Best concerts attended

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember playing that very machine.
Glad to KISS getting their dues - I too saw them in 1980 at the oval - red ticket stated "we play rain, hail or shine" - just as well - it was pretty ordinary weather that evening.
At that time I went to Gilles St primary school and KISS stayed at the Travelodge next door. It was a crazy distraction - fans everywhere & a bunch of us met Paul Stanley

Footage here features KISS army Adelaide roller skating. Footage starts at the Travelodge on South Terrace.

In some ways kids of today miss just how big something like this was in the era.

Two bottles taken back to the deli got you a choc block and kiss bubblegum cards. Friday night was in the mall, shops shut at lunch time Saturday. You went to football in the arvo with your mates and went out with your girlfriend at night. You waited a few nights to watch that movie on VHS

Someone you knew had a shack at mannum, ardrossan, bow hill or goolwa and you'd play board games all l night and fish all day.

Again, not better, just different.

I don't know if people would camp out at memorial drive to see pink?

Anticipating was part of the fun.

Last night the kids chose Godzilla to watch. At 7.1mb/s I had 1.42BRR down in 7 minutes.

Vs how long did we wait to hire Thriller when it came out.....or wait to see Indiana Jones and the Temple if Doom?

Not saying better, but had a lot going for it.

Seeing an act back then was something else. Chances were you would never see them again

Unless it was johnie Farnham of course

Last edited:

Anthrax in 90's thebarton.
Hands of time tour I think

Megadeath, into lungs of he'll, same era same place.

Metallica, ent ctr, 93. Before they became s**t.

Harry Connick Jr, one month later same venue. 3 hours of energy. Best entertainer I've seen. His band covered ride the lightning. I had to take my hat off. Actually better. I didn't believe that was possible

Faith no more, Le rox, 89. Mike Patton is the most versatile singer Alive. They are reforming and touring soon. They say they can now play their songs better too.. hope they cover Mojo.

Devin Townsend in Melbourne last year. Beyond incredible. He's not human.

Twelve foot Ninja melb this year. Seriously good vocalist, great songs, the rest of the band ordinary

Eye of the Enemy, incredible drummer, great songs.

There's others but they've got to be really memorable...?

Stevie wonder memorial drive 85? I mean The guy is blind! How does he do it?!

Sting memorial drive, blue turtles tour, memorial because it was so s**t.

Elton John football park, big stage entertainer.

Dire straits. Went over my head apparently it was good.first superband to play there?

U2 for their lame gay Ness. Yawn . Yeah, make yourself history bono.

Ah yeah Iced Earth when they toured with Matt Barlow , they did Stygian, Dracula and Dante. Lately they suck, as does Barlows new Ashes album. John Schaeffer can't do the fast stuff anymore but won't retire, and the new singer stu block doesn't have Barlows range so they don't do those songs.

Did I see Poison at showgrounds in 89???? Can't remember. Would have only gone to hone in on emotionally vulnerable juiced up teenage girls. Or was that Ah-Ha?. Or Wa Wa nee? Cant remember, but everyone had their window I guess

Last edited:
93 BDO

Midnight Oil at Memorial Drive for 10,9,8 and Red Sails Tours.

Ride at Old Lion in 92 I think.

Ween at Tivoli in Brisbane in 2008

Dinosaur Jr at Thebby when I was temporarily blinded by the strongest skunk ever smoked. They sounded great.

****ed Up and The Chariot at Soundwave a few years ago.

Flaming Lips at BDO one year with half a dozen googs and some acid. Freaked me the **** out.

Gerling at a few BDO's. Criminally under appreciated band.

Thee Oh Sees and Eddy Current Suppression Ring at the Annandale a few years back.

Saw Helmet and The Melvins a few months ago which was the loudest s**t I have ever heard.

My Bloody Valentine (finally) at The Enmore.

Peaches at The Enmore. Crazy lady.

The Black Keys at Browns Mart in Darwin hottest sweatiest gig ever.

Public Enemy/Ice T at Thebby.

Ed Kuepper a thousand times all over Australia. I love you Ed.

93 BDO

Midnight Oil at Memorial Drive for 10,9,8 and Red Sails Tours.

Ride at Old Lion in 92 I think.

Ween at Tivoli in Brisbane in 2008

Dinosaur Jr at Thebby when I was temporarily blinded by the strongest skunk ever smoked. They sounded great.

