Best players in Country Vic

Remove this Banner Ad

Tubba

Debutant
Jul 8, 2003
It would be good to know people's thoughts on the best players of each league running around in country vic.
Here's a few to get you started
Julian Field-Redan/Ballarat FL
Marc Grieg-Warrick Eagles/Wimmera FL
Leigh Gathercole-South Mildura/Suraysia FL
Rhys Archard-Echuca/Goulburn Valley FL
Jon McCormick-Wangaratta/Ovens & Murray FL
Ryan O Sullivan-Tooleybuc Mangatang/Central Murray FL
Jason McNamara-Colac/Geelong FL
ect ect

Marc Greig hasn't played a game in the Wimmera FL yet. You may well be right about him in six months time but right now he isn't the best player in the league.
Paul McLoughlan of Ararat, Andrew Carter of Horsham United, Gavin Kelm of St Michaels and Damien Skurrie or David Johns of Horsham would all have legit claim at that title I reckon. No doubt Greig wil be in the mix very quickly but he needs to prove himself first.
Scott Turner may play for Ararat this year but his past doesn't mean he gets a walk up start as the best player in the league.

Trent Hotton- Mansfield.

If there is a better country footballer at the moment, I will drive to see him play.

Hotton has the abaility to play EVERY position on the ground.

Best players ive played with and aganst

Matt Walder ex warrack eagles
Frasier Quick Warrack eagles
Paul Okley warrack eagles
PK Parfett ex warrack eagles

Hardest opponents
Ash Clugston dim
Sonny Lindsey dim
Mal Adams united

Flat Track Bully said:
Trent Hotton- Mansfield.

If there is a better country footballer at the moment, I will drive to see him play.

Hotton has the abaility to play EVERY position on the ground.

Could not agree with you more FTB, fantastic player, one has to wonder why he couldn't make it in the AFL.

Yeah Luke Was pretty handy player had a bad year last year coaching must have got to him.

Forgot another one Scotty stwert Retired now but he was so layed back and was one of the best ive played with.

ANOTHER opponent

Luke Carr for some reason i always get the job on him he's a machine.
Also Dale bligh isnt bad either

roos said:
Could not agree with you more FTB, fantastic player, one has to wonder why he couldn't make it in the AFL.

Hotton has visited the secondary school in Ararat a few times to speak to the students. He regularly talks about maturity, attitude, etc. I think he feels that the commitment required to be an elite footballer was beyond him at the age he needed to have it.

Anyone ever seen Dean Bennett play.. used to play at Birchip now at Swan Hill absoloute gun..

Scott Batchelor former Kalkee now Horsham player would be in the list too i reakon.

Weapo said:
One of the best ive seen for sure!!

Played with him a few times a few years back and he still had it then but i think i missed out on the best of him. Heard he was Country Victorias best player by a mile at 1 stage.

Ash Gemmill is the best player outside the AFL I've seen. Super quick and strong. Amazing at running blokes down from behind.

Between him and his brother nathan they have won 8 of nathalia's B&F since 1996.

Ash has won only one league medal but should have won a few more. Blasting the umpires has cost him.

Tim Hargraves would have to be up there now he's back at Yarra

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grimmett said:
Luke Rosa?

I know the Ararat match committee rated him very highly.

Sorry grimmett cant agree on this one... Luke is a very good player dont get me wrong but hes not in the class of the best players in country vic. Do you remember Marc Adams who coached Brim a few years back he would be in the list somewhere i reackon......Your thoughts??

X Man said:
Anyone ever seen Dean Bennett play.. used to play at Birchip now at Swan Hill absoloute gun..

Won nearly ten club B&Fs and three league medals. Absolute star! If he was a little quicker would have made it even though he should have anyway. Disagree with Luke Rosa too. Good player but nowhere near the best in country vic. I'm telling you bloke in the Wimmera that Marc Grieg will win the league medal. I'd put $100 on it.

Best country Vic players are: Robbie Douglas from Seymour in the GVFL. And Lawrence Angwin from Broadford in the HDFL. No-one will be able to disagree with me because you all know i am right

gta3 said:
Best country Vic players are: Robbie Douglas from Seymour in the GVFL. And Lawrence Angwin from Broadford in the HDFL. No-one will be able to disagree with me because you all know i am right

:thumbsdown: Lawrence Angwin:thumbsdown:

Tubba said:
:thumbsdown: Lawrence Angwin:thumbsdown:

What are u talking about tubba. Angwin is an apsolute freak at footy. He is 6 foot 7 and has a massive leap on him. He doesn't loose a ruck constest, he will mark everything, and he never misses a shot at goal and always hits his targets. when he takes marks it looks like he has taken a specky but all he has done is jumped

gta3 said:
What are u talking about tubba. Angwin is an apsolute freak at footy. He is 6 foot 7 and has a massive leap on him. He doesn't loose a ruck constest, he will mark everything, and he never misses a shot at goal and always hits his targets. when he takes marks it looks like he has taken a specky but all he has done is jumped

Angwin is not 200cm's mate.

Russ74 said:
Some that I've seen;

Dean Bennett
Jarrod Arentz
Sean Drennan
Chris Doyle
Paul Evans

Drennan was is a gun. Leigh Marshall at Deni, GV Matty Byers, Brad Campbell, Jarrod Sutherland, Saad Saad, Rory Hilton this year?? Murray- Gemmill twins Sunraysia- Alvey, Gathercole, Ryan Hards, Denny Fox

X Man said:
Sorry grimmett cant agree on this one... Luke is a very good player dont get me wrong but hes not in the class of the best players in country vic. Do you remember Marc Adams who coached Brim a few years back he would be in the list somewhere i reackon......Your thoughts??

Sorry, my mentioning of Luke Rosa was not in relation to the thread title but a post by Warrack Eagles (Germano) about the guys he played with at Warrack that were impressive. I fully appreciate that Rosa is not amongst the VCFL elite.
I prompted Germano's response by suggesting Marc Greig is not the best footballer in the Wimmera FL yet. I stand by that comment but am more than prepared to acknowledge that he is the new king after he has played some games.

chris white- edenhope-apsley
phil butsch- laharum
cam penny horsham

are all great to watch and unstoppable on their day

Warrack Eagles said:
Best players ive played with and aganst

Matt Walder ex warrack eagles
Frasier Quick Warrack eagles
Paul Okley warrack eagles
PK Parfett ex warrack eagles

Hardest opponents
Ash Clugston dim