Best value booze

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry man I was being slightly facetious.

Arak is a cheap drink you can get around South East Asia.

Didn't even know you could get it legitimately in Australia. 40 bucks seems expensive for a bottle. Costs less than 1/10th over there, probably even less. It gets a bad run in the hysterical media here cause some people have got methanol poising from it over the years, cause it's often made by blokes in their backyard.

To seriously answer your question, the days of cheap booze are pretty much long gone in this country :(

Looking at the reviews on Dan Murphy's I guess an example of the kind of thing I'm looking for is where the Kilkenny Cream is rated 4.5 stars and reviewed as a quite fine alternative to Baileys, but significantly cheaper (not that Baileys is that expensive to start with).
Yep I had this a month or so ago, but different to baileys bit dollar for dollar the far superior product.

Yep I had this a month or so ago, but different to baileys but dollar for dollar the far superior product.
I haven't had it in years, I think the last time I had it I was nicking it out of the pantry while I was still underage :p

Will be picking a bottle up though.

I have tried one substitution so far. The fiancee loves toffee apple martinis (OK, I love them too), I made them with De Kuyper brand for both strawberry schnapps and sour apple. I tried the Sour Monkey sour apple instead as it is 2/3 the price. It is...OK. The resulting cocktail is certainly quite nice, but it has a much more sour kick than with the De Kuyper apple. I will probably go back (actually I'll probably have both and only give the 'good stuff' to those who are worthy :p)

I was expecting this to be a student's thread.

Aldi does slabs for $28 or something. Their Pale Ale is actually pretty nice and their standard lagers certainly drinkable. There are some beers they stock at BWS too, they're in a short little bottle but still 300ml, and they're like $10 for a six pack. I think they're imports.

I did get a pretty good deal earlier in the week.

Woolworths had a 3 for $90 deal on a variety of spirits. That alone wasn't a fantastic deal as it only brought them into line with the prices I could get elsewhere, but I also have an Entertainment Book. I got an email from that which gave $20 off an order > $100 on Woolworths online. I added 4 bottles to the cart and used the code to bring it from $120 to $100. I then paid for it using a gift card I bought through the Entertainment Book so that $100 gift card only cost me $95.

So I got a 700ml Jim Beam, Johnnie Walker, Gordons Gin and Bacardi for $23.75/bottle.

$128.89 is the cheapest you can currently get that according to Boozle.

Look it's not exactly "cheap" (not expensive either though) but for about $44 you can grab a bottle of Monkey Shoulder Scotch Whisky. It's easily the best scotch I've drank under $45 so while not premium by any stretch it shits on your standard Ballantynes, Red Label, Black Douglass etc. It's a nice scotch that shouldn't break the bank and is something different to what most will be used to drinking.

For Vodka go with Russian Standard Gold, about $39 at Dan Murphy's at the moment it varies depending on what's on special etc but for that price it's hard to find a smoother Vodka. If you're drinking it straight drink it chilled, straight out of the freezer shots of it go down quite nicely.

Look it's not exactly "cheap" (not expensive either though) but for about $44 you can grab a bottle of Monkey Shoulder Scotch Whisky. It's easily the best scotch I've drank under $45 so while not premium by any stretch it shits on your standard Ballantynes, Red Label, Black Douglass etc. It's a nice scotch that shouldn't break the bank and is something different to what most will be used to drinking.

Monkey Shoulder is great for an introductory whisky due to its vanilla tastes but it's terrible in cocktails, for the same reason. If you're a seasoned whisky drinker or you make a lot of whisky based cocktails you're better off getting a bottle of Glenfiddich for ~$60 IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Monkey Shoulder is great for an introductory whisky due to its vanilla tastes but it's terrible in cocktails, for the same reason. If you're a seasoned whisky drinker or you make a lot of whisky based cocktails you're better off getting a bottle of Glenfiddich for ~$60 IMO.
Yeh Glenfiddich is a good one, starting to get a bit pricier though, and personally if Im spending over $50 on a bottle im probably going to avoid using it with mixers if I can. Drinking neat or over ice theres no contest Id take the Glen.

Yeh Glenfiddich is a good one, starting to get a bit pricier though, and personally if Im spending over $50 on a bottle im probably going to avoid using it with mixers if I can. Drinking neat or over ice theres no contest Id take the Glen.
for about the same price you can get Canadian crown maple whiskey. Over rocks its great if you're after something a little different in the whiskey department.

Best way to build up your grog supplies is to throw a party, if your friends are true friends they will leave you whatever they don't drink.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back