****ed Up and The Chariot at Soundwave a few years ago.

Flaming Lips at BDO one year with half a dozen googs and some acid. Freaked me the **** out.

Gerling at a few BDO's. Criminally under appreciated band.

Thee Oh Sees and Eddy Current Suppression Ring at the Annandale a few years back.

Saw Helmet and The Melvins a few months ago which was the loudest s**t I have ever heard.

My Bloody Valentine (finally) at The Enmore.

Peaches at The Enmore. Crazy lady.

The Black Keys at Browns Mart in Darwin hottest sweatiest gig ever.

Public Enemy/Ice T at Thebby.

Ed Kuepper a thousand times all over Australia. I love you Ed.
The oils and public enema.

How could I forget them!?

Peter Garrett. I was devastated when a well known household name singer told me he was a phony for his causes and always a politician. Another s**t politician, but wow, how good were they.

One of the giants for sure, and he had do much energy

The oils and public enema.

How could I forget them!?

Peter Garrett. I was devastated when a well known household name singer told me he was a phony for his causes and always a politician. Another s**t politician, but wow, how good were they.

One of the giants for sure, and he had do much energy

Midnight Oil were amazing live.

God help me but the best value concert I've been to was Meatloaf's "Bat out of Hell" tour at Apollo Stadium. The guy is a joke now but was on fire then. The album had just gone mega-big and the tour had clearly been booked when he/it were unknown. Voice, over the top production, small venue - all excellent.
Second would be INXS who I saw in Edinburgh in the late 80s doing their 'Kicks' tour. Musically and theatrically excellent.
Otherwise Lou Reed x 2, both at Thebarton Town Hall I think. Might be hard to justify why this guy's concerts loom so big for me if you're not a Lou Reed fan. He is to me what Ween appears to be to Eddie Dingle.
In no particular order I have seen Bowie x 2 (OK but venues too large), Eurythmics (very good), Richard Clapton (I was forced to go), Russell Morris (superb), Kraftwerk (so, so bad), Beach Boys (appalling), ELO (surprisingly excellent), Hunters and Collectors (didn't enjoy them but partly the venue and my mood), Tina Arena at 'Barossa under the stars' (really good, I was quite surprised). There would be more if I dredged the memory further.

Hmmm...

Iron Maiden - Powerslave tour 1985 @ Thebby (also went to The Number of The Beast tour but Powerslave edged it).

Mick Jagger with Joe Satriani - Bris Entertainment Centre. I think about '90 but my memory's not that good.

Steve Vai - Alien Love Secrets tour. OMFG. Breathtaking. Spine tingling. In fact I got shivers typing about it now.

Slayer - Bris Festival Hall. Have lost count of how many times I've seen Slayer but that was the loudest gig ever. Thought I popped an eardrum when the PA blew during the set!

Megadeth - Bris Festival Hall. Still a fan but despite seeing them also at least half a dozen times, the Festival Hall gig is still the best. Brutal and unrelenting in the early '90's.

Judas Priest - Bris Ent. Centre. No lasers, explosions or s**t, just tight as * metal with the unrivalled vocals of the metal god himself, Rob Halford.

Been to so many concerts (and hundreds more 'gigs') I've forgotten more than I remember but them's the highlights off the top of my head. Special mention to Black Sabbath and the greatest metal vocalist ever, Ronnie James Dio (RIP) @ Thebby ('08?), just 'cos it's the only time I got to see him live after Dio's tour (in about 1986) had the Adelaide leg cancelled.

\m/

Oh, and I too was at KISS, Adelaide Oval, 1980. Massively anticipated and sure, loved it at the time as I was a huge fan in the '70's but not even in my top 20 these days.

1. the best by far would be coldplay at eitihad in 2012, was probably the whole experience though as it was a decision the night before at about 9pm to go with a work college and buy some tickets off of scalpers and drive the next morning for the concert taking the day off work - that work college now being my fiance :) was an amazing concert.

2. Powderfinger in about 2010 in the farewell tour, was my favorite band and was an amazing night :)

Violent Femmes at The Enmore early 90's. Absolutley magic.
The next night saw Midnight Oil at the Sydney Entertainment Centre was good but nowhere near as good as the Femmes.

Soundwave 2012, letlive and Enter Shikari played back to back at the smallest stage as the sun went down. That was a life changing hour or so, easily the #1 and #2 best live sets I've seen.

