Wicketkeeping Appreciation Society

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing better as a keeper than a leg side stumping of a medium. Sadly you won't see many more of them of that quality.
The only other one I can think of is the one by Tim Ludeman of Chadd Sayers' bowling earlier this season.

The only other one I can think of is the one by Tim Ludeman of Chadd Sayers' bowling earlier this season.

Best keeper in domestic cricket and a better bat than what his figures say. If he went back to his very straight back lift and set up when he left Nestles CC he would make many more first class runs and be in contention to play higher

Great pieces of fielding mentioned and shown on this thread. The art of wicket keeping is undervalued for mine. If I was a selector I would always prioritise have my best available keeper in the team over a batsman-keeper.

The art of wicket keeping is undervalued for mine. If I was a selector I would always prioritise have my best available keeper in the team over a batsman-keeper.
Agreed that the art is undervalued but I think the game has gone past selecting keepers who can not contribute with the bat. To be fair you don't see many of them around these days in state level and above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was very impressive.

Of course, the moment is ruined by an umpire unwilling to give it out, despite the batsman being so far out he walked.

As a former bowler, you just cannot place enough value on having a good gloveman. They really do make you a better bowler.

Of course, the moment is ruined by an umpire unwilling to give it out, despite the batsman being so far out he walked.

As a former bowler, you just cannot place enough value on having a good gloveman. They really do make you a better bowler.
As a current bowler, I 100% completely agree with you.

Best keeper in domestic cricket and a better bat than what his figures say. If he went back to his very straight back lift and set up when he left Nestles CC he would make many more first class runs and be in contention to play higher

I would argue Hartley still has him covered, but the pair are way out in front of the rest.

Agreed that the art is undervalued but I think the game has gone past selecting keepers who can not contribute with the bat. To be fair you don't see many of them around these days in state level and above.

I appreciate where you are coming from. Certainly the traits and skills needed by a keeper are determined by the mode of cricket being played.

As a Victorian cricket follower I was always sympathetic to Darren Berry's cause. With Healy and Gilchrist ahead he had seldom chance to play for Australia (although he did comically take the field half pissed during an ODI for a brief stint). Nonetheless when second keepers were taken for overseas tours he still didn't get much of a look in. I'm sure Warne and MacGill would have much preferred Berry's first rate keeping as opposed to the likes of Wade Seccombe (good, honest player in his own right) who would have been lucky to experience any leg-spin bowling in senior cricket.

Nothing better as a keeper than a leg side stumping of a medium. Sadly you won't see many more of them of that quality.

Agreed. Closely followed by a catch standing up. Lot of keepers get bagged for dropping those but in a lot of cases they either hit the right part of the glove and stick or they don't.

When I saw the title I came here to mention the Berry/Reiffel one. Loved watching Berry at work up to the stumps!

Seccombe was a superb keeper.

Barking up the wrong tree there

Woof, woof:)

Seccombe was a fine cricketer absolutely. I used him to make my point about someone coming in to replace an injury Healy and Gilchrist for their first test and requiring to keep to field to Warne or MacGill for the first time. It would have been a mighty task. Can I ask did Seccombe ever keep to a leggie?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back