Best Game you have seen in your lifetime

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Collingwood v Hawks Prelim
Was a terrible game skills-wise made famous by a close, tense last quarter with a couple of excellent goals.

Watching it at the time I couldn't believe how bad both (otherwise very good teams) played.

Absolute error-fest.

Call me biased, but the following are my favourites:

2009 GF - a tense GF featuring the two stand-out teams of 2009, and the way Geelong won it made it extra special
1989 GF - the first GF I attended. It had it all (except a win for Geelong).

Then,

2007 PF Cats v Pies. Should be a favourite but it wasn't because it was such a tense, nail biting affair. I can watch it now and appreciate the game for what it was, but on the night, no

Well i went to the 2008 prelim against St kilda and have been to a number of haw v geel during the kennet's curse. But I don't have a favourite. We rarely go because we don't have the money. I enjoy every game i go to because of the atmosphere.

However here is a strange fact. There have been 2 times i watched a carlton hawthorn game. The first was the one where buddy kicked 100 goals and the other was the 130 odd point smashing :D

St Kilda vs Geelong in 2009 was the best home and away game that I have ever seen. The build up was incredible and the game was just amazing.

Still annoyed that it wasn't at the G, but looking back at it, I wouldn't want anything to change that game.

North V Bombers 2001 - 69 point comeback. We lost. Still the best game iv'e seen.

As i have said before, the under rated thing about the comeback was that it was done by halftime. It was then a goal fest arm wrestle after that.

I still remember them showing the qtr time score on the screen during another game (riiiiiight on the tip of my tongue) and my eyes almost popping out of my head

We lost the game but Melbourne vs Adelaide 2002 Semi Final was unlike anything I've seen before.

Melbourne were 40 points down at QTR time, then turned it around to be 28 points up midway through the third quarter(!!!). But the Crows came back again and won by 2 goals.

The atmosphere and the speed the game was played at were both absolutely electric.

Adelaide had just 266 disposals for the match to Melbourne's 220... yet 37 goals were scored. The final score was Adelaide 20.10.130 to Melbourne 17.16.118.

this is my vote. Watched it with a melbourne supporting mate, was a crazy experience. The highs and lows

2014 Elimination Final was one of the most satisfying I've ever experienced. To obliterate them within minutes like that was breath taking.

Round 19, 2013. The coming of age of Chad Wingard and that Monfries bounce. Perfect way to end all Showdown's at AAMI Stadium.

Round 8, 2012 comeback against North Melbourne. After years in the doldrums, in front of just 14k at AAMI Stadium and looking like we going down a familiar path, being 32 points down in the last quarter, we pulled off a miraculous comeback to win by 2 points. Emotional win and the few die-hards that had ventured out to see us play at AAMI Stadium got a very sweet reward that day.

Round 18, 2010 vs Hawthorn: In a tough year which saw our coach sacked, we met Hawthorn for the second time that year in Round 18. Our first encounter, won by them, was decided by just 11 points. At 3QT in Round 18, I had absolutely no doubt we were going to win, because the score at the last change was the same as the final score from our previous encounter, 74-63. It was almost as if that first Hawks-Port game that year had been continued with a 5th quarter. Sure enough, we won and it was a very passionate performance and victory by us.

Other mentions:
2014 SF vs Freo
2014 vs Geelong @ Adelaide Oval
First Showdown at Adelaide Oval, 2014
2004 PF & GF

Any team: The Haws vs Geeling prelim a few years ago. When Varcoe should of sent it to ET.

My team: vs Adelaide in 2006. I just remember West having like 45 touches and Cooney 35 and 5 goals to win by a goal or so. That was the best game Cooney played I reckon. I think it was Goodwin who dominated for Adelaide also. Dunno why that sticks out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to the Geelong v Hawthorn match in 2009 where Bartel kicked a point after the siren to win the game. Buddy was on fire and Ablett was running a muck, an absolute brilliant game to watch especially since I wasn't emotionally attached to either team

A late round SANFL game in 1989, between Port and North. It was touted as the Grand Final preview. North won a classic by 4 pts, IIRC. The thing that I really remember was the crowd - approx. 30,000 at Footy Park.

Those were the days!

Oh, and the GF turned out to be a fizzer - the famous North "one goal in mind" game.

Three games that immediately came to mind are:

North Melbourne def Essendon - Rd 15 1993. Fast and free flowing from the first bounce. In the first quarter it looked like Longmire and Carey would take control and North would romp home, but the Bombers led by Salmon came back strongly and went into the final quarter with a 10 point lead. The fourth quarter totally belonged to North Melbourne, who played the best quarter of football I've ever seen. Carey, Longmire, McAdam and Roberts were amazing and were toying with the Baby Bombers by the end.

Geelong def North Melbourne - PF 1994. The most gut-wrenching game of footy I've ever been too. Should have won by a few goals, instead lost after the siren.

Essendon def North Melbourne - Rd 16 2001. Brilliant first quarter by North, extending their lead early in the second, before the Bomber came back eventually winning in a 52 goal thriller.

2013 prelim was awesome spectacle all round!
Gee v. Saints 2009 round 14.
Haw v. Gee round 18 2012!
99 prelim. Ess v. Carl.

Whenever a list is made on the best games in history, 3 games stand out.

1989 Grand Final, Hawthorn v Geelong.

1986 State of Origin, Western Australia v Victoria.

2001 AFL Round 16, Essendon v North Melbourne.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still love watching the 2014 prelim against port. Was about to projectile vomit on the person infront i was so nervous
But also love:
2005 GF
2014 GF
2008 GF
Freo vs Geelong Rd 1 2012

94 prelim against Geelong. I believe Rohan Connolly also rates it the best game he's ever seen.
Yeah this one was epic.

I went as a neutral supporter with my Geelong supporting brother and got totally lost in the drama. It was tough, fast and (relative to now) high scoring. Carey played as good a game as you would see anyone play, ever and it was just two sides jam packed with champions going at it. It was everything that made footy in the 90's so great.

We were standing with some rough as guts North blokes and the contrasting emotions when Ablett marked and then goaled after the siren were stark. There was plenty of drunken commiserating amongst both groups of supporters without any bitterness as I think we realised even then we'd just witnessed an absolute classic and were privileged to do so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back