Best kicking skills on both sides of the body

Who is the best kick on each side of their body

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Ablett Snr was the best. 60 - 65 metre goals on the run on his left with ease. Daicos was also brilliant on either side.

Bout time someone mentioned Daicos. Could execute every style of kick on either side of his body. Torps, bananas, the lot. All with unerring accuracy. He's the yardstick for mine, followed closely by Jarman and Ablett Snr (tied).

He might have been able to do it, or occassionally did it, but I have no recollection of seeing GAS regularly kicking 60+ goals on his left............or even regularly using it. I have no doubt he was capable but his name is not one that instantly springs to mind.

He might have been able to do it, or occassionally did it, but I have no recollection of seeing GAS regularly kicking 60+ goals on his left............or even regularly using it. I have no doubt he was capable but his name is not one that instantly springs to mind.

Obviously you started following AFL in the last few years.

Obviously you started following AFL in the last few years.

Ah yes the default answer to having something shot down or being disagreed with.

I started following footy before Ablett even started with Hawthorn. Thanks for asking. As I said, he may have had a decent left foot, and if pressed I'd say it was used more for snaps than long bombs, however he is in no way known for it like Akermanis, Jarman or Mitchell in terms of consistent high quality use of it.

Ah yes the default answer to having something shot down or being disagreed with.

I started following footy before Ablett even started with Hawthorn. Thanks for asking. As I said, he may have had a decent left foot, and if pressed I'd say it was used more for snaps than long bombs, however he is in no way known for it like Akermanis, Jarman or Mitchell in terms of consistent high quality use of it.

So you're saying Sam Mitchell has a better left foot that Snr?

Snr booted many long goals on his left but because Geelong was an average team they were rarely shown on TV in the 80's, especially 84 - 88 when he played on a wing/half forward. It was Ess, Haw, Car games that got mainly shown on ch 7 and ch 2 and Collingwood for just being Coll'wood.

I said Mitchell is far more well known for his consistent high quality use of his left foot. That is absolute 100% rock solid. He uses it more than his right. No way he kicks it as long as Ablett or others but the precision he uses it with is immaculate.

Read it all again. I never said Ablett wasn't a good user on his left. However he wasn't known for consistently using it. I'm sure he kicked some great left foot goals but that doesn't put him up there with the guys who consistently use their opposite side with equal aplomb as their preferred side.

If you watch any highlight reel Daicos kicked as many miracle goals on his left as his right. I think his reputation for the bannana goal takes away from the fact he probably had the goat non-preferred.

'08 grand final-Mitchell swings on his left from 50 and goals.'15 grannie has it for split second,turns on his left and hits Cyril on the chest
with a 50 metre pass.Mitchell's vision and kicking skill make him no.1. Can't remember Ablett's field kicking being anything special in his
earlier days before he became a permanent forward/goal kicker,he was though a great shot for goal,great kicking action,'08 grannie a
standout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'08 grand final-Mitchell swings on his left from 50 and goals.'15 grannie has it for split second,turns on his left and hits Cyril on the chest
with a 50 metre pass.Mitchell's vision and kicking skill make him no.1. Can't remember Ablett's field kicking being anything special in his
earlier days before he became a permanent forward/goal kicker,he was though a great shot for goal,great kicking action,'08 grannie a
standout.

'89 grannie a standout

Bobby,
Your showing a couple of highlights in desperation and nothing special anyway.Ablett was never known as a great field kicker because
(A) He wasn't-he was adequate like many others
and (B) He would rather conjure up an unlikely shot at goal rather than hit up a team mate like Dunstall would and if he had any ticker he would
have stayed at Hawthorn and been a 5 time premiership player at least.

I am not sure what the relevance of the rest of your post is all about either.
Are you implying that had he remained at Hawthorn, he would be more skilled on both sides of the body?

I'm implying that had he stayed the Hawks would have won at least another premiership and thats what I'm still dirty about.
Ablett would have 6 sweet kicking flags to fill that black hole that is his heart.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Even if video footage was posted, you would probably still refute it.

Why would I do that? I have no GAS or Geelong vendetta.

I saw his entire career and have given my opinion on this matter in this thread....and I've hardly been critical of him in here.

Are the majority of BigFooty posters still in high school or do they just have bad memories? Cameron was an absolute gun and his kicking easily better than Mitchell's.

Mitchell is definitely the best of the current crop but he's pretty arrogant with it. I can recall him taking a few set shots with his left (and missing them).

Read it all again. I never said Ablett wasn't a good user on his left. However he wasn't known for consistently using it. I'm sure he kicked some great left foot goals but that doesn't put him up there with the guys who consistently use their opposite side with equal aplomb as their preferred side.

All three categories together, Darren Jarman.
Over rated kick
Similar to suckling in that he could produce the more than odd pearler that made us all salivate,
But,
Due to the cross footed action, actually scrubbed a fair few kicks
Ready to get howled down here :cool:
As for the poll: Aker,
But the other 2 were/are brilliant

Over rated kick
Similar to suckling in that he could produce the more than odd pearler that made us all salivate,
But,
Due to the cross footed action, actually scrubbed a fair few kicks
Ready to get howled down here :cool:
As for the poll: Aker,
But the other 2 were/are brilliant
Yeah, absolutely howled down.

Not over rated at all. Was sublime.

The fact you even compare with Suckling is laughable. If he produced a scrubber, it was the odd occurrence, not the pearler.

Dunstall reckons he's the best he ever played with and he's the best I've ever seen.

Back