Fantasy BFFFL 2014 - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually I will also keep Julian Edelman - he was picked in round 15 so I give up a round 14 pick I think.
some stupid idiot dropped him just before he fired up last year Grrrrr

Here's an idea:
In addition to three drafted keepers, each team can nominate 1 free agent pickup that they reserve the right to keep within the drafting process – a restricted free agent if you will. When that player is drafted by a different team, the previous owner has the opportunity to commit to taking them with their next pick, or forfeit the player.

This is basically the father-son rule you alluded to, but without the complications of doing it outside the draft.

I think there are bigger practical difficulties doing it in draft than out.

In draft you need both the drafter and the person with the rights on instantly, otherwise you can get the circumstance where the next person picks.

I think there are bigger practical difficulties doing it in draft than out.

In draft you need both the drafter and the person with the rights on instantly, otherwise you can get the circumstance where the next person picks.

You could just treat the decision or match the offer or not as another pick.

You could just treat the decision or match the offer or not as another pick.
Then what happens to the next pick? Does the person who chooses to match jump to that spot and then the guy who just picks picks again? What happens if he picks another RFA? Again? The guy after him is all of a sudden three draft slots lower which can change draft strategy pretty severely.

I would like to think a strength people want to have is one where they actually 'read' the draft as well. This makes it pretty difficult to do.

Then what happens to the next pick? Does the person who chooses to match jump to that spot and then the guy who just picks picks again? What happens if he picks another RFA? Again? The guy after him is all of a sudden three draft slots lower which can change draft strategy pretty severely.

I would like to think a strength people want to have is one where they actually 'read' the draft as well. This makes it pretty difficult to do.

It's just the father-son rule. If the rights owner decides to match, the player must be their next pick in the draft.

By "treat it as another pick" I meant give the rights owner a finite time to respond and if they don't you take it as a no.

It's just the father-son rule. If the rights owner decides to match, the player must be their next pick in the draft.
That's even worse...

It means a player that a person has chosen not to keep (Not allowed to keep) is attainable for potentially a huge chunk of lesser value still. 30 picks is huge in a 16 team keeper league.

The system has to involve them being decided upon as keepers pre-draft, not during.

But for now, we probably don't have the time to go through the process of formulating a compromise that everyone is happen with and approve it, so we'll just keep the 12th round rule.

We'll need to get this sorted out before next years draft, as the current system is flawed. But the new rule that is adopted next year will be applied retroactively to this years FA keepers, so fair warning.

That's even worse...

It means a player that a person has chosen not to keep (Not allowed to keep) is attainable for potentially a huge chunk of lesser value still. 30 picks is huge in a 16 team keeper league.

The system has to involve them being decided upon as keepers pre-draft, not during.

Feel free to come up with something that pleases all. It would be much appreciated.

My suggestion of 2013 output sans 3 rounds, laid out in standard draft outlay.

If they were a high scorer, they would be drafted relatively high, three extra rounds is a pretty sweet deal still.

If a middle of the road scorer, they would fall to the middle rounds where the value wouldn't be there to keep them without the upside.

Late round value, you get to keep the player who scored nothing for nothing and are praying for upside.

My suggestion of 2013 output sans 3 rounds, laid out in standard draft outlay.

If they were a high scorer, they would be drafted relatively high, three extra rounds is a pretty sweet deal still.

If a middle of the road scorer, they would fall to the middle rounds where the value wouldn't be there to keep them without the upside.

Late round value, you get to keep the player who scored nothing for nothing and are praying for upside.

I like it, and it's simple enough to work, but the trouble is having league members actually do the homework on this rather than just delegate it to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like it, and it's simple enough to work, but the trouble is having league members actually do the homework on this rather than just delegate it to me.
Just get the overall scorers and assign it 1-16 per round.

It's a bit flawed in regards to the fact that QBs would naturally end up higher due to position, but it's better than nothing.

I'm not available at the moment but will give it a bit of finessing when I get home.

I'm pretty knackered, but I should be available friday day to confirm who would fall where if they were kept as free agents.

Or are we rolling with the 12th rounder this year?

Yep. As above, we'll stay with the current (crappy) system for this year, but next year we'll get on top of it and implement something new. The status of this years FAs will be altered retroactively when a new rule is adopted, but FAs from all other years (i.e. pre-2013) will remain within the old system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back