Not open for further replies.

Hawkers

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2005
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I've often thought what is the highest individual honour a football player can achieve. And there are many honours any player can strive to.
We have

Coleman
Brownlow
ALFCA player of the year
AFLPA player of the year
<Insert media organisation> player of the year
Club Best and Fairest
Plenty of others....

I reckon the Brownlow used to be the pinnacle for an individual but that has been taken over as a midfielders award in the last 10 or so years.
The Coaches Association award is a quality honour as they are opposition trying to limit you, who they think they need to stop
What are your thoughts?

I think a Club Best and Fairest cannot be bested. It's your own coaches voting on how you played your role that they asked of you for your team.
In my mind a Club Best and Fairest in a Premiership year is the pinnacle

Hawkers

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2005
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
So really OP it's about the last sentence, so the pinnacle Hawthorn player is......?

Needs a goo tag...

I'm not hiding from that and the fact that it's the Hawks BnF tonight.
Point still stands though. A BnF in a premiership year is the highest individual award a player can achieve

cyril4brownlow

Team Captain
Mar 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clearly winning a best and fairest in a premiership year is the best individual award. Speaks volumes for 2 time winner Josh Gibson.

ThatsjustDappa

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not hiding from that and the fact that it's the Hawks BnF tonight.
Point still stands though. A BnF in a premiership year is the highest individual award a player can achieve

Why not instead just run with a thread title; "Hawks BNF tonight - post your adulation to the greatest player in 2015 here"....

....i mean you did have the whole year(s) to come up with the 'best individual award' thread....

Hawkers

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2005
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Why not instead just run with a thread title; "Hawks BNF tonight - post your adulation to the greatest player in 2015 here"....

....i mean you did have the whole year(s) to come up with the 'best individual award' thread....

Why not just answer the question that the thread poses?

they are all s**t in one way or the other:
  1. Brownlow - Voted on by umpires...
  2. Club best and fairest - Political factors affects the voting process (i.e. contract negotiations, players abruptly leaving etc may find their votes tampered with)
  3. Premiership season club best and fairest (see 2)
  4. Coaches MVP - Coaches are biased and only get to vote on a limited amount of players in their own matches.
  5. Players MVP - Players dont watch other AFL games, they are influenced external factors such as the media.
To create the most legitimate award, an independent panel of unbiased people with very high level football analytical skills that watch every game is required.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I voted premiership club best and fairest. It says that over the full season not only have you played most games but you've done the role you're team assigned you the best of all players in your club at the best club that season. That's pretty high praise and is almost like a team orientated - individual award (if that's not an oxymoron).

That said Brownlow is the one that will be remembered in 20 years the most.

HugeJohnson

Just hanging out
Apr 25, 2009
Some point in space and time
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don't think it matters if it's a premiership season or not, winning a club best and fairest is the highest honour a player can receive. Just because his club didn't win the premiership, doesn't mean he hasn't made any less of an effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkers

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2005
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I voted premiership club best and fairest. It says that over the full season not only have you played most games but you've done the role you're team assigned you the best of all players in your club at the best club that season. That's pretty high praise and is almost like a team orientated - individual award (if that's not an oxymoron).

That said Brownlow is the one that will be remembered in 20 years the most.

I don't think it matters if it's a premiership season or not, winning a club best and fairest is the highest honour a player can receive. Just because his club didn't win the premiership, doesn't mean he hasn't made any less of an effort.

Interesting isn't it.
A club BnF recognises and is voted on by the people that understand the player and role.
A Brownlow is voted on by umpires which see the players under their nose the most.

That's why I think a club BnF is more valuable than a Brownlow, at the least it's comparable. But a premiership BnF means that you've been the best player in the best team for a seaon

Jables

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Giants, Hornets, Bulls
Brownlow is the most prestigious, but for me as a footballer I would rather have a few other awards. It feels like when you hear a player introduced as a Norm Smith medallist for example, there is a different level of respect than even a Brownlow medallist. And winning a Brownlow without getting the B&F as has happened many times would sting me a bit and make me question what I'm doing.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
There has never been any doubt in my mind that if I were an AFL player, the one award I would cherish over any other is to be honoured by my club as the Best & Fairest in a premiership year. No higher honour can be bestowed upon a player.

The Brownlow is a prestigious evening, plenty of glitter and tinsel, red carpets etc, but let's face it, it's an umpires' award. No more, no less. I'm happy to have an umpires' award because they umpires are a very large part of the game, but I have never believed it should carry the kudos it does.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
they are all s**t in one way or the other:
  1. Brownlow - Voted on by umpires...
  2. Club best and fairest - Political factors affects the voting process (i.e. contract negotiations, players abruptly leaving etc may find their votes tampered with)
  3. Premiership season club best and fairest (see 2)
  4. Coaches MVP - Coaches are biased and only get to vote on a limited amount of players in their own matches.
  5. Players MVP - Players dont watch other AFL games, they are influenced external factors such as the media.
To create the most legitimate award, an independent panel of unbiased people with very high level football analytical skills that watch every game is required.

What a negative Nelly you are.

Hows about the fact that each award is unique & voted on from a different perspective!

They each give an insight into how the umps see it, how the coaches see it, how the players see it & how the match committees see it, all which serve to highlight distinctions & similarities in perspectives.

Jables

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Giants, Hornets, Bulls
Gibson is a better player than Hodge is what I'm learning.
This was a good year supposedly by Hodge, gets the most consistent award yet gets beaten by Gibson.
I'm thinking Hodge is a severely overrated player in the public eye.
Gibson underrated.

There's also the two Norm Smiths you're completely ignoring to make your point, he already has two B&F's.

Hawkers

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2005
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Gibson is a better player than Hodge is what I'm learning.
This was a good year supposedly by Hodge, gets the most consistent award yet gets beaten by Gibson.
I'm thinking Hodge is a severely overrated player in the public eye.
Gibson underrated.

In this particular year, yes, according to the match committee. You are correct

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
There's also the two Norm Smiths you're completely ignoring to make your point, he already has two B&F's.

I like your 2 b&f examples better.
Norm Smith medals can be very much an overrated award especially when you have lots of equally good players on the day.
Hodge never stood out in either, could've gone to anyone, he got them because of his name, alot like Cyril this year.
Being the best player in a close prelim is better than the floggings you guys dished out a few times in GFs.
The performances of Gunston in finals are simply not acknowledged.
Another example
Brad Ottens 2007 PF means more than Johnson's 07 GF. But who has a 'norm smith'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back