Toast Best ruck combo in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon you have to go a while back to have a 1-2-3 as great as Sandi, Zarke, and Big Griff. All three would be first choice at any club essentially. Our ruck stocks are incredible.

I reckon you have to go a while back to have a 1-2-3 as great as Sandi, Zarke, and Big Griff. All three would be first choice at any club essentially. Our ruck stocks are incredible.

Well, I think it's actually a tremendous 1-2-3-4-5. For all the stick he's copped on here lately, Hannath is a perfectly adequate cover ruckman who is still developing nicely, and right at the back there's Moller, who from his basketball-esque ruckwork in the St Kilda match last year will probably offer us something different again once his body fills out.

So many teams would kill to bat that deep in the ruck stocks; given the excellent age spread of ours, we have to keep them all together here as much as we can.

Loved towards the end of the 4th quarter when the Bombers player kicked it out from our defensive 50; Sandi takes the contested mark, handballs in to McPharlin who sends it straight back in for Clarke to take a leading mark = goal.

Best example of how our ruck combo should work every week.

WTF were the Bombers thinking?

Task's not much harder next week with only one genuine ruckmen at Sydney who is woefully wanting for form.

Hurley on Pav, when one of the best young KPF's in the game is doing nothing at all in the ruck, made me laugh all game long.

God Hurley is a hack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are very lucky and they will be important for us up forward on the pathetically small SCG ground as well where there is no room to move.

BUT Of the other clubs Hawthorn do very well out of McEvoy and Hale. If Clarke can take his forward line work to the level that Hale is at then I reckon we might have the best combo going. Defies understanding the non-selection of a genuine ruck against by Essendoom, it was almost like they conceded the game before starting - Chapman and Fletcher deemed too precious and old to travel etc.

Essendon didn't have a genuine ruck to select without upgrading a rookie.

I said many years ago that Freo would have the best ruck duo even if it was Sandi and Peter Bell as the ruck duo and I still feel the same way, the only thing that has kept Sandi out of being the #1 ruckman by a country mile has been injuries. Once you have one ruckman who is so dominant the backup is almost irrelevant.

Loved towards the end of the 4th quarter when the Bombers player kicked it out from our defensive 50; Sandi takes the contested mark, handballs in to McPharlin who sends it straight back in for Clarke to take a leading mark = goal.

Best example of how our ruck combo should work every week.

That bit made me very happy. He plucked the contested mark right out of the hands of Carlisle. Had been belting him in the ruck all game, but that was an extra little kick in the guts in that defusing that kind of situation should be Carlisle's bread and butter.

Carlisle is a terrific young player... would love him on our list... but Sandi gave him a bath on Sunday.

Hurley on Pav, when one of the best young KPF's in the game is doing nothing at all in the ruck, made me laugh all game long.

Which KPF was that? If you mean Carlisle, then I don't think they had much choice. They needed someone too (try to) ruck against Sandi. If you mean Daniher, then I suspect they'd have kept him forward whenever Carlisle didn't need a breather.

And I suspect Carlisle would have been absolutely r**ted wrestling against a genuine ruck all game, on a hot day, with Sandi running around trying to burn the bloke out.

Which KPF was that? If you mean Carlisle, then I don't think they had much choice. They needed someone too (try to) ruck against Sandi. If you mean Daniher, then I suspect they'd have kept him forward whenever Carlisle didn't need a breather.

And I suspect Carlisle would have been absolutely r**ted wrestling against a genuine ruck all game, on a hot day, with Sandi running around trying to burn the bloke out.

Yeah, I meant Carlisle. I love the kid.

Why not send Hurley into ruck with Daniher? He was getting an absolute bath by Pav anyway and Carlisle would have been a much better match-up.

Anyway...who cares now? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back