NFL Best Non-Super Bowl Playoff Games of All-Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, and yes I'm biased, I loved the 1991 AFC Divisional Game between the Broncos and the Oilers. Dubbed "The Drive II" it was a ripper of a shoot out between Elway and Moon. With 2.07 left on the clock and no timeouts the Broncos started at their own 2 yard line, trailing by one.

Elway just needed to get into FG range, he managed the clock beautifully and converted 2 4th downs on the drive.

The snap was botched and somehow Gary Kubiak as the holder managed to set the ball just as David Treadwell's boot came through to kick the winning FG. But it wasn't quite over, Moon still had a chance to fire up a rocket of Hail Mary which thankfully was broken up.

I remember watching it for the first time on delay (a day after it was played, not knowing the score) and I was on edge! More so than any game in which Tebow was under centre for the Broncos!!

Personally, and yes I'm biased, I loved the 1991 AFC Divisional Game between the Broncos and the Oilers. Dubbed "The Drive II" it was a ripper of a shoot out between Elway and Moon. With 2.07 left on the clock and no timeouts the Broncos started at their own 2 yard line, trailing by one.

Elway just needed to get into FG range, he managed the clock beautifully and converted 2 4th downs on the drive.

The snap was botched and somehow Gary Kubiak as the holder managed to set the ball just as David Treadwell's boot came through to kick the winning FG. But it wasn't quite over, Moon still had a chance to fire up a rocket of Hail Mary which thankfully was broken up.

I remember watching it for the first time on delay (a day after it was played, not knowing the score) and I was on edge! More so than any game in which Tebow was under centre for the Broncos!!

I remember those days, avoiding the newspapers, TV and whatever else to not know the results and I remember that game too. Here is some more info on it:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-a...Drive-II/70000280-0c78-4e15-9944-066a77d3bda6

I remember those days, avoiding the newspapers, TV and whatever else to not know the results and I remember that game too. Here is some more info on it:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-a...Drive-II/70000280-0c78-4e15-9944-066a77d3bda6

We only had a couple of options back then... #1 Hope that The Sun or The Herald would print the scores on the Tuesday or Wednesday, #2 stay up until 1AM to watch the NBC Today Show and hope to catch the sports report in the news , or #3 wait until the following week to watch Don Lane on a Tuesday night for a single game replay with scores and a few highlights at the end of it.

We only had a couple of options back then... #1 Hope that The Sun or The Herald would print the scores on the Tuesday or Wednesday, #2 stay up until 1AM to watch the NBC Today Show and hope to catch the sports report in the news , or #3 wait until the following week to watch Don Lane on a Tuesday night for a single game replay with scores and a few highlights at the end of it.

No trip to McGills in Elizabeth St to pick up Tuesday's edition of USA Today? I made it a weekly ritual to pick up a copy whilst working in the city (across the road a matter of fact!! :p)

How about the mini-bibles back in day? Football Digest? :thumbsu::thumbsu:

41-d1B7pPuL.jpg
me8XmjjMpSe9aWXy-35yapw.jpg

No trip to McGills in Elizabeth St to pick up Tuesday's edition of USA Today? I made it a weekly ritual to pick up a copy whilst working in the city (across the road a matter of fact!! :p)

41-d1B7pPuL.jpg

I used to pickup my copies of Football Digest from Melbourne Sports Books, along with a heap of NFL books back in the day. I used to travel into McGills once a month to collect my monthly UK Commodore computer mags direct. When I was playing for the Warriors we used to train on a Wednesday night and the lads all chipped in and had McGills transfer the USA Today to our local newsagent weekly so we could all check out the scores and articles from the weeks play. That was back in 93 and 94. Not long after that we discovered this thing called the Internet where news became a little easier to get a hold of! :D

Panthers vs Rams 2003 Divisional Round 29-23 (OT) - Steve Smith

Falcons vs Vikings 1998 Conference Game 30-27 (OT) - Anderson

Saints vs Vikings 2009 Conference Game 31-28 (OT) - Bountygate Riches

Patriots vs Raiders 2001 Divisional Round 16-13 (OT) - Tuck Rule

Cardinals vs Packers 2009 Wild Card Round 51-45 (OT) - Karlos Dansby fumble return TD

Bills vs Oilers 1992 Wild Card Round 41-38 (OT) - Frank Reich greatest comeback ever

Titans vs Bills 2000 Wild Card Round 22-16 - Music City Miracle

Eagles vs Packers 2004 Divisional Round 20-17 - That 4th and 26 conversion

-------------------

edited for accuracy

41-d1B7pPuL.jpg
I used to ring the Herald/Age sports departments to get the scores :p

And the Football Digests' were gold.

