Best player in the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
How many times has your club taken the best player in the draft?

Ok, the reality is that this will probably end up with a heap of 'Judd is better than Hodge' arguments, which is not the aim of the thread. In those years where it's really difficult to split we can make it the top two best players.

From Melbourne's perspective our best chances to claim this title was early on in the draft history, with Steven Febey in 1986 (yeah, how many of you weren't even born then?) but Alastair Lynch was better or in 81 with Alan Johnson. Unfortunately for us a long haired kid going by the name of John Platten was taken with pick 19.

Perhaps in time Brayshaw may be considered but that's a long way off but it would be interesting to see which club has been the most successful with this

btw, Judd was better than Hodge ;)

Scott Pendlebury 2005 draft.

Our next chance is De Goey and Moore but have allot of competion with Brayshaw and the likes.

Nice idea.

You've already listed Lynch (never would have thought to check him), so I'll take him. :D

I thought Brisbane would have a shoe-in in '97 with Simon Black, but I forgot Goodes got taken 12 picks later. :(

Voss ('92) and Akermanis ('94) were zone selections so don't really count IMO or they probably would have "won" those years.

Brown in 1999 has strong competition with Pav and Enright. I'd take Brown but I can understand arguments either way.

Can't think of too many others in the draft era with strong claims.

Port probably got the best players in the draft two years in a row with Wingard and Wines.

2007 is an interesting one. Boak, Joel Selwood, Jack Riewoldt, Goldstein, Josh Kennedy (Sydney version), Robbie Gray would all have a case.

Port probably got the best players in the draft two years in a row with Wingard and Wines.

2007 is an interesting one. Boak, Joel Selwood, Jack Riewoldt, Goldstein, Josh Kennedy (Sydney version), Robbie Gray would all have a case.

Joel Selwood is the one who really stands out in that group, all are great players though.

Last edited:
Joel Selwood is the one who really stands out in that group, all a great players though.

Goldstein is a Bloody Good Ruckman and Riewoldt has won a few Coleman's.

I reckon Ben Reid would be in the Conversation IF he was not Injury Prone

Scott Pendlebury 2005 draft.

Our next chance is De Goey and Moore but have allot of competion with Brayshaw and the likes.

We took the two best players, or if not close to it in 2008 in Beams and Sidebottom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2000: Reiwoldt
2001: Judd
2002: Goddard
2003: Shaw - beats Cooney IMV because he has sustained his best footy for much, much longer, Cooney was only good for a small period and has played average footy now for a long time.
2004: Franklin
2005: Pendlebury
2006: Selwood
2007: Dangerfield
2008: Beams
2009: Fyfe
2010: Heppell
2011: Wingard (Cameron)
2012: Grundy
2013: Bontempelli
2014: Moore

Look, I'm probably bias with 2012 and 2014 but both have potential to be there, a long way to go with those drafts but they are my prodictions. Heppell is a good reflection of a weak draft as is shaw/cooney

Naitanui, rockliff and Sloane are better then sidey by miles.

Sidey over Rockliff, comfortably. Sloane forgot about him. Natinui a different player, but very inconsistent

Also, it's *than, not then..
*than.

Sidey over Rockliff, comfortably. Sloane forgot about him. Natinui a different player, but very inconsistent

Also, it's *than, not then..
*than.
If it was a redraft it would go:
Naitanui
Beams
Sloane
Rocky
Sidey so no you didn't even get the best player let alone the best two.

Also an ellipses is three dots not two... Three.

For the Dogs I'd think we could stake a claim with

1993 Draft (Brad Johnson) - From memory Nigel Lappin the other contender
2012 Draft (Jake Stringer) - Most credentialed player so far from that draft with the only player from that draft to be an All Australian
2013 Draft (Marcus Bontempelli) - Best young player award 2015

2010 was actually a sensational draft. Plenty of talent in that draft.

If it was a redraft it would go:
Naitanui
Beams
Sloane
Rocky
Sidey so no you didn't even get the best player let alone the best two.

Also an ellipses is three dots not two... Three.

Each to their own.
I think Natinui goes missing and has been inconsistent and played only one very good season.

For me,

Beams
Natinui
Hurley
Sloane
Sidebottom

Id take Sidey, NicNat, and Hurley over the next five years over Sloane, and perhaps some of those over Beams too.

Those five guys are al guns. Just ask Bris who offered Beams an almost million dollar contract. Or Sidey, who have Essendon desperate for his signature, and who was offered a big arse contract by NM last trade period.

Rockliff not even in the frame.

Last edited:
Each to their own.
I think Natinui goes missing and has been inconsistent and played only one very good season.

For me,

Beams
Natinui
Hurley
Sloane
Sidebottom

Id take Sidey, NicNat, and Hurley over the next five years over Sloane, and perhaps some of those over Beams too.

Those five guys are al guns. Just ask Bris who offered Beams an almost million dollar contract. Or Sidey, who have Essendon desperate for his signature, and who was offered a big arse contract by NM last trade period.

Rockliff not even in the frame.
Have you seen GWS's trade offer for naitanui? Which was his very good season, this one or when he was AA? Not to mention ruckman take longer to develop and he is by far the best ruck around his age, could you say that beams is even the best mid for his age let alone by miles?

I'll ignore Franklin and Hall for the purposes of this. It's hard to find better players in their draft but we didn't originally draft them so....

I think we got the best in 1997, though a couple of others would have cases. 2010 possibly but again it's hard to say who's the best in that draft, there's several that have shown comparable signs thus far.

Have you seen GWS's trade offer for naitanui? Which was his very good season, this one or when he was AA? Not to mention ruckman take longer to develop and he is by far the best ruck around his age, could you say that beams is even the best mid for his age let alone by miles?

How much of the population are Beams Height? How much of the population are Natinui's height?
Beams is one of the best midfielders in the game. I'm not getting drawn into a ridiculous argument with you. They are all guns it's a matter of opinion. All five of the guys I mentioned are guns, who any club would love playing for them.

For the eagles ill go:
Cousins 1995 (if F/S is included)
Cox/Kerr in 2000: Cox 1, Kerr 3
Naitanui 2008
Darling, gaff and McGovern all have a chance for 2010

How much of the population are Beams Height? How much of the population are Natinui's height?
Beams is one of the best midfielders in the game. I'm not getting drawn into a ridiculous argument with you. They are all guns it's a matter of opinion. All five of the guys I mentioned are guns, who any club would love playing for them.
Beams is one of the best midfielders in the game he would struggle to be in the top 20, while Naitanui is firmly in the top 20 players in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back