best list in the modern era

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon 2000. Don't think we will get another team as close to 'unbeatable' as they were.

In finals though, Lions of 01-03 are second to none. Not the best regular season team but they had the ability to go HAM at the drop of a hat. We were within a point in the last quarter of the 03 PF. Then well, the rest is history.

The 2000 bombers side was a good line up.

The 95 Carlton side was great as well
These 2 stood out for me.

I'd be happy with any of Brisbane/Hawks/Port (throw in Francou and Primus) and to a slightly lesser extent North's Premiership teams. Filled to the brim with hard footballers.

These 2 stood out for me.

I'd be happy with any of Brisbane/Hawks/Port (throw in Francou and Primus) and to a slightly lesser extent North's Premiership teams. Filled to the brim with hard footballers.
What about the team that beat yours by 119 in the 07 GF? Still the AFL record margin. And, I don't rate the 07 Cats list as the best in my opinion just because they won the GF by such margin; it was just a super balanced outfit across all lines. 9 AA's says it all

2001 granny was replayed on fox.

Theres a good 7-9 players in the lions team better than any of the others being discussed (as a group of 7-9)

Still think the whole hawk team us as good though, maybe even the cats

What about the team that beat yours by 119 in the 07 GF? Still the AFL record margin. And, I don't rate the 07 Cats list as the best in my opinion just because they won the GF by such margin; it was just a super balanced outfit across all lines. 9 AA's says it all
Fishing for compliments?

You already answered your own question, so nfi why you are asking me to include Geelong.

Given the competition that year, that's the main reason I haven't included Geelong. I also think that team is a far more evenly balanced team than some of the ones who I listed. I preferred teams with a genuinely dominant CHF/FF too. Mooney/Hawkins aren't Carey/Lloyd etc etc.

Swap out your fwd line for any of the others and I'd gladly put Geelong up there.

Fishing for compliments?

You already answered your own question, so nfi why you are asking me to include Geelong.

Given the competition that year, that's the main reason I haven't included Geelong. I also think that team is a far more evenly balanced team than some of the ones who I listed. I preferred teams with a genuinely dominant CHF/FF too. Mooney/Hawkins aren't Carey/Lloyd etc etc.

Swap out your fwd line for any of the others and I'd gladly put Geelong up there.
No, not fishing for compliments. Just bemused that you rate Essendon 2000, Carlton 1995, Brisbane/Hawks/Port (throw in Francou and Primus) and to a slightly lesser extent North's Premiership teams, as better.....

Yes, Mooney/Hawkins are not Carey/Lloyd, and I know this is your opinion....Just seeking clarity behind the reasoning which you have now sort of given.

Makeshift forward line yet the biggest winning margin in a grand final ever. Go figure...

Not sure what the GF day has anything to do with it? It's pretty widely regarded the drop off in 2007 was pretty rapid...

That forward line doesn't rank to the other teams, simple.

No, not fishing for compliments. Just bemused that you rate Essendon 2000, Carlton 1995, Brisbane/Hawks/Port (throw in Francou and Primus) and to a slightly lesser extent North's Premiership teams, as better.....

Yes, Mooney/Hawkins are not Carey/Lloyd, and I know this is your opinion....Just seeking clarity behind the reasoning which you have now sort of given.

That's my biggest reasoning, I'd take a dominant fwd over anything. I never said Geelong weren't good. Carey/Lloyd/Tredrea are all a fair way ahead of Mooney for me. Not to say he's not a good player, but he plays second fiddle in all the teams I listed. Hawkins wouldn't get a game in some of them teams too IMO.

Not sure what the GF day has anything to do with it? It's pretty widely regarded the drop off in 2007 was pretty rapid...

That's my biggest reasoning, I'd take a dominant fwd over anything. I never said Geelong weren't good. Carey/Lloyd/Tredrea are all a fair way ahead of Mooney for me. Not to say he's not a good player, but he plays second fiddle in all the teams I listed. Hawkins wouldn't get a game in some of them teams too IMO.

Did you just make a comparison between Tredrea with Carey? Probably one of the best playesr of all time?

Did you just make a comparison between Tredrea with Carey? Probably one of the best playesr of all time?
Oh wow, a Crows fan being a typical Crows fan. I don't know why I'm wasting my time with this rubbish. That's the stupidest post I've read this year.

Tredrea was regarded as the best CHF since Carey, if you choose to ignore that diddums.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh wow, a Crows fan being a typical Crows fan. I don't know why I'm wasting my time with this rubbish. That's the stupidest post I've read this year.

Tredrea was regarded as the best CHF since Carey, if you choose to ignore that diddums.

hahahaha yeah, think you might take Pav, Brown or Buddy well in front of tredders

One man, no matter how great, does not make a list the best.

Not going to argue with you about Mooney. Him aside the talent in the rest of the Cats 07 & 08 teams was >> than North or anything Port ever fielded, IMHO

Hawkins didn't play in 07 mate.. Hawkins would get a game in all those teams 2011 finals onwards

Hawkins didn't play in 07 mate.. Hawkins would get a game in all those teams 2011 finals onwards
I'll take that, I'm not saying the Geelong team isn't great, I'm just saying I'd take a team with the dominant CHF, given how rare said players are. Hawkins wouldn't get a game in the teams I listed IMO, not as the first choice anyway.

Full credit to the rest of the team that they covered a 'weak', and I mean that very loosely, forward line. Geelong's best was their defence and midfield. Kinda like Eagles in all their good years... No one would seriously rate Lynch for instance just because his team won the flag.

One man, no matter how great, does not make a list the best.

Not going to argue with you about Mooney. Him aside the talent in the rest of the Cats 07 & 08 teams was >> than North or anything Port ever fielded, IMHO

Ports weakest players in 2004...

Mahoney - a good luck story but did his part
Schofield
Kingsley - think he won a B&F
Thurstans - did kick 3 on GF day...

Take 2 of them out for Primus (best ruck by so far it wasn't funny) and Francou (best clearance mid and 2nd and 3rd in previous brownlows) and it's a pretty solid side.

just clone Modra 21 times, the original still at FF
Don't care that the Crows still won in 98, but him being dropped is bullshit. Maybe they wouldn't have won with him given the somewhat predictable pressure and attention being put on teams dominant Forwards in GFs... it's always some random bobbing up.

He was a huge part of getting them in 97.

Hawks have the greatest modern forward line, crunch whatever numbers you want, add or take buddy, the result is the same. Roughead, Buddy, Rioli, Gunston, Breust etc.

Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Ling, Corey, ottens, greatest midfield. Beats Brisbane I'd take Ablett over Voss, Bartel over Black. Can mount a case for all 3 defences.

Hawks have the greatest modern forward line, crunch whatever numbers you want, add or take buddy, the result is the same. Roughead, Buddy, Rioli, Gunston, Breust etc.

Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Ling, Corey, ottens, greatest midfield. Beats Brisbane I'd take Ablett over Voss, Bartel over Black. Can mount a case for all 3 defences.
And that's why the 3 teams have shared 66% of the premierships since 2001

Black continues to be underrated. No way would I take Bartel over home and none of Ling, Selwood or Cory over Akermanis. Brisbane easily the best midfield of recent times, along with West Coast circa 2005/06.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back