Fantasy BFFFL 2014 - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

EagleOz BeinPurplenGreen arakaan matt_897 Southerntakeover two blue tiger Spirit Level balmainforever Dagless Oscarman sblack Cassius_Clay Latro drd23 arkie

Alright, I made an impromptu voting ballot for the division change. Will give y'all till Wednesday.

docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajvr2LbUdtvqdFhfMFN2cG1uUkp4OURnd2kwTFBLdFE#gid=17

Just for clarification
2 Conferences:

A change from the current 4 divisions of 4 teams each to 2 conferences of 8 teams each. This would give you a wider variety of who you play and means you don't play the same teams twice every year.

Reordered Divisions:
This would mean that the division structure is retained, but teams would be realigned. i.e. there would be a change in the teams you play twice each year, which would work to break some of the repetitiveness from year to year.

Status Quo:
Keep the current divisional alignment

Last edited:

I didn't voted but I'm cool with whatever.

I just don't get on this forum much anymore now that they only support Tapatalk for 'paid' members.
The new mobile site is vastly superior to its previous rendition FWIW.

I didn't even realise we were talking about the league build change for this season. I thought it was a prospective thing.

Massive problem with people voting to change the schedule after we've drafted. People who drafted s**t teams in divisions with good teams have a vested interest to try to avoid their tough games.

I didn't even realise we were talking about the league build change for this season. I thought it was a prospective thing.

Massive problem with people voting to change the schedule after we've drafted. People who drafted s**t teams in divisions with good teams have a vested interest to try to avoid their tough games.

That general principal is partially the motivation for change though, right. It sucks if you have a middle of the pack team, but the best team happens to be in your division, whom you have to play twice. Meanwhile, another team of similar quality may be in a weaker division, therefore gets more wins.

The division lines are drawn totally arbitrarily, so I'd prefer to have a league where teams of equal talent (and members of equal skill) have a similar chance of winning, as opposed to the former system, where the relative strength of the division you happen to placed in has a huge impact on your success.

I don't even think conferences are necessary to be honest. Conferences and divisions predominantly (and perhaps exclusively) exist in sports for economic reasons: less travel = less expenses; local rivalries = ticket sales and ratings; divisional playoffs seeds = greater league representation = revenue diversity etc. In fantasy, all these factors are irrelevant. Rather than a flawed system where, for example, the 38-44 Atlanta Hawks make the playoffs over the 48-34 Phoenix Suns simply because their conference is weaker, you simply want the best teams to be the best teams.

That general principal is partially the motivation for change though, right. It sucks if you have a middle of the pack team, but the best team happens to be in your division, whom you have to play twice. Meanwhile, another team of similar quality may be in a weaker division, therefore gets more wins.

The division lines are drawn totally arbitrarily, so I'd prefer to have a league where teams of equal talent (and members of equal skill) have a similar chance of winning, as opposed to the former system, where the relative strength of the division you happen to placed in has a huge impact on your success.

I don't even think conferences are necessary to be honest. Conferences and divisions predominantly (and perhaps exclusively) exist in sports for economic reasons: less travel = less expenses; local rivalries = ticket sales and ratings; divisional playoffs seeds = greater league representation = revenue diversity etc. In fantasy, all these factors are irrelevant. Rather than a flawed system where, for example, the 38-44 Atlanta Hawks make the playoffs over the 48-34 Phoenix Suns simply because their conference is weaker, you simply want the best teams to be the best teams.

I don't mind the logic in the long run, I understand why some people would favour a larger conference.

I do think its largely inappropriate to hold the vote after the draft though. Rules should not change once people have strategically invested for the year. It's a process issue.

But my team sucks this year, I have a vested interest in my division remaining small and shitty (possibly)

Maybe, but that doesn't really alter my point- if this the vote isn't held after the draft you're not in a position to know whether you personally benefit or not. Decisions should be wearing the 'veil of ignorance', though getting you to take it off afterwards has always been difficult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind the logic in the long run, I understand why some people would favour a larger conference.

I do think its largely inappropriate to hold the vote after the draft though. Rules should not change once people have strategically invested for the year. It's a process issue.

Do divisions really influence draft decisions though? You build the best team regardless. It's not like anyone really plans for matchups by picking players that have favourable schedules when you're playing certain teams in your division.

Maybe, but that doesn't really alter my point- if this the vote isn't held after the draft you're not in a position to know whether you personally benefit or not. Decisions should be wearing the 'veil of ignorance', though getting you to take it off afterwards has always been difficult.
I was being serious about my own team :(

Do divisions really influence draft decisions though? You build the best team regardless. It's not like anyone really plans for matchups by picking players that have favourable schedules when you're playing certain teams in your division.

I don't really want to give people a fantasy football tutorial, but in this league it should. Keeper/Dynasty teams require some amount of drafting to your opponents.

As an example- I identified that I have a dearth of long term keeper options. I've tried to address that (see Benjamin, West, Williams). I felt that it could maintain competitiveness and still do this because of the state of my division.

It's not really an issue of how we draft though, it's an issue of whether it impacts on the integrity of voting. People should have as little knowledge as possible about their position before they vote.

96 with Ebron to go. Foles was on like -9 in the first half, Doug Martin got a 0, and I woke up too late to take Shorts out. 49 on my bench.

Im sure my team will turn to s**t like usual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back