Best Ever British XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Cole has been the best player in his position during his career. For quite a few years.
He is a brilliant footballer.
He deserves to be there every bit as much as Gerrard or Scholes.
Takes your rose tinted glasses off or go and read a liverpool forum where you might get the 'cole is s**t' posts you're looking for.

Plenty of Cole is s**t posts on liverpool forums. They seemed to stop in january last year for some reason.

outnumbers then with assists as well.
all you're using is unmeasurable measures to make your argument which makes it weak.

Midfielders need to do more then score & create. Yes, Lampard is better then Gerrard/Scholes & scoring / creating chances but in every other facet of the game both Scholes & Gerrard are superior and better all round players IMO.

Lampard's scoring figures are inflated because of all the penalties.
Still doesn't take away from how brilliant a goalscorer he has been for both Chelsea and England for many years. How many times has he popped up with crucial goals for Chelsea from open play? His late runs into the box are nothing short of exceptional. The fact that at 35 years of age still being an important player for Chelsea says loads about his footballing ability.

He's a brilliant goalscoring midfielder, pure and simple.

Amazing how people can continue to downplay Lampard as a player. This is a man who was key to winning multiple league titles and FA cups as well as a champions league and Europa cups all while breaking the clubs goal scoring record in the process. Will be remembered as one of England's greatest ever midfielders.

Lampard is hugely underrated. Had 10 years of scoring more than 10 goals for Chelsea and his lowest tally for that time was 13. Got over 20 for five seasons in a row as well. In Ancelotti's side, they played the diamond midfield like Liverpool do now? And he sat behind the strikers. That season he was a brilliant creative force.

251 goals for West Ham and Chelsea now. Incredible record.

Bale's Welsh isn't he? Wouldn't include him into my consideration myself imo.

Lampard would come into consideration for me. Chelsea's all time leading goalscorer coming from the midfield isn't anything to be taken lightly.

Wales is in Britain.

Jesus.....Gerrard over Keegan?

Players that I've seen -

------------D.Seaman-------------
G.Neville-T.Adams-R.Ferdinand-A. Cole
----P.Scholes--R.Keane------
R.Giggs----P. Gascoigne-----R.Fowler
-----------A.Shearer--------------

Impossibly hard to do and get a team everyone would agree on.

I wouldn't have Barnes, Dalgish, Lineker, Hansen or Cole in my starting 11.

But that's personal preference.
Do you just hate Liverpool or what?

Alan Hansen is surely one of the best CB's in British history. You could mention his 8 league titles, 2 FA Cups, 4 League Cups and 3 European cups but it wasnt just that. He was an immense player. Bob Paisley said this about him...

"Alan Hansen is the defender with the pedigree of an international striker. He is quite simply the most skilful centre-half I have ever seen in the British game. He is a joy to watch. Alan has always been an excellent footballer, a beautifully balanced player who carries the ball with control and grace"

Dalglish is widely known as the best player in Liverpool's history. We all know how good he was. He easily makes the 11.

As for Barnes, did you not see him play or what? He was pretty much the Gareth Bale of the 80's but better. He had all the physical gifts of Bale, the pace, power, skill but he was also amazingly intelligent on and off the ball, often two steps ahead of everyone else. For a space of about 2-3 years he was the best player in England, then he hurt himself, reinvented himself as central midfielder and started bossing games from the middle of the park.

With respect Shoei you are waaaay off. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lampard may have been an oversight on my behalf. I told you I'd forget someone!

Jesus.....Gerrard over Keegan?

Keegan's on the list.

No one's arguing Bale shouldn't be on the list because he isn't British...

Seriously? You're putting him in the all time greats against those names based on one season?

I may have jumped the gun a bit with Bale and he was definitely one of the last names I added, but in a few years time I don't think his inclusion on lists like this will be in doubt - did you see the winner he scored tonight! There are some players on that list who were consistently excellent footballers throughout their whole career, and some who just burnt extremely brightly for a short amount of time. Michael Owen is another in that Bale category. Injuries cut his career short but for a brief period he was arguably the best player in the world.

Last edited:
Just to confirm Ireland isn't part of Britain therefore Roy Keane wouldn't qualify.

Players from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (Jonny Evans anyone) are eligible for selection.

Do you just hate Liverpool or what?

Alan Hansen is surely one of the best CB's in British history. You could mention his 8 league titles, 2 FA Cups, 4 League Cups and 3 European cups but it wasnt just that. He was an immense player. Bob Paisley said this about him...

"Alan Hansen is the defender with the pedigree of an international striker. He is quite simply the most skilful centre-half I have ever seen in the British game. He is a joy to watch. Alan has always been an excellent footballer, a beautifully balanced player who carries the ball with control and grace"

Dalglish is widely known as the best player in Liverpool's history. We all know how good he was. He easily makes the 11.

As for Barnes, did you not see him play or what? He was pretty much the Gareth Bale of the 80's but better. He had all the physical gifts of Bale, the pace, power, skill but he was also amazingly intelligent on and off the ball, often two steps ahead of everyone else. For a space of about 2-3 years he was the best player in England, then he hurt himself, reinvented himself as central midfielder and started bossing games from the middle of the park.

With respect Shoei you are waaaay off. :)

Nar....I just don't smoke from the Liverpool crack pipe.

Anything better than that? Any reasoning behind your decisions?

Because everyone else can quite clearly see that those three players are exceptional. So im asking why cant you?

Impossibly hard to do and get a team everyone would agree on.
I wouldn't have Barnes, Dalgish, Lineker, Hansen or Cole in my starting 11.
But that's personal preference.[/quote]

1)What part of this did you fail to comprehend?

2)You are known for having a huge bias towards everything and everyone Liverpool related.

3)Where did I say they were not exceptional players?

Haha I always love apollo_creed's contributions to these threads.

"You're biased for including Liverpool players in this list. Now if you were to be impartial what you should have done is included Chelsea player, Chelsea player, Chelsea player, Chelsea player."

You don't even have Stanley Matthews in your team yet you want to call me crazy?

Spose he'd be lucky to make the bench behind Sir John Barnes though right?

You don't even have Stanley Matthews in your team yet you want to call me crazy?

Spose he'd be lucky to make the bench behind Sir John Barnes though right?
I didnt make a team? You gives a flying * if people get knighted. Sir Matt Busby got knighted. Let me know if he won more than just regular old Bob Paisley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back