Best Ever Fantasy Series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing has topped LOTR yet for me.

Big fan of Wheel of Time, First Law Trilogy, Song of Ice and Fire, Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Recently finished The Broken Empire trilogy. Wasn't too bad. There were some cool element in there but could have been done better IMO.

Thomas Covenent series, yuk.

Series by Rothfuss, Sanderson and Scott Lynch are all on my to read list.

Fan of GOT, First Law, KingKiller, Gentleman Bastards, and others.

The Black Company is good, but like any series that long it has it's up's and downs, but def worth a read if like the style.

Currently on second last book of Malazan, it's one of my favourite series so far. First book is probably the weakest, well the first half of the first book mainly, have to push through that.

Tried Tomas Convenant series, and thought was a load of s**t. Understand that it was trailblazing in that it was a protagonist with flaws, which is something hadn't been much of before this series, but it's terrible.

1. A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin – 182 - Read - love
  2. The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien - 130 - Read - love
  3. The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss -116 Read - love
  4. The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson - 85 Reading - love
  5. The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan - 79 - Gave up after about book 7 or 8
  6. The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson - 75
  7. The Gentleman Bastards by Scott Lynch - 66 - Read - Very good
  8. Discworld by Terry Pratchett - 55 -
  9. The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - 47
  10. Harry Potter by JK Rowling - 46 - Only read last year for first time, not as bad as thought it would be
  11. The First Law by Joe Abercrombie - 41 - Read - Very good
  12. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson - 39 Read - Entertaining read
  13. The Dark Tower by Stephen King - 30 Read first book and a half, just lost interest
  14. The Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence - 29
  15. The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb - 24
  16. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien - 23 - read
  17. The Black Company by Glen Cook - 20 read - good but a few flat patches
  18. His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman - 20
  19. Earthsea Cycle by Ursula K Leguin - 19
  20. American Gods by Neil Gaiman - 14 - Read Good
  21. The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis - 14 Read
  22. The Drenai Saga by David Gemmell - 14 - read
  23. Watership Down by Richard Adams - 13
  24. The Riyria Revelations by Michael J Sullivan - 12
  25. Prince of Nothing by R Scott Bakker - 11 Read part way, will try again
  26. The Belgariad by David Eddings - 11
  27. Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay - 11 - Read - Enjoyable
  28. Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolf - 10
  29. The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny - 10
  30. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke - 10 - Read part way, gave up as too slow for me
  31. Raven's Shadow by Anthony Ryan - 10
  32. The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist - 10 - Good
  33. The Demon Cycle by Peter V Brett - 9 - Read

I am AMAZED. no one has mentioned Lois Mcmaster Bujold.

She has won 5 Hugo, 3 Nebula and 2 locus awards for her fantasy books.

Leave out LOTR, King killer, and brandon Sanderson' Popcorn and I would rate
(the below list has more of a YA flavour)

1. Vorkosigan saga by Lois mcmaster bujold (needs to be read in order - not YA).
2. Sabriel / necromancer series by Garth nix
3. Bartimaeus the djinn series by Jonathan stroud
4. Beka Cooper series by tamora pierce
5. keys of the kingdom series by Garth nix
6. Series of unfortunate events by lemony snicket
7. Hunger Games ( yeah, I know).

(apologies to discworld)

I guess a key thing with these books are that no one else has mentioned them

Last edited:

A quick look online at it appears that this series is firmly in the sci-fi camp as opposed to the Fantasy camp?

It is Sci Fi and fantasy, yes. I thought the thread did cover Sci Fi fantasy? If not, her pure fantasy series of two books is also award winning and two of my most recommended books.

1. Curse of chalion (Hugo nominated)
2. Paladin of Souls (Hugo, Nebula and Locus winner trifecta)

Both are excellent with elaborate world building and a a very satisfying ending.

Last edited:
It is Sci Fi and fantasy, yes. I thought the thread did cover Sci Fi fantasy? If not, her pure fantasy series of two books is also award winning and two of my most recommended books.

1. Curse of chalion (Hugo nominated)
2. Paladin of Souls (Hugo, Nebula and Locus winner trifecta)

Both are excellent with elaborate world building and a a very satisfying ending.
Interesting, haven't came across her before, that's why thought she must have been predominately sci-fi, will add those books to my long long list of books to eventually get to...

I am AMAZED. no one has mentioned Lois Mcmaster Bujold.

She has won 5 Hugo, 3 Nebula and 2 locus awards for her fantasy books.