This full (grainy) 1991 AFC Div game is now online

Last edited:
Biased, but the Jets @ Patriots divisional game from the 2010 season is my personal highlight. This game was played only weeks after the Patriots had flogged the Jets 45-3 at Foxborough and Rex buried a game ball in the middle of the practice field (from memory) in a fairly transparent effort to exorcise the players' demons. More importantly, though, Rex made some adjustments as to how the defence would play Brady and he struggled to cope. The Jets forced a turnover (a pick thrown by Brady off the back foot that fluttered in the air long enough for Harris to snag it and rumble down to the ~10 yard line, only for the Jets' offence to stuff up the opportunity) then sacked Brady on third down in the red zone to prevent the damage from being more than a field goal.

The Jets take the lead thanks to some good work down the sidelines by Braylon Edwards and LT gets his first TD reception in two years. The Jets' defence continue to bamboozle Brady and he misses comparatively easy throws. The Patriots' Patrick Chung then muffs a fake punt and is stuffed behind the line about 38 yards from his own end-zone with a minute to play in the half. A long run from LT sets up Sanchez's second TD pass to Edwards, who literally drags two Patriots defenders with him into the end zone to make the score 14-3 at half-time.

The Jets make plays early in the third quarter to force the Patriots to give up possession but Sanchez overthrows Cotchery with the end zone ahead of him and the Patriots march down the field to cut the lead to three points (14-11) with three quarter time beckoning after Brady finds Alge Crumpler in the end zone and a successful two point conversion attempt.

The Jets start off the fourth quarter with a long catch & run from Cotchery that puts the Jets in the red zone. A few plays later, Sanchez lofts it into the end zone and somehow, Santonio Holmes comes down with the completion and gets both feet inbounds to make it 21-11. The Jets continue to pressure Brady by showing him coverages he isn't suspecting, but Deion Branch drops a pass on fourth down (and 13) that would have extended the drive.

The Jets' offence, however, give the ball back to the Patriots with enough time on the clock for the Patriots to score twice, as the Jets fail to pick up a first down on third and short. On the ensuing punt return, Edelman gets about 30 yards running straight up the line as the metaphorical waters part for him. At this point, the Patriots still trail the Jets 21-11 with 3:29 on the clock and two time outs left.

The Jets stop the Patriots on 3rd down (and 10) within field goal range with the clock winding down to the 2 minute warning. The Patriots hustle to get the kick off but Graham misses his attempt (it hits the upright and bounces back into the field). But wait! The Jets called a timeout as Graham was kicking so he had an opportunity kick again after the 2 minute warning and this time, he was successful. The Jets' lead is cut to 21-14 with 1:57 on the clock and the Patriots to try an onside kick. The pigskin ricochets around the field for a few anxious seconds before Cromartie recovers the onside kick and dashes towards the Patriots' end zone, notwithstanding that the safer play would have been to have immediately take a knee once he secured the ball.

Then Shonn Greene takes a hand-off from Sanchez in the end zone and rather than take a knee at the 1 yard line, runs it into the end zone for another TD, to make it 28-14 with 1:41 on the clock. Greene uses the ball as a prop in the end zone to celebrate the score, with Big Rex running down to participate (rather than to tell Greene to cease using the ball as a prop). The Jets are penalised 15 yards. Brady keeps the game alive by finding Branch at the back of the end zone with 24 seconds left to make it 28-21. However, the Patriots can't recover the onside kick and the Jets advance to the AFC Championship game (where they come out and lay an egg in the first half, only to storm back in the second half but fall short of the Steelers).

The post-game interview with Bart Scott produced his infamous "Can't Wait" quote.

