Sunbury
Melton
East Merging Dogs
Lake Wendouree
Melton South
Sebas

Henderson Medal - Hassent (Darley)
Tony Lockett Medal - Seaben (Darley)

Has Calvin Hassent sorted his Visa issues yet? Looking forward to seeing him debut.

Can anyone tell me if Colac played Nth City in a practice match and if so what was the result. Cheers

They did, Colac got up.

Anyone want to have a crack at tipping the rd1 results?
Ballarat vs Melton Sth
Lake Wendouree vs East Point
Melton vs Sebastopol
Redan vs North City
Sunbury vs Darley

Bacchus Marsh: bye

Last edited:

Will the standard of the BFL rise this year or be one of those years where it drops. Amazing to see how many ex bfl stars you could really call them have exited the league over the last 2 years, in saying that maybe it is an opportunity for a new generation of stars to take the league into the future. Will be a new look inter league side that's for sure.
On the season ahead, the same teams have played finals the last two years, who will dive, who will rise into the 6 this year? Everyone has improved according to all teams, except sunbury, however never right them off and end of the day it is always tough to replace sides in the 6 as the gap has been quite large the last few years. It looks like Jordan less east are the team that will offer sides outside the 6 hope to replace? Best side of the west: City best side of the east : Devils?

Will the standard of the BFL rise this year or be one of those years where it drops. Amazing to see how many ex bfl stars you could really call them have exited the league over the last 2 years, in saying that maybe it is an opportunity for a new generation of stars to take the league into the future. Will be a new look inter league side that's for sure.
On the season ahead, the same teams have played finals the last two years, who will dive, who will rise into the 6 this year? Everyone has improved according to all teams, except sunbury, however never right them off and end of the day it is always tough to replace sides in the 6 as the gap has been quite large the last few years. It looks like Jordan less east are the team that will offer sides outside the 6 hope to replace? Best side of the west: City best side of the east : Devils?

I heard that Jordan has had a slight change of heart and will play with East when his commitments with Essendon allow it, so how many games he plays and who he plays against will determine whether they make the finals I would have thought...

MDFL team looking for a ruckman and key defender (an exta midfielder wouldn't go astray either) for the upcoming season.

Our ruckman fell through at the last minute, and we have just had an injury to a key defender which has left us short.

We car pool from Ballarat, so travel is covered. Financial terms available to the right players.

Our season starts on Saturday 12th April.

So, if you are looking for a change, getting overlooked for seniors, being played out of position, or looking to earn a few $$ out of football, PM me and we can arrange a meeting.

MDFL team looking for a ruckman and key defender (an exta midfielder wouldn't go astray either) for the upcoming season.

Our ruckman fell through at the last minute, and we have just had an injury to a key defender which has left us short.

We car pool from Ballarat, so travel is covered. Financial terms available to the right players.

Our season starts on Saturday 12th April.

So, if you are looking for a change, getting overlooked for seniors, being played out of position, or looking to earn a few $$ out of football, PM me and we can arrange a meeting.

Hope it's not D.Jolly for the Lexton faithful's sake

Good to see Sunbury getting up at the weekend after an eventful offseason.
North were impressive against Redan.
Looks like Nth Ballarat are the team to beat again.Lakers and Melton looked to have improved but East Point must really be struggling

Good to see Sunbury getting up at the weekend after an eventful offseason.
North were impressive against Redan.

I think Sunbury had a few Under 18's in the one's this week looking at their side, in fact they had a couple of kids that are first year under 18's in the ones in Conn and Tarczon who did pretty well. I think it says a bit about the comp this year that they won as Darley are supposed to be thereabouts this year. I think you may as well hand the cup to North now!!

Very surprised by the darley v sunbury result. Considering Devils have recruited a few and sunba have lost 14 premiership players. Thought Darley would be a chance to go deep into September.

I think Sunbury had a few Under 18's in the one's this week looking at their side, in fact they had a couple of kids that are first year under 18's in the ones in Conn and Tarczon who did pretty well. I think it says a bit about the comp this year that they won as Darley are supposed to be thereabouts this year. I think you may as well hand the cup to North now!!
Way too soon to be annointing anyone premiers but North certainly sent a message.
Good to see Sunbury having faith in their younger fellas it can only help in the long run. Did Darley have many out or were the Lions just too good?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way too soon to be annointing anyone premiers but North certainly sent a message.
Good to see Sunbury having faith in their younger fellas it can only help in the long run. Did Darley have many out or were the Lions just too good?

