Toast Best footy photos ever

Remove this Banner Ad

The first time the premiership cup left Victoria
1992-premiership600.jpg

Not enough is written about that eerie day. All Victorians like my self were in shock for many months after. It truely was the final end of what we had known as the VFL

Such a great photo that. Opposition fans had it in for Lloydy and hated him. But even a half witted footy fan has to agree that Matty Lloyd,in his youthful prime , was a master of pack leaping speccies and grabbed some of the best marks in history..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scan0003.jpg

Just dripping with history this one. The "playoff match" (grand final) between Collingwood and South Melbourne on October 3 1896. The match was required as the clubs finished equal top of the ladder with 58 points each.

Collingwood are in their traditional uniform, South in red and white hoops.

It was played at the long demolished East Melbourne Cricket Ground, the home of Essendon FC.

It was also the last match for the VFA as the nation's premier football league. A few weeks later, 8 of the strongest clubs resigned from the VFA and formed the VFL.

image.jpg Great shot of Malcolm Blight...

Scan0003.jpg

Just dripping with history this one. The "playoff match" (grand final) between Collingwood and South Melbourne on October 3 1896. The match was required as the clubs finished equal top of the ladder with 58 points each.

It was played at the long demolished East Melbourne Cricket Ground, the home of Essendon FC.

It was also the last match for the VFA as the nation's premier football league. A few weeks later, 8 of the strongest clubs resigned from the VFA and formed the VFL.
Fantastic. What street would be behind? How many of those houses still stand?

Scan0003.jpg

The Collingwood player in the middle of the picture running is a dead ringer for dipper

Fantastic. What street would be behind? How many of those houses still stand?

It was on the south west corner of what is now the intersection of Jolimont Rd and Wellington Parade South. If you Google Map > Satellite you'll see one of the apartment buildings is a semi circle shape almost like a grandstand, which I believe is an architectural nod to the history of the spot.

My best guess is the photo is looking east, making the street Jolimont Road (was Jolimont Parade). There's still some period looking houses along there, whether they're the same ones I'm not sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back