Remove this Banner Ad

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Can I again spruik Warren Tredrea for #16?

Games: 248 and counting
Goals: 539 and counting
Premiership Captain: 2004
Club captain: 2004, 2006-2008
All Australian: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Best and Fairest: 2001, 2004, 2005, 2009
Runner Up B&F: 1999, 2002, 2003
Club Leading Goalkicker: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009
AFL Coaches Association MVP: 2004

Wallace would probably be next, but he doesn't match those honours, nowhere near. J.Brown will come very close by the end of his career if he can add a couple of AA guernseys and B&Fs, which he may well do.

Feb 21, 2008
GLENTHOMPSON
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA LAKERS
I disagree. 1 AA guernsey (according to fullpointsfooty) to McLeod's 5 (including one as captain). A 300 gamer who has won 2 Norm Smith medals. I think he pips Brereton, and anyone else in the 23 quite comfortably.

I don't know about quite comfortably as there is Bert Deacon from Carlton who wore the number 23 with great esteem.

He only played 106 games as a 6ft CHB for Carlton. Debuting as a 19yo in 1942, he played his last game at 28yo in 1951....the war years robbed him of many more games in his initial years.

In 1945 he played in the Blues premiership team defeating South Melbourne in the infamous 'bloodbath' Grand Final.

In 1947 he became Carlton's first Brownlow Medallist in what was a Premiership year as well as tieing as Club Champion too.

He was also vice captain that year.

Had the Norm Smith been in vogue back then, Deacon would have been well in the votes in both premiership successes.

Deacon would have picked up a few All Australian jumpers had they been around too, as he was widely accepted as the league's premier CHB for four or five seasons.

He finished fourth in the Brownlow in 1946 and had two other top 6 finishes.

He also played in the Blues 1949 GF loss.

He represented the Vics at National carnivals on three ocasions and received the KG Luke Trophy for the best overall player at the carnival in 1947.

Injury curtailed his career when he still had age on his side.

He is a Blues Hall of Fame member of which he is now a Legend.

He is CHB in Carlton's Team of the Century.

Read here if you want to see what sportsmanship was all about and all during the difficult times of WW2.

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Bert+Deacon

Now he may not be the best number 23, but certainly in his time, he racked up credentials that would put him on a very short list with the best.

Claude Balls

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Brown is a better footballer than Tredrea and has had a better career. Tredrea may have had a better season than any of Brown's season's but that's completely irrelevant in regards to this list, or should Wowoedin being included too?

I agree, and seeing as it's my list... Brown in, Tredrea stays out.

There is absolutely no doubt that in terms of overrall career, Tredrea >> Brown.

Until 2007 Brown was all reputation and no substance (substance relative to said reputation, I should point out).

I'm not suggesting Brown's best isnt as good as Tredrea's, but he'll need a few more seasons like 2007 to overtake what Tredrea achieved between 2000 and 2004.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Hate the bloke, but I think Akermanis probably tips Richo for 12.

Richo may not even be the best No 12 for Richmond.
Jack Titus - 294 games (inc 204 in a row), 970 goals, VFL leading Goalkicker 1940 (100 goals), century goalkicker, 2x B&F, 2 x Premierships (I know, that's not Richo's fault). Missed the 1943 flag through injury, and also played in 6 losing GFs.
Aker vs Skinny Titus is a good argument.

Dollars Inc

Senior List
Apr 5, 2010
Bendigo
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any chance of the supersatr from the west taking no.30 off Francis Bourke.
Despite hating all interstate teams, i would travel hours to watch Peter Matera take my beloved Hawks apart. Best player to have played for West Coast Eagles in my opinion.
(That is including Judd and Cousins)

Plus Michael Voss, Lethal, Teddy. Such different players but both Ted and Lethal have contributed so much since playing. Voss best player to grace our grounds since Lethal retired.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Peter Matera was an absolute champion, and one of my favorite players to watch. I remember once there was a pack scrabbling on the ground, the ump was about to blow it up, and Matera walked in, reached into the pack, grabbed the ball and ran off. Amazing.

Francis Bourke is a legend. He made everyone in the team better. Definitely not as skilled as Matera. But he was just one of those players who stood out because of courage, leadership, example etc. You know the way Glenn Archer played? Bourke was all that and more, plus he was a more skilled player than Archer. Thats why he was picked in the TOTC.

If you are just picking top players based on ball skills - Matera may be better. If you have to pick one for your team to play an actual match, Bourke.

WAG

The People's Captain
Mar 3, 2010
In the trenches.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hmmmmm maybe i don't know who else in number 23 though.

Andrew McLeod #23

330* games
268* goals
Runner up Brownlow in 2001
All Australian 1998, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2007 (Captain)
Premiership player 1997, 1998
Norm Smith Medal 1997, 1998
Club Champion 1997, 2001, 2007
Indigenous Team of the Century

EDIT: Was reading all the posts and didn't realise he had already been included. His accolades make nice reading though!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2Knights

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Ablett Snr's competition for number 5 would be from Ian Stewart, not Hird or Buckley.

And another no.5 nobody's mentioned yet - Polly Farmer. Ablett, Stewart or Farmer for #5.

And I'd put Daicos ahead of Harvey (but only just), they didn't call him the Macedonian Marvel for nothing.

mark73

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 12, 2005
Seaside
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A couple more:

#7 - Haydn Bunton
#11 - Bruce Doull
#20 - Geoff Southby or Wayne Schimmelbusch
#51 - Michael McLean

And a couple of suggested substitutions:

#2 - Greg Williams for John Nicholls (very debateable, but I just like Diesel better :D)
#15 - Malcolm Blight for Peter Riccardi
#24 - Gary Dempsey or Peter Knights for John Worsfold
#30 - Peter Moore for Peter Matera

And as much as I love Modra (my favourite player as a kid), Peter McKenna probably should the nod over him for the #6 guernsey.
In future just say, I ****ed up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back