Leave out LOTR, King killer, and brandon Sanderson' Popcorn and I would rate
(the below list has more of a YA flavour)

1. Vorkosigan saga by Lois mcmaster bujold (needs to be read in order - not YA).
2. Sabriel / necromancer series by Garth nix
3. Bartimaeus the djinn series by Jonathan stroud
4. Beka Cooper series by tamora pierce
5. keys of the kingdom series by Garth nix
6. Series of unfortunate events by lemony snicket
7. Hunger Games ( yeah, I know).

(apologies to discworld)

I guess a key thing with these books are that no one else has mentioned them
This might sound rude but I'm guessing you're fairly young, Axcellence? In your 20s?
The reason I'm thinking that is because quite a few of those authors you've mentioned are locked away in the Young Adult section of book shops, as you've indicated above, and many older readers might never see them because there's such an enormous selection of SciFi/Fantasy just a few aisles over. I've only seen them because of my kids.

My son is a big Garth Nix fan and I've been meaning to borrow a couple of the series that he has. Where would you rate Nix's Seventh Tower series?

I've really enjoyed reading all of the Tamora Pierce books, which I used to borrow from my daughter but eventually continued buying my own and lending them to her- much to her delight. TM's Circle series are also excellent.

#6 and #7 are high on the "best books" list of my niece and daughters :) but I haven't read any of them, nor have I seen either of Bujold's or Stroud's books but will keep my eye out. Thanks for your recommendations!

Interesting, haven't came across her before, that's why thought she must have been predominately sci-fi, will add those books to my long long list of books to eventually get to...

You should make it the next. The series will make it to your top 6 easily. Curse of chalion is faultless when you finish it. King killer on the other hand made me want to strangle someone for all the endless denna pining.

This might sound rude but I'm guessing you're fairly young, Axcellence? In your 20s?
The reason I'm thinking that is because quite a few of those authors you've mentioned are locked away in the Young Adult section of book shops, as you've indicated above, and many older readers might never see them because there's such an enormous selection of SciFi/Fantasy just a few aisles over. I've only seen them because of my kids.

My son is a big Garth Nix fan and I've been meaning to borrow a couple of the series that he has. Where would you rate Nix's Seventh Tower series?

I've really enjoyed reading all of the Tamora Pierce books, which I used to borrow from my daughter but eventually continued buying my own and lending them to her- much to her delight. TM's Circle series are also excellent.

#6 and #7 are high on the "best books" list of my niece and daughters :) but I haven't read any of them, nor have I seen either of Bujold's or Stroud's books but will keep my eye out. Thanks for your recommendations!

I am 32 and have 2 toddlers :)

I know they are. But somehow, just adding knights and dragons makes everything adult fantasy (besides a young hero).

One of the reasons my selection is quite different is that I listened to the books on iphone audio via audible.com (having kids means, I can't sit at home and read books - I only listen while driving / travelling).

I haven't looked at Garth' s tower series. It appears more conventional. Sabriel / old Kingdom series introduces totally new style of magic in depth (necromancy).

Last edited:
Fan of GOT, First Law, KingKiller, Gentleman Bastards, and others.

The Black Company is good, but like any series that long it has it's up's and downs, but def worth a read if like the style.

Currently on second last book of Malazan, it's one of my favourite series so far. First book is probably the weakest, well the first half of the first book mainly, have to push through that.

Tried Tomas Convenant series, and thought was a load of s**t. Understand that it was trailblazing in that it was a protagonist with flaws, which is something hadn't been much of before this series, but it's terrible.

1. A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin – 182 - Read - love
  2. The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien - 130 - Read - love
  3. The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss -116 Read - love
  4. The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson - 85 Reading - love
  5. The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan - 79 - Gave up after about book 7 or 8
  6. The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson - 75
  7. The Gentleman Bastards by Scott Lynch - 66 - Read - Very good
  8. Discworld by Terry Pratchett - 55 -
  9. The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - 47
  10. Harry Potter by JK Rowling - 46 - Only read last year for first time, not as bad as thought it would be
  11. The First Law by Joe Abercrombie - 41 - Read - Very good
  12. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson - 39 Read - Entertaining read
  13. The Dark Tower by Stephen King - 30 Read first book and a half, just lost interest
  14. The Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence - 29
  15. The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb - 24
  16. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien - 23 - read
  17. The Black Company by Glen Cook - 20 read - good but a few flat patches
  18. His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman - 20
  19. Earthsea Cycle by Ursula K Leguin - 19
  20. American Gods by Neil Gaiman - 14 - Read Good
  21. The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis - 14 Read
  22. The Drenai Saga by David Gemmell - 14 - read
  23. Watership Down by Richard Adams - 13
  24. The Riyria Revelations by Michael J Sullivan - 12
  25. Prince of Nothing by R Scott Bakker - 11 Read part way, will try again
  26. The Belgariad by David Eddings - 11
  27. Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay - 11 - Read - Enjoyable
  28. Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolf - 10
  29. The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny - 10
  30. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke - 10 - Read part way, gave up as too slow for me
  31. Raven's Shadow by Anthony Ryan - 10
  32. The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist - 10 - Good
  33. The Demon Cycle by Peter V Brett - 9 - Read
Very nice list, will check out the ones that I don't know, notice that you don't have The Fionovar Tapestry by Guy Gavrial Kay, it's fantastic.