Game highlights: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81dbb13b/GameDay-Jets-vs-Patriots

Last edited:
A forgotten Wildcard game overlooked features Touchdown Tommy Maddox rallying the Steelers from a ridiculous 17 point deficit against the Browns who had a 4 game back up QB Kelly Holcomb who shredded the Steelers D for over 400 yards but what a comeback from late in the third Q to squeeze out the Browns to deny them a road play-off win for the first time since 1969. Steelers winning 36-33 with Tommy Maddox passing for three TD's. Bettis was sidelined so a back up RB who's name sounds like Mother F***** doing enough to get us over the line. Crazy game!! 2003 IIRC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biased, but the Jets @ Patriots divisional game from the 2010 season is my personal highlight. This game was played only weeks after the Patriots had flogged the Jets 45-3 at Foxborough and Rex buried a game ball in the middle of the practice field (from memory) in a fairly transparent effort to exorcise the players' demons. More importantly, though, Rex made some adjustments as to how the defence would play Brady and he struggled to cope. The Jets forced a turnover (a pick thrown by Brady off the back foot that fluttered in the air long enough for Harris to snag it and rumble down to the ~10 yard line, only for the Jets' offence to stuff up the opportunity) then sacked Brady on third down in the red zone to prevent the damage from being more than a field goal.

The Jets take the lead thanks to some good work down the sidelines by Braylon Edwards and LT gets his first TD reception in two years. The Jets' defence continue to bamboozle Brady and he misses comparatively easy throws. The Patriots' Patrick Chung then muffs a fake punt and is stuffed behind the line about 38 yards from his own end-zone with a minute to play in the half. A long run from LT sets up Sanchez's second TD pass to Edwards, who literally drags two Patriots defenders with him into the end zone to make the score 14-3 at half-time.

The Jets make plays early in the third quarter to force the Patriots to give up possession but Sanchez overthrows Cotchery with the end zone ahead of him and the Patriots march down the field to cut the lead to three points (14-11) with three quarter time beckoning after Brady finds Alge Crumpler in the end zone and a successful two point conversion attempt.

The Jets start off the fourth quarter with a long catch & run from Cotchery that puts the Jets in the red zone. A few plays later, Sanchez lofts it into the end zone and somehow, Santonio Holmes comes down with the completion and gets both feet inbounds to make it 21-11. The Jets continue to pressure Brady by showing him coverages he isn't suspecting, but Deion Branch drops a pass on fourth down (and 13) that would have extended the drive.

The Jets' offence, however, give the ball back to the Patriots with enough time on the clock for the Patriots to score twice, as the Jets fail to pick up a first down on third and short. On the ensuing punt return, Edelman gets about 30 yards running straight up the line as the metaphorical waters part for him. At this point, the Patriots still trail the Jets 21-11 with 3:29 on the clock and two time outs left.

The Jets stop the Patriots on 3rd down (and 10) within field goal range with the clock winding down to the 2 minute warning. The Patriots hustle to get the kick off but Graham misses his attempt (it hits the upright and bounces back into the field). But wait! The Jets called a timeout as Graham was kicking so he had an opportunity kick again after the 2 minute warning and this time, he was successful. The Jets' lead is cut to 21-14 with 1:57 on the clock and the Patriots to try an onside kick. The pigskin ricochets around the field for a few anxious seconds before Cromartie recovers the onside kick and dashes towards the Patriots' end zone, notwithstanding that the safer play would have been to have immediately take a knee once he secured the ball.

Then Shonn Greene takes a hand-off from Sanchez in the end zone and rather than take a knee at the 1 yard line, runs it into the end zone for another TD, to make it 28-14 with 1:41 on the clock. Greene uses the ball as a prop in the end zone to celebrate the score, with Big Rex running down to participate (rather than to tell Greene to cease using the ball as a prop). The Jets are penalised 15 yards. Brady keeps the game alive by finding Branch at the back of the end zone with 24 seconds left to make it 28-21. However, the Patriots can't recover the onside kick and the Jets advance to the AFC Championship game (where they come out and lay an egg in the first half, only to storm back in the second half but fall short of the Steelers).

The post-game interview with Bart Scott produced his infamous "Can't Wait" quote.

Game highlights: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81dbb13b/GameDay-Jets-vs-Patriots

Came here to post this

Some people might not rate this game, but for me it is what this game is all about, and really what our season was about.

We had to grit and claw for everything, and I never knew how we would score enough points to win the game, even with a 17-9 lead at half time.

It was about playing great defense, and outsmarting the opposition on offense as we weren't going to simply outplay them otherwise.

No Ravens @ Broncos 2012 Divisonal Game in this thread?WTF?? Easily one of the greatest games i have ever watched.

edit: my bad, first one LA posted, just no video for it, well here you go folks, now you have one.

No Ravens @ Broncos 2012 Divisonal Game in this thread?WTF?? Easily one of the greatest games i have ever watched.

edit: my bad, first one LA posted, just no video for it, well here you go folks, now you have one.

Delete this

Best game I've watched I think

I remember I laid in bed for like an hour just staring at the roof afterwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back