Toast Best ruck combo in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the reason Rich and Hill are compared so much is that they are both mids from WA and it was a very difficult decision. Naitanui are Watts are completely different players, the Rich/Hill comparison makes far more sense IMO.

Its funny how this eagle state, love comparing Nit Nat with Watts, yet S Hill was taken at pick 3, and has never been compared to the ruckman.
We have been questioned on picking Hill over Rich how many times?
Our ruck division has been better than theirs for several years, and our depth in the ruck is superior, Cox is finished as a great player, he would rather
play for free kicks these days and living off his name. Z Clarke also has huge potential, but plays for the wrong team in this state, and will always be
in Nit Nats shadow.

I'd rather Jack Watts on Freo's list than NN.

Just as close as boon & marsh to Hayden & langer(sandi-Clarke)

Obviously in terms of ruckwork they aren't anywhere near as good as Sandi + Clarke, but they make up for it in terms of forward threat, since Hale is probably the best Forward/Chop out Ruckman in the league, and MacEvoy is a very good ruckman in his own right.

Nobody talks about him much but getting MacEvoy made Hawthorn a fair bit stronger, because it allows Hale to play forward more.

Obviously in terms of ruckwork they aren't anywhere near as good as Sandi + Clarke, but they make up for it in terms of forward threat, since Hale is probably the best Forward/Chop out Ruckman in the league, and MacEvoy is a very good ruckman in his own right.

Nobody talks about him much but getting MacEvoy made Hawthorn a fair bit stronger, because it allows Hale to play forward more.

I agree hale being the better forward of the other three.
I reckon we might see Clarke hitting the scoreboard a bit more for us this year which will help us out going forward.

This will be controversial so hold onto your hats!

I think the Eagles need to trade him to Gold Coast for Swallow and try and squeeze Bennell in there as well.

The Eagles midfield needs a kick and Gold Coast will be even better with Nic Nat, he would get zero possessions a game but the midfield at his feet will mean he has a mountain of score involvement stats.

If they could trade Nic Nat and a late first rounder for Swallow and Harley, I reckon they'd be mad not to consider it. Their weakness is midfield depth, onball depth and midfield class. Combining those two would immediately turn that around. They have old man Cox, Lycett developing and Sinclair also developing. Would require a fair bit of guts to pull the trigger, but could be well worthwhile.

Dunno if GC would go for it, as they already have Smith and Nicholls on their list.

Don't see it happening... a bunch of Eagles members would probably throw away their memberships in protest, and the WA media wouldn't know what to write about. But if it did, it'd make a fair bit of sense to me anyway.

If they could trade Nic Nat and a late first rounder for Swallow and Harley, I reckon they'd be mad not to consider it. Their weakness is midfield depth, onball depth and midfield class. Combining those two would immediately turn that around. They have old man Cox, Lycett developing and Sinclair also developing. Would require a fair bit of guts to pull the trigger, but could be well worthwhile.

Dunno if GC would go for it, as they already have Smith and Nicholls on their list.

Don't see it happening... a bunch of Eagles members would probably throw away their memberships in protest, and the WA media wouldn't know what to write about. But if it did, it'd make a fair bit of sense to me anyway.

Swallow just signed for three more years didn't he? Don't think he's planning on going anywhere soon.

And the weags wouldn't never pull the trigger on that... NicNat saving kitties from trees, playing in the hailstones, and texting Freo players keeps them relevant in a world where their on-field performance has largely been shyte.

Well the reason Rich and Hill are compared so much is that they are both mids from WA and it was a very difficult decision. Naitanui are Watts are completely different players, the Rich/Hill comparison makes far more sense IMO.
Did the eagles make a mistake taking Nit Nat over Hill? who would you honestly have picked? I know we made the correct decision picking Hill
over Rich. Did the eagles?

Given that they didn't have any other up and coming ruckman at the time, I guess they did. The fact that Naitanui has been their first choice backup ruckman basically since he was drafted suggests they chose according to need.

As far as Hill/Rich goes, Dayne Beams and Hannebery were taken 29 and 30 in the same draft, and I think of the 4 Beams and Hannebery have shown the most to date, but Hill is looking like he could overtake them all so far this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that was such an epic draft. Melbourne and Richmond are the ones that really stuffed it up.
I reckon if Melbourne had taken Naitanui WC would have taken Rich and we would still have taken Hill.
There was much discussion on the board at the time, some were lobbying for Hartlett and others for Ziebell.
Hill looking an inspired choice 5 years on although there are plenty of good players taken after.
Ballantyne was very controversial but has proved another great selection, not to mention Clarke and Walters etc etc.

Did the eagles make a mistake taking Nit Nat over Hill? who would you honestly have picked? I know we made the correct decision picking Hill
over Rich. Did the eagles?

Last thing the eagles need is another outside mid so hill would have been a bad pick for them but they could certainly use Rich in their midfield.... if they had given Ebert some opportunities there as well he may have stayed and they'd look different and probably have a functional midfield... but hindsight's a wonderful thing.

Not only do we have the best ruck combo but we also have the best inside 50 combo in the whole competition. Stephen Hill is the clear #1 inside 50 player in the comp (and has been for a few weeks) and Danyle Pearce is equal second in the comp for inside 50's. Both have been very good so far this year :thumbsu:

Natanui's only young yet, no need to go writing him off as a ruckman takes a fair while to develop. I think he's going to be one of the very good ones, eventually.

In terms of Freo, though, of course Hill was a better pick for us. He's getting better every year, and we certainly don't need yet another ruckman ourselves.

Clarke is similar enough to Natanui in both style of play and potential that it makes little difference, in my eyes.
If Clarke was from Africa, he'd be lauded just as much in the media as Natanui is for the Eagles.

*Disclaimer - that last comment may or may not have been made, depending on how cynical I'm feeling at this point in time, and whether or not I'm being taken to town for making it.

Zac's father is African-American so you'd think the AFL would be keen to use him as a marketing tool as well.

Zac's father is African-American so you'd think the AFL would be keen to use him as a marketing tool as well.
jim-kelly-enter-the-dragon.jpg

Last thing the eagles need is another outside mid so hill would have been a bad pick for them but they could certainly use Rich in their midfield.... if they had given Ebert some opportunities there as well he may have stayed and they'd look different and probably have a functional midfield... but hindsight's a wonderful thing.

Who are their quality outside mids? I count Gaff. Who am I missing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back