Toast Best game you've been at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack's 10 was the first win I'd be live at in 7 years, superb afternoon out.

2012 Hawks game we lead by about 70 points in the last qtr, decimated them that day. A week later I think we beat Sydney at the G by 5 goals as well and the crowd was as raucous as ever when Grigg kicked his 3rd and the sealer.

I'm only in my early 20s, so fair to say I haven't experienced a great deal of Richmond highs.

The 2013 win over Hawthorn in the wet was pretty remarkable and very memorable, had a great day.

But my favourite Richmond season to date (maybe leaving 2013 and the 9 match streak last year aside) was 2008, we were a very good side at times and I absolutely lapped up Richo's virtual lap of honour that was that season. Enjoyed the hell out of that year.

So for this reason I have to pick the 2008 win against Brisbane where we were down by I think 31 points early in the last, only for Bowden to kick 3-4 of our 8 goals in the last quarter for us to come roaring home and win.

There was a lot of good stuff going on in my life besides, so I went into the game in great spirits, and I actually went to corporate function with a Brisbane coterie group of all people...but it meant free booze all night and I took the opportunity to get properly sloshed for the first time in my life.

Richo's heroics, the roar of the up and about Richmond fans, Bowden, the comeback, scotch and dry all night, what an evening at the footy!

I was at the 01' semi-final vs the scum as a young fella, that was tremendous. The first dreamtime at the G vs Essendon, it was Polo's famous debut and Oakley-Nicholls kicked a point right at the end to put us in front, that was an incredible atmosphere. They are the two that stick out that I have attended.

Round 23 of last year was sensational. I had a 21st in Horsham that night, my mates didn't want to leave until later so I decided to drive up by myself so I could watch the entire game on T.V. Went to a pub there by myself and watched it with a few randoms, I was hugging blokes I'd never met when Dustin kicked that goal at the end. Incredible stuff.

2010 v WCE (JR kicked 10 and the place was jumping.... all 25 of us)

I was one of the 25. I've found it very, very hard to believe Eric MacKenzie is AFL standard since that game. I giggle when he gets thrown up as an All Australian.

In the same vein, I remember seeing Dangerfield kicking 4 or 5 shots at goal out of bounds on the full at a similar time, completely blowing the Crows chances of beating us, and still can't quite take him seriously.

Says much more about me forming new memories than it does about either of those players.

1995 Semi Final against Essendon. The G for the first time in a very long time was rocking.

The comeback. The win that was celebrated throughout Richmond for days was immense.

Another journey that never made it anywhere, but that side was the most fun I've witnessed.

1995 was a great year.
Really enjoyed Sunday's game.
To come back from a poor first quarter,then to repeatly repel the Pies leads and get a win ranks right up there.
10 lead changes in Sunday's game.
I talked to a Pie fan at the station before the game and she told me she went to Pies training and that Cloke was training the house down for this game.
Port will be doing the same now that the granny has arrived.

Round 17 2001 Western Bulldogs VS Richmond at Colonial Stadium as it was known as then.

I was only 13 with the family just moving back to melbourne so I'd only really just started getting into the tigers in 2000/2001 and going to games. This was the same year that the scratcher (libba) dug into knights face earlier in the year so there was a bit of bad blood between us and the doggies. I absolutely hated the dogs for what libba did to knights and how badly I wanted us to beat them this game!

We were a good team this year and I remember a decent build up to this game and a lot of excitement around us because winning this would firm us for the 8 and keep in touch with the top 4.
There was a big crowd in for this to, the ground was buzzing.

This game lived up to all the hype, it was a hard, tough, free flowing and high scoring affair. Brad Ottens was dominant up forward and Leon Cameron played an absolute blinder this game against his old club. I can remember him being so calm and cool under immense pressure in defence in the last couple of minutes. We were holding onto a 2 point lead with everything we had. The atmosphere was absolutely electric and the noise/roar/song when the siren went I'll never forget. Very proud to be a young tiger that day. We'd gotten our revenge for earlier in the year and we looked finals bound. One of the most exciting games with one of the best atmospheres I've been at.

The weekends game deserved a mention aswell, one of the most enjoyable to be at with that second quater coming out of nowhere.

1995 Semi Final against Essendon. The G for the first time in a very long time was rocking.

The comeback. The win that was celebrated throughout Richmond for days was immense.

Another journey that never made it anywhere, but that side was the most fun I've witnessed.
I watched that game on tape so many times... well Knightas 2 goals and the second half anyway!
ANd loved it when Scotty Turner put O'Donnell to sleep on the outer wing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not quite a win but it wasn't a loss so I am putting it in here. There was a game early in 1995 where we drew with Essendon. So many lead changes, mostly close all night and just bruising tough football. Awesome to be part of watching, the atmosphere was electric, if not a little flat at the end when we couldn't pinch a win.

Not quite a win but it wasn't a loss so I am putting it in here. There was a game early in 1995 where we drew with Essendon. So many lead changes, mostly close all night and just bruising tough football. Awesome to be part of watching, the atmosphere was electric, if not a little flat at the end when we couldn't pinch a win.
Yep Stewie maxfields goal that night in the last quarter is still the loudest roar I've heard at the G

Have to say one of the most enjoyable games ive ever seen was when we beat port in the rain over in sa think it was dimmas first season.. too young to remember seeing gale kinighter free etc.

First win under Dimma. Was there due to work. Rain is being kind, it was bucketing down!

2009 vs Freo @ Subi where we won by a few points after Mitch Morton played on and kicked the winning goal with seconds left (as opposed to kicking it out on the full like he did against port earlier in the year!)

2012 vs Sydney @ the 'G. Went with no expectation and we blew them away in the first quarter. 5.6 to 0.2.

Ditto for me.

Seeing Knights etc and I think it was Ryan run down of that essendon player was magic. God I loved our list with Richo, Knights, broders, Naish, Daffy etc. I still have not got over Northy leaving. IMO if he had of stayed we might have pinched a flag as they played for him.

All those mentioned plus Monday night, April 24 1995. That 9 goal first term against Carey's North Melbourne was surreal. Amazing.
Also 1982, Easter Monday at the G with over 90,000 people watching Rioli destroy Sheedy's bombers.
Yeh that was awesome. At least it sounded awesome, because I was stuck outside in a queue until quarter time. Just hear 9 really load roars, and knew it was us not them.

All those mentioned plus Monday night, April 24 1995. That 9 goal first term against Carey's North Melbourne was surreal. Amazing.
Also 1982, Easter Monday at the G with over 90,000 people watching Rioli destroy Sheedy's bombers.
As a nerdy teenage scrapbook keeper, I still have the cuttings from that day in 82

Not necessarily the best but a most unusual one: Mid 90's

I was living close to the western oval when Fitzroy had their home games there...and cos the crowds were that small they'd open the ground up to the public at 1/2 time so I used to go down there a bit..Rocked up to the game Fitzroy vs Sydney and stood down the Geelong Rd end.

Tony Lockett was playing, having a blinder & on his way to beating the record but was kicking to the other end of the ground.
When the 3/4 time siren sounded there was a mass of spectators just started walking from behind the goals at the far end of the ground, where Locket had been, down to behind the goals at the Geelong Rd end so they could watch Tony break the record.

And a couple of others from that ground, which used to be a sticky glue pot....I remember being impressed with Acker's ability to seemingly float above the glue and kick a couple of nice running goals. And another time WCeagles played there in miserable wet, horizontal windy weather. And their marking skills being insanely good. The whole team just never seemed to drop a mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back