepultura ... Auckland Town Hall '94 with Sacred Reich
Machine Gun Fellatio ... Big Day Out 'o3
White Stripes ... Thebarton 03
Hoodoo Gurus / Spiderbait Whyalla Sundowner 04
Beastie Boys ... Big Day Out ' 05
Flipper ... Live nightclub 2011
Jimmy Cliff ... Tanks Art Centre Cairns 2013

I am a bit of a music nut , been to heaps of good gigs , hard to conjure up some of note I'm sure they'll come to me another day lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back