PS. Raven's Shadow, excellent!

Got a new series from the library, Promise Of Blood, The Powder Mage Trilogy by Brian Mcclennan.
Different and has grabbed me from the first page.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

George R R Martin
JRR Tolkien
Robin Hobb
Raymond E Feist

David Eddings a distant fifth for me

Can't say I liked Robert Jordan
Massive fan of him, the Magician series, the serpentwar saga, I could go on.
Also Sara Douglass's Axis trilogy and Wayfarer redemption
and Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy. All worthy reads of the same genre.

Never really got the hype for Feist... average to good at best for me.
Agreed, though it is hard to judge some authors that have been around for a while. Magician came out in 1982, it may have been groundbreaking, and fantastic compared to what was around at the time, but things have progressed since then and some of the modern authors have taken what he did and improved dramatically on it.

I should say i haven't read any of Feist's more recent work so don't know whether he's improved as well.

Agreed, though it is hard to judge some authors that have been around for a while. Magician came out in 1982, it may have been groundbreaking, and fantastic compared to what was around at the time, but things have progressed since then and some of the modern authors have taken what he did and improved dramatically on it.

Fair call

I should say i haven't read any of Feist's more recent work so don't know whether he's improved as well.

he started and ended strong
but I admit there was a lot of average stuff in the books from late 90s to 2010…..

still impressive to cover the length and breadth of what he managed and to tie it all back up together

You should make it the next. The series will make it to your top 6 easily. Curse of chalion is faultless when you finish it. King killer on the other hand made me want to strangle someone for all the endless denna pining.

I am 32 and have 2 toddlers :)

I know they are. But somehow, just adding knights and dragons makes everything adult fantasy (besides a young hero).

One of the reasons my selection is quite different is that I listened to the books on iphone audio via audible.com (having kids means, I can't sit at home and read books - I only listen while driving / travelling).

I haven't looked at Garth' s tower series. It appears more conventional. Sabriel / old Kingdom series introduces totally new style of magic in depth (necromancy).
Sorry- thought I'd replied to this post of yours :oops:.

I've just ordered Falling Free online :) Thanks for your list and your reply to my post. :) Audio books sound like a great idea.

Thanks very much Axcellence !
I ordered Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold and, after what I'd consider an overly long wait (3 weeks), it finally arrived on Friday - just as I was about to write a nasty letter to the bookseller.

I opened the book late last night and found myself still reading at 2.30am. Due to an early start this morning, I had to put it down but will now get stuck into it and finish it today. Am really enjoying it!
My only regret is that I didn't order the next two books in the Vorkosigan Saga at the same time.
:(

Thanks very much Axcellence !
I ordered Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold and, after what I'd consider an overly long wait (3 weeks), it finally arrived on Friday - just as I was about to write a nasty letter to the bookseller.

I opened the book late last night and found myself still reading at 2.30am. Due to an early start this morning, I had to put it down but will now get stuck into it and finish it today. Am really enjoying it!
My only regret is that I didn't order the next two books in the Vorkosigan Saga at the same time.
:(

Thanks for the vote of confidence Teriyakicat . The next 2 books are set 200 years after the book you are reading, but are the more powerful ones. I am willing to bet you'll love them even more!

Anyone read Crossroads series by Kate Elliot? Any good?

Thought about buying the first book at a book fair on the weekend but considered my backlog and put it back down :p

Read it a few years ago and I thought it was a good read. Wasn't A class as I felt her Crown of Stars series was, more a high B in my eyes (I'm pretty hard to please ). I'd definitely recommend for you to give it a go when you have the time

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back