Best players you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

The bloke moved from Victory to their biggest rival within the space of a year and became their best player, fans were well within their rights to boo him. Extenuating circumstances were sad but this is football, what happens off the pitch is irrelevant.

When he came back to play for Heart, the only club that would take him, and MV supporters booed him mercilessly. I was at that game, it was embarrassing as a Victory fan.

Same here, he was a hero for me when I was younger so I could never boo the man, although I must admit to finding the chant about his wife pretty amusing.

I was disappointed as an MV fan how many turned on him as soon as he left, with may refusing to believe the mother in law story. At the end of the day it was disappointing that he joined Heart but he made it clear that he'd made a home in Melbourne and wanted to come back here (can't blame him for that). We didn't, and couldn't offer him anything so he had no other choice but to join Heart, it's not like he started a bidding war and played us off against each other, he just wanted to play football.

The bloke moved from Victory to their biggest rival within the space of a year and became their best player, fans were well within their rights to boo him. Extenuating circumstances were sad but this is football, what happens off the pitch is irrelevant.
He's not 'the bloke', he's the best player that our country has produced for decades.

He's not 'the bloke', he's the best player that our country has produced for decades.

I don't care if he's the Australian version of Pele, he turned down a contract with the club and showed up at their biggest rivals a year later. I respect him a lot for his contribution to the game in Australia, but that doesn't affect his perception in the A-league.

I don't care if he's the Australian version of Pele, he turned down a contract with the club and showed up at their biggest rivals a year later. I respect him a lot for his contribution to the game in Australia, but that doesn't affect his perception in the A-league.
It's not exactly a Michael Owen situation though is it where he plays 10 years at Liverpool, scores 150 odd goals then joins our biggest rivals in United. A club legend joining our biggest rivals.

Didnt Kewell play one year the Victory. That's it, then signed with the Heart. That's not a big deal.

It's not exactly a Michael Owen situation though is it where he plays 10 years at Liverpool, scores 150 odd goals then joins our biggest rivals in United. A club legend joining our biggest rivals.

Didnt Kewell play one year the Victory. That's it, then signed with the Heart. That's not a big deal.

Did you see the hype that was made when he came over here? Even if you go to a Victory game now there's still a lot of fans with his name on their shirt, and that's not even going into the circumstances surrounding his departure.

Really? Kewell pretty much went from Victory to Heart via turning up at Stoke's preseason. There was a significant gap with Owen playing for Real, Newcastle and someone else before he came to United to chase a premier league medal. He was washed up at that stage anyway. United fans don't hate Paul Ince just because he played for Liverpool, Hughes for Chelsea and managing City, or Silvestre for playing for Arsenal.

I wanted to do a Dutch one...

................Van der Sar..................
Reiziger...Stam....F.de Boer....Van Bronckhorst
...................Davids......................
Robben.......Seedorf..........Overmars
...........Bergkamp.............................
.....................van Nistelrooy.............

van Persie
Kluivert
Sneijder
Cocu
N. de Jong
R. de Boer
Krul

Last edited:
Owen ran down his contract by basically saying his agent was on "sabbatical" for a year and forced us to sell him for a pittance, then joined the Mancs later on. That's why we hate the little twat
I didn't know that. Well i can understand not liking him for the way he acted when leaving but still not the fact he chased medals in semi-retirement. If he hadn't scored that goal against city, he'd probably be disliked by United fans too for stealing cash. Something must have gone on when he was leaving Liverpool though as he hasn't been too complementary since leaving.

I didn't know that. Well i can understand not liking him for the way he acted when leaving but still not the fact he chased medals in semi-retirement. If he hadn't scored that goal against city, he'd probably be disliked by United fans too for stealing cash. Something must have gone on when he was leaving Liverpool though as he hasn't been too complementary since leaving.
He's not complementary because he engineered leaving then we won the European Cup without him and his career went into a tailspin. He is also bitter and annoyed that we hate him even though he was a club legend. But how can we not. You engineered leaving and we had to sell you for 8 million pounds which was a joke. Then you joined Manchester United.

* off Owen, you campaigner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you see the hype that was made when he came over here? Even if you go to a Victory game now there's still a lot of fans with his name on their shirt, and that's not even going into the circumstances surrounding his departure.
Pretty sure it went:
2011/12 - Kewell leaves Australia to move back to the UK closer to his sick mother-in-law
2012/13 - Turns up at Stoke and trains at a host of UK based clubs doesnt get an offer.
2013 - moves to Al-Gharafa for a guest stint at the close of their season
2013/14 - Kewell signs for Melbourne Heart. After nearly 18 months and just 3 games Heart were the only club to offer him a contract (believed to be non-marquee wages).

If Victory wanted him back they could have signed him, anyone could have he was a free-agent. What's he meant to do wait til someone else comes in for him in the hope he does get signed? He'd spent 18 months out of the game. And its a manufactured that was only 3 years old :rolleyes:

If Victory wanted him back they could have signed him, anyone could have he was a free-agent. What's he meant to do wait til someone else comes in for him in the hope he does get signed? He'd spent 18 months out of the game. And its a manufactured that was only 3 years old :rolleyes:

Pretty sure it went:
- Turn down a contract offer from Victory saying that you don't want to play in Australia
- Return to play in Australia after you're unable to find another club to take you.

Kewell was more than welcome to sign with any club he wanted to, its his career and he's entirely right to make the best of it. However, that doesn't mean that Victory fans have to like it when he joins their biggest rivals, particularly after turning them down initially. Also not sure what you mean by that last sentence.

Pretty sure it went:
- Turn down a contract offer from Victory saying that you don't want to play in Australia
- Return to play in Australia after you're unable to find another club to take you.

Kewell was more than welcome to sign with any club he wanted to, its his career and he's entirely right to make the best of it. However, that doesn't mean that Victory fans have to like it when he joins their biggest rivals, particularly after turning them down initially. Also not sure what you mean by that last sentence.
Turned down playing in australia after the 11/12 season and returned 18 months later. The last sentence means its like someone leaving one big bash league team to another in cricket it's all a bit plastic and fake

Remove this Banner Ad

Back