Bailey01

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Tennis
Viewed as one of the strongest drafts of recent. Interesting to see who is seen as the best.

Good one. Very even. Could throw a blanket over the lot of them.

I'm tipping some North angst with the Ziebell omission.

Harlett and Hill should not be on the list if that is the case.
Hill was one of Freo's best players in a team that made the grand final and Hartlett, I had to put him in there cos there would have been a uproar from Port supporters.

What? Hill did not finish in the top 10 in the clubs B&F. Like Harlett struggles to cope with a tag.
Hill was one of Freo's best in the finals series. Ziebell may be one of the best of this draft at the end of the year. Hartlett at his best can rip some sides apart with his long range goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best player of that draft: Dan Hannebery

Top 5:

1. Daniel Hannebery
2. Dayne Beams
3. Rory Sloane
4. Nic Natanui
5. David Zaharakis

Best value/draft smoky: Luke Breust (Pick number 47 in the 2008 rookie draft)

Best player of that draft: Dan Hannebery

Top 5:

1. Daniel Hannebery
2. Dayne Beams
3. Rory Sloane
4. Nic Natanui
5. David Zaharakis

Whoa did he really go in this draft

I just had a look through that Rookie draft and there are quite a few players who have done well. Just shows how deep the 2008 draft class was. Maybe with a bit of bias but I still think that Rockliff (pick 5 in the pre-season draft) is one of the best value picks

I just had a look through that Rookie draft and there are quite a few players who have done well. Just shows how deep the 2008 draft class was. Maybe with a bit of bias but I still think that Rockliff (pick 5 in the pre-season draft) is one of the best value picks

Looking back Brisbane have done really well in that draft. Picking up Rockliff, Rich and Redden.

Gee I wonder how he slipped all the way back

Yeah, 2008 was the rookie draft where the Crows "infamously" (at least here on BF) declined to select a full complement of rookies because they didn't believe there was anyone else worth taking a punt on, and figured they'd be better off pocketing the salary instead.

After we passed, Luke Breust, Clancee Pearce, Mike Pyke, Matt Suckling, Greg Broughton, and ironically, Sam Jacobs (albeit he was demoted to the rookie list after Carlton initially selected him in the ND a few years earlier) were all selected. There were a couple of other players who also played a decent bit of AFL footy despite not being great players, like Jay Van Berlo and Darren Pfeiffer. Lachlan Keefe from Collingwood was also taken.

Regarding the poll itself, it's really difficult to choose. There's nobody that stands out as a "must select" player, but all of them on that list are very, very good. I went with Beams, but geez, you'd be just as happy with any of them.

Looking back Brisbane have done really well in that draft. Picking up Rockliff, Rich and Redden.

Great for Brisbane they are 3 younger blokes who actually stayed.

Tough choice between Beams and Nic Nat, I voted for Beams for performance but Naitanui is just so bloody exciting and has that real x factor where he could become the games best player.

Last edited:
Right now, Beams is the best player. If Naitanui had been injury free the last 12 months it would be him. Naitanui's 2012 is the best season any of them have had.

Not biased at all, getting a player in the PSD who can get 20 brownlow votes is a fair bargain. :thumbsu:

Back