Missing, Jackel,Nance, Stone, McGill, Jarrod Edwards, and played five under 18s. In saying that Sunbury were really good and beat them fair and square.

Good win by Bacchus Marsh on the weekend who look like becoming a very good side, despite lacking some defensive pressure. Darley right off at the moment.

Good win by Bacchus Marsh on the weekend who look like becoming a very good side, despite lacking some defensive pressure. Darley right off at the moment.

Was a good win by the Marsh who in years past would have wilted in the 4th quarter.

I think the standard of football was quite poor, a very scrappy game littered with basic skill errors and limited defensive pressure. Would be surprised if either team was relevant in the last couple of weeks in September unless their were some drastic improvements.

On the plus side for Bacchus Marsh I think Richardson showed why the club were so keen to get him. Worked hard all day and was a class above the rest of the players on the field, his addresses at the breaks showed he has a good understanding of football strategy at a realtively young age of 25. Ben Peters won the medal and worked hard all day and collected a lot of possessions. Declan Phyland was superb in the first half on Inglis and rebounded off half back with his left boot well, his impact lessened as the game went on but was still in top 5 players on the ground.

Negatives for Bacchus Marsh - Structural set ups were poor which led to a lot of easy clearances from stoppages and kick ins.Think a lot of the players are still making the same mistakes they were 3 years ago. Velden was running around like a headless chook in the forward line and impacting on the space of others, Coby Millar still can't kick, and almost cost them the game when he muffed a 15m kick backwards to ice the clock and missed the teammate by 10m, Charlton Butt still making poor decisions with the football and more often than not his possessions result in a turnover. Unless these guys can improve in these areas as well as others with similar issues this team will only be competitive against quality opposition and will not be able to really challenge league leaders.

Positives for Darley - Not too many from the day although Kennedy was outstanding and was the best player for both teams on the day. Has an elite workrate with good speed and is dangerous with ball in hand. Could be one of the top 5 midfielders in the comp by end of year. Ellis at CHF worked hard and was a real target in the forward line and took some really good contested grabs, had to work up the ground too far for my liking. Also had a few players out. Dare say if Jackel played the scoreline might have been different.

Negatives for Darley - Really offensive team with a real lack of effort to run defensively. Jake Edwards was down on his standards, and didn't get much help from his teammates to get him and his elite skills in the game. Richard Knight looked like he didn't want to be there, bit like Jack Watts on the weekend his intensity was low, would expect him to pick it up going forward though.

Good wrap up and pretty spot on. The Marsh looked the goods in the first quarter when it was all one way traffic, dropped off a bit when the pressure around the ball increased in the second quarter and the game slowed down. Think you hit the nail on the head with the young blokes they have been talking up the last few years. Many seemed to have plateaued in their development and it could be they are as good as they're going to get. I expect to see a lot drop off and look for opportunities at other clubs when the fresh crew of youngsters start pushing for selection and they attract a few more recruits.

I hate losing to Bacchus Marsh more than anything, however at least it brings some interest back to the local derby. It's about time they got their act together.

Its not a question of faith in the youngsters, they have no choice but to play them, their budget is significantly less than previous years, lucky for Rick, Sunbury always have a couple quality kids coming through...

Its not a question of faith in the youngsters, they have no choice but to play them, their budget is significantly less than previous years, lucky for Rick, Sunbury always have a couple quality kids coming through...
Maybe so but they could have easily signed senior players from elsewhere for well under what the departing players were on.

Maybe so but they could have easily signed senior players from elsewhere for well under what the departing players were on.

With what money??? The senior players who stayed aren't there for free, in fact they got a payrise to stay!!

That isn't what I have heard but in any event, you've successfully nitpicked my praise of Sunbury. They've surprised more than a couple of people with their performances.

You have your sources, I have mine...I'd say a drop in the standard of the league may also help them..

You have your sources, I have mine...I'd say a drop in the standard of the league may also help them..
Mate, I don't really care this thread has had enough crap about the departed Sunbury players & the drama surrounding it. I simply praised their young players doing well thus far. :thumbsu:
Moving on, with the announcement of the rep squad.. what are peoples thoughts?

Mate, I don't really care this thread has had enough crap about the departed Sunbury players & the drama surrounding it. I simply praised their young players doing well thus far. :thumbsu:
Moving on, with the announcement of the rep squad.. what are peoples thoughts?
Thought its a fantastic idea to include development players in the squad its only going to improve these young kids football down the track, not sure about including Mitch Conn in the main squad though only a 16 y.o kid big ask if he makes the side to come up against quality opposition in the GVFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back