Best Lockdown Small defender = Ben Stratton

Remove this Banner Ad

But you forget the according to autopsy and preview threads Stratts in about to be dropped :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the people last year that were talking about about how Birchall was having a poor year..... and then he came second in the PCM. I called them out by bumping the threads and quoting them but none admitted to being a poor judge of a players output. I guess the entire hawthorn coaching staff got it wrong.

Shows how much some keyboard warriors on here know.

All I know is that I don't notice Stratts much in games, but I don't notice his opponents either. That's how I like my defenders

In possession of the ball his having a bit of a lean patch, I'm sure that will come good with time though.
His defensive game has been incredible and its hardly been acknowledged, good to finally see it.

In possession of the ball his having a bit of a lean patch, I'm sure that will come good with time though.
His defensive game has been incredible and its hardly been acknowledged, good to finally see it.

I guess the point is that we do not need Stratts for rebound and why would we with, Birch, Hodgey, Burgoyne, Mitch, Hilly, Smith etc all getting back to the flanks and bouncing the ball back in our direction. Stratts number 1 job is to play on the mid size to small from the opposition that provides the most danger and limit their influence.

I've been confused by the calls for him to be dropped also. Has never been a great user by foot but his defensive work is first rate and that's what you want from a defender.

He's a versatile defender who has done the job on a range of opponents over his career.

We are lucky to have so many players who have been so good for a number of years that some people take them for granted.

Two years ago he was top 4 in the b&f. Last year wasn't top 10. This year he is down on form. He loses one on ones all the time where he used to never lose them. Has career worst numbers in possessions and seems to make 'uncharacteristic' errors every week now. And at least half of his so called job on Betts was taken by Duryea who guarded betts while inside 50. Stratton only took him when he was up the ground. He didn't even have Elliott the whole game and when he was on Swan he was exposed and got shifted and Hodge put on Swan. Startton used to be brilliant on resting mids like Swan and Dangerfield. Now I worry about him. Can't see how two players not getting many touches makes him worthy of such high praise as best in the league. When was the last time Betts had much of the ball against us? And Elliot has a poor record against us too. He had one good quarter against us a couple of years ago and that was it. Our worst performed defender this year for mine.

Two years ago he was top 4 in the b&f. Last year wasn't top 10. This year he is down on form. He loses one on ones all the time where he used to never lose them. Has career worst numbers in possessions and seems to make 'uncharacteristic' errors every week now. And at least half of his so called job on Betts was taken by Duryea who guarded betts while inside 50. Stratton only took him when he was up the ground. He didn't even have Elliott the whole game and when he was on Swan he was exposed and got shifted and Hodge put on Swan. Startton used to be brilliant on resting mids like Swan and Dangerfield. Now I worry about him. Can't see how two players not getting many touches makes him worthy of such high praise as best in the league. When was the last time Betts had much of the ball against us? And Elliot has a poor record against us too. He had one good quarter against us a couple of years ago and that was it. Our worst performed defender this year for mine.

Wow watching a different game...

Wow watching a different game...
The only comments relating to Stratton in the game day thread were like this one:

Stratts :mad: lazy as all s**t - very lucky he missed but it's the possession the coach will remember

Geezus boys. Too easy. Strats...you're an experienced defender.

Average from Stratton

s**t by Stratton.

People look down and see Elliott had a quiet game = best lock down defender in the comp :drunk:

Stratton is playing a key role in our defence, and atm I feel he is being caught between two decisions - our gameplan is much more focused on frontal pressure and forward presses than last year, and we are being broken down defensively, leaving Stratton with a decision (stay or go) - he's not getting to the player in possession, nor is he shutting down his opponent who is getting goal-side "out the back".

At his best, Stratton would play 2m in front and use his height/leap to intercept - now he is being caught 3-4m and the ball is clearing his head. The same is currently true for many of our defensive positioned players.

While watching live I'm thinking 3-4 times a game, "Stratton cost us a goal there", but on the replay you can see he has been let down by team-mates/structure not providing the necessary support.

He may be off his game (slightly), but I feel it is more our current gamestyle that is leaving him over-exposed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't finish top 10 in our b&f last year because he missed the entire pre season and was injured at different stages of the season, his last part of the year and particularly finals was top notch.

This year I thought he started the year particularly well, I had him getting back to his form of season 2013, I have been overseas for the past 6 weeks so did not see any games between Sydney and Collingwood but read about his performance on Betts and saw with my own eyes his job on Elliot last Friday.

As far as I'm concerned he is having a good season, certainly from what I have seen and it seems many other tend to agree.

The only comments relating to Stratton in the game day thread were like this one:

People look down and see Elliott had a quiet game = best lock down defender in the comp :drunk:

If you watch the game live, you see how good Stratton is.

Apart from keeping Mr Greatest Footballer Ever quiet last Friday, he made several crucial intercept punches. His main asset is his ability to play tall or short. He is a good mark, but he's also got the pace to keep up with the likes of Betts and Elliott: he can match them on the ground and in the air.

If you watch it on TV, you just don't see what's happening.

One of our most consistent and reliable players.

Last edited:
Stratts is not playing as well as he has previously, but neither is Gibbo or Lake etc etc

Hard to say how much of his down form is directly related to him and how much to the whole backline/midfield disfunction that is allowing quick ball movement down the corridor and easy goals to opponents.

To me it feels a bit like the steady stream of assistants leaving for head coaching roles has caught up with us a little in how our positional groups both forward and back seem to be down on last year

He has been magnificent in the shut-down role this year.

Just does his job, no questions asked.

His kicking has been a little wayward but all the other good stuff easily makes up for it

I guess the point is that we do not need Stratts for rebound and why would we with, Birch, Hodgey, Burgoyne, Mitch, Hilly, Smith etc all getting back to the flanks and bouncing the ball back in our direction. Stratts number 1 job is to play on the mid size to small from the opposition that provides the most danger and limit their influence.

And I reckon one of his perhaps unnoticed strengths is holding back while we are on the rebound just in case the s**t hits the fan.....or as a switch option if the boys on the rebound have hit a brick wall.

Sure he is not perfect and sometimes his decision making is a little off...but he is not an orphan there.

He is mostly a good kick, a good cutout mark and puts in the hard yards in keeping his opponent accountable.

The lad is 26 yrs old and I reckon if he can stay injury free....he is just coming into his prime.

I like.

My only beef with Stratts (and other defenders) is that under the high ball he is taking his eyes off the footy and trying to engage his opponent. My pet hate. I make my kids jump when i scream out "watch the bloody ball!" Not sure if the defenders are coached that way, but both Stratts and Brian were caught out inside 50 on Friday. A certain player who wears 25 is a chief offender when down back, but not so much up forward.

Stratton is a solid contributer , In the last three finals series he has been enormous! This year well, I'm not sure why he isn't taking intercept marks and he does seem 'off' with one on ones ( swans game was terrible at times) . In fact, the more I watch Easton ?Wood, the more I'm thinking this is what we were expecting! Anyway, long way off from been replaced though, I'm a huge fan and let's hope he keeps Walters quiet.

When it comes to judging Stattons game it's merely a matter of whether or not you find yourself cursing his opponents influence on the game. If you find you're doing that then he likely hasn't played well. Likewise, if you didn't even notice him and his opponent out there then he has probably been amongst the bests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back