Opinion Best ever Players in Jumper Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Um why?

I mean he wouldn't be the best but he is still a damn good player.

I said this in 2009 and it stands true to this day. Buddy is an exceptional player no question, however he is trailing best in the 23 by a considerable margin, and the media hype over him just makes it worse.

To think anyone would find him the best would mean they are a sucker to hype.

I said this in 2009 and it stands true to this day. Buddy is an exceptional player no question, however he is trailing best in the 23 by a considerable margin, and the media hype over him just makes it worse.

To think anyone would find him the best would mean they are a sucker to hype.
Hype?

He is constantly scrutinised.

Though I do agree he isn't the best 23 to run around. Not yet anyway.

Peter McKenna shits in the number 6. Christ, even Shannon Grant has claims to match Modra.

Doug Wade is miles ahead of McLeod for the number 23. Barry Davis also has similiar claims.

I'd have Robert Flower ahead of John Nicholls for the 2 jumper and Gary Dempsey definately shades Knights for the 24.

Wouldn't David Dench have claims to beat Doug Wade for the No. 23?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we get a count on how many times each played well in big games? That should sort it out. Take your rose colored glasses off Murraj1966!

Wouldn't even rate Milne ahead of David Wirrpunda!

And pretty sure Corey Enright's record of multiple B&F's in Premiership years stacks up well too against Milne's! Or has he not kicked enough goals either??

Simon Madden has to be #27. Second best ruckman of all time.

Bill Hutchinson should be considered for #7.

290 games, 496 goals, 4 flags, 2 brownlows, 7 B&Fs,

A couple more:

#7 - Haydn Bunton
#11 - Bruce Doull
#20 - Geoff Southby or Wayne Schimmelbusch
#51 - Michael McLean

And a couple of suggested substitutions:

#2 - Greg Williams for John Nicholls (very debateable, but I just like Diesel better :D)
#15 - Malcolm Blight for Peter Riccardi
#24 - Gary Dempsey or Peter Knights for John Worsfold
#30 - Peter Moore for Peter Matera

And as much as I love Modra (my favourite player as a kid), Peter McKenna probably should the nod over him for the #6 guernsey.

Blight won a Brownlow and a Coleman.

Isn't he in Hawthorns TOTC as a forward pocket?

Sam Newman is named in a back pocket in Geelong's team of the century, and I'm fairly confidant he wasn't a regular there.

Platten, Brownlow medallist, 4 time premiership player, 258 games, 2x best and fairest, 5 time all australian, SA rep 17 times and in both the AFL and SA fotobal halls of fame. In fairness to Milney, the Rat's record speaks fairly highly of him as a player

Dick Reynolds would make a strong claim for #3
Ted Whitten is well known for his media work and support of the big V but as far as their playing careers go Dick has the upper hand.

Sam Newman is named in a back pocket in Geelong's team of the century, and I'm fairly confidant he wasn't a regular there.

Platten, Brownlow medallist, 4 time premiership player, 258 games, 2x best and fairest, 5 time all australian, SA rep 17 times and in both the AFL and SA fotobal halls of fame. In fairness to Milney, the Rat's record speaks fairly highly of him as a player

Back in the day thats where ruckmen rested, seeing as sammy played in the same team as polly farmer for 5 odd years im sure he was familiar with the back pocket.

Dick Reynolds would make a strong claim for #3
Ted Whitten is well known for his media work and support of the big V but as far as their playing careers go Dick has the upper hand.
What bias rubbish - EJ was up with the greats and media work has nothing to do with it.

Triple Brownlow Medallist against champion CHB/CHF.

Close run thing.

Carey, Ablett Snr and Matthews never won a Brownlow and they are all rated above Reynolds.

Sheenan can be a tool but this is a good list. Whitten at 3 and Reynolds at 13.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/carey-the-greatest/story-e6frf9m6-1111115722650

Whitten at 4 Reynolds at 23.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/10/28/the-30-greatest-afl-players-of-all-time/

Whitten at 4 Reynolds at 13

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/ruccis-top-50-players/story-e6frg213-1111115739760

You are in the minority that has Reynolds ahead of Whitten. Your upper hand post is bias.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back