.... to go with a work college .... that work college now being my fiance ...
Hmmm. So you're in a same-sex relationship with an organised group of professional people with particular aims, duties, and privileges. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just seems a lot of work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm. So you're in a same-sex relationship with an organised group of professional people with particular aims, duties, and privileges. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just seems a lot of work.
s**t my bad, bad enough being engaged to one let alone hundreds :p

Like Powerstuff went to the first Meatloaf concert. Went to the later one but nowhere near as good. I've also been to two Alice Cooper concerts. The first one was made better by the people around me getting into it and joining in the songs. The second was just as good from Alice but for some reason the audience didn't join in.

.... I've also been to two Alice Cooper concerts ....
I remember when the 'Welcome to my Nightmare' concert came to Adelaide in the 70s. I was an after-school casual at a southern suburbs supermarket and our boss said he'd sack anyone who didn't turn up for work. Still burns a bit I didn't throw the job over and go, but realistically I couldn't.

I remember when the 'Welcome to my Nightmare' concert came to Adelaide in the 70s. I was an after-school casual at a southern suburbs supermarket and our boss said he'd sack anyone who didn't turn up for work. Still burns a bit I didn't throw the job over and go, but realistically I couldn't.

From what I heard from more than one critic it wasn't a great concert. Most appreciated the songs and the showmanship but they said there were sound problems. Maybe it was the outdoor venue as the one's I went to were very good.

From what I heard from more than one critic it wasn't a great concert. Most appreciated the songs and the showmanship but they said there were sound problems .....
The big concert experience back then was usually poor, Footy Park especially was diabolical. Poor sound, watching the musicians on screens because you were so far away. When you simultaneously had a bad act (The Beach Boys) it was appalling, that one in particular was like the musical version of the 2007 GF. That's from a Port supporter's point of view in case any Geelong supporters are reading this and thinking I meant it was great.

If you'd told him to shove his job and threw off your apron/coveralls/badge in dramatic fashion it would have made a good Alice Cooper film clip.

The big concert experience back then was usually poor, Footy Park especially was diabolical. Poor sound, watching the musicians on screens because you were so far away.

First ever concert was Dire Straits at Footy Park when I was 14 - went with an older family friend's daughter :D

Thought it and I were the ducks guts at the time though can't remember a lot about the actual show - may have been the pot :oops:

Soundwise, the now long gone Hamilton Hall at the Showgrounds was atrocious - saw The Ramones / Smashing Pumpkins / TISM at the BDO here

If you'd told him to shove his job and threw off your apron/coveralls/badge in dramatic fashion it would have made a good Alice Cooper film clip.
3 seconds of parodying 'School's Out", followed by no money and also my dad kicking me around the block. :oops:

2000 Big Day Out
2002 Big Day Out
2003 Grinspoon & 28 Days at Thebarton Theatre
2006 Robbie Williams at AAMI Stadium & Telstra Dome
2009 Pearl Jam & Ben Harper at Adelaide Oval
2010 Them Crooked Vultures Festival Hall
Powderfinger 2003 & 2010 at Memorial Drive
2011 Foo Fighters at Adelaide Oval
2013 You Am I at Thebarton Theatre, I was 37 weeks pregnant at the time.

The next concert we are going to is The Wiggles in December as my 13 month old is a fan.

Two acts that I haven't seen & would love to see are Sonic Youth & Kylie Minogue.

2000 Big Day Out
2002 Big Day Out
2003 Grinspoon & 28 Days at Thebarton Theatre
2006 Robbie Williams at AAMI Stadium & Telstra Dome
2009 Pearl Jam & Ben Harper at Adelaide Oval
2010 Them Crooked Vultures Festival Hall
Powderfinger 2003 & 2010 at Memorial Drive
2011 Foo Fighters at Adelaide Oval
2013 You Am I at Thebarton Theatre, I was 37 weeks pregnant at the time.

The next concert we are going to is The Wiggles in December as my 13 month old is a fan.

Two acts that I haven't seen & would love to see are Sonic Youth & Kylie Minogue.

You won't see Sonic Youth anytime soon.

Kim and Thurston broke up.

You won't see Sonic Youth anytime soon.

Kim and Thurston broke up.

I heard that a while ago. It was announced the same day that the Crowvertiser used the headline Sonic Youth to describe Adelaide recruiting Crouch. My husband's friend thinks that Sonic Youth have gotten back together because Kim & Thurston recently performed with Yoko Ono, I don't know how true that is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back