Best tall swingman in the AFL

Best tall swingman

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh wow, my post got deleted.

If it was like your avatar I am not surprised. :)

BOT Roughead is the best old style ruck rover in the game.

Went with Roughead, but I'd personally say it's bad etiquette to change someone's poll options without permission. He's barely a swingman now anyway, hasn't consistently played down there for ages.

Everyone pick Roughead just so someone can feel very important.
what a bloody joke this thread turned out to be.

If Reid is fit then he is in the top 1-3 defenders in the comp and very competent goalkicking forward. Problem is he hasn't been fit for two seasons which kind of disqualifies him from this poll. On 2014 form it is Westoff.

I voted for Reid anyway though.

Taylor is clearly the best player of the lot. That said he's definitely better down back rather than forward.

Henderson is the truest example of a tall swingman that regularly switches between defense and forward. He's also quite good in both roles - although i'd still have Taylor ahead of him.

Carlisle looks set to be a forward barring a lot of injuries to tall defenders. So far he's a lot better down back than up forward - but has obviously shown some good potential up forward without the consistency.

I obviously haven't seen much of Port Adelaide because i didn't even realise that Westhoff had played much time in defense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He moves back into defence plenty, while he also exerted his influence when playing as a 2nd ruck. He's certainly a better poll option than Hurley.
From what I see, he drifts back and plays loose to block the space/ take contested marks to repel attacks.

How often does he go back to play 1 on 1 as a defender marking an opponent for any length of time? Henderson, Reid, Carlisle and Hurley would go back as genuine one on one defenders for extended periods every week. Many times they'd play a full game as 1 on 1 defenders.

Roughead is a magnificent player and very versatile, but he is not a genuine KPD/KPF. He's a KPF/Ruck who drifts back to help out when required.

(Also poor form from a mod to add a poll option without permission, very convenient it happened to be a player he loves from his team, doubt it would've been changed to include a player from a different team.)

269380-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

2_14CoFr12MW%20738.jpg

343287-james-hird.jpg

Back