BFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil Carmen from the 70's!!?? From Collingwood!? Excuse my ignorance - that adds some clarity to the Sebastopol story.
Yep. That's the bloke.

A mate of mine was talking to me about this yesterday. He sounded a little shocked.
He's a carlton fan.

He goal umpires and had sebas a couple of weeks ago and sebas were mauled.

Could see this happening since he was appointed back in November. I believe same thing happened last year when he was coaching a team in South Australia, returned to Bendigo with still a year remaining in a 2 year deal.

Did he have any idea what he had got himself into... Didnt bring any recruits except for his son, who was no star & lasted about 6 weeks. So he had nothing to work with & driving from Bendigo 3 times a week would be hell.

Next appointment is absolutely critical. MUST be a playing coach IMO. They need help big time.

Last edited:
Kovacevic stars as Lions roar into finals -
Can Sunbury have a major impact on finals?
they have proven they can match it with the top sides, just lost to Ballarat by 8 points earlier in the year throw Toman(who won Bendigo Golds best and fairest Saturday night) Sheahan and Mitch Conn (if released by the Calder Cannons) and they are not to be taken lightly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finals time.

Darley v Lakers - you'd think Darley on their home deck, couple of injuries at the wrong time though. Lakers have a few returning aswell.

Sunbury v Ballarat - alot think Sunbury in an upset with a few Bendigo Gold players back.

North v Redan - Boring, who cares. City already have cup engraved.

Can't you over qualify with vfl games come finals??

Or did the 2 players just have to play 3 games for sunbury then it didn't matter??

Good luck to all sides this weekend

Can't you over qualify with vfl games come finals??

Or did the 2 players just have to play 3 games for sunbury then it didn't matter??

Good luck to all sides this weekend
VFL games don't count as playing at a higher level, but I have a feeling TAC Cup games are classed as a higher level.

So Toman and Sheahan only had to play 3 games for Sunbury to qualify (one of the games they sat on the bench for half of the Sunbury reserves).

Should VFL games count as higher level? Or is 3 games at club level is too low? I think if you've played over 8 VFL senior games then you should be out of local finals.

North Ballarat VFL got knocked out of the finals today, I assume Chris Giampaolo will qualify for Redan but I think he'll be the only one who can go back to BFL finals.

I find the BFL Football finals system to be a bit convoluted - four weeks of final for a six team draw is just not necessary.

A better system would be:-

Week 1: 1st plays 2nd (double chance) - 3rd plays 6th (elimination) and 4th plays 5th (elimination)

Week 2: The winner of 1v2 from week 1 plays the lowest ranked remaining side (elimination) and the loser of 1v2 from week 1 plays the second lowest remaining side (elimination)

Week 3: the two winners from week 2 play in the grand final.

Under this system both the top 2 sides qualify for week 2 automatically (the double chance) and the remaining 4 teams fight for survival every week

Week 1 simply sorts out the opponents for week 2.

under the current system finishing 3rd actually has a better reward than finishing 2nd (difficulty of opposition in week 1)

with my proposed changes, the lower a team is on the ladder at the end of the home and away season the harder it is to make the grand final There is one less week of finals making it easier on all teams as far as player management goes

This may not seem like a perfect system but it sure seems better than the current one

I find the BFL Football finals system to be a bit convoluted - four weeks of final for a six team draw is just not necessary.

A better system would be:-

Week 1: 1st plays 2nd (double chance) - 3rd plays 6th (elimination) and 4th plays 5th (elimination)

Week 2: The winner of 1v2 from week 1 plays the lowest ranked remaining side (elimination) and the loser of 1v2 from week 1 plays the second lowest remaining side (elimination)

Week 3: the two winners from week 2 play in the grand final.

Under this system both the top 2 sides qualify for week 2 automatically (the double chance) and the remaining 4 teams fight for survival every week

Week 1 simply sorts out the opponents for week 2.

under the current system finishing 3rd actually has a better reward than finishing 2nd (difficulty of opposition in week 1)

with my proposed changes, the lower a team is on the ladder at the end of the home and away season the harder it is to make the grand final There is one less week of finals making it easier on all teams as far as player management goes

This may not seem like a perfect system but it sure seems better than the current one
No its not better.
Only 1 team each year plays 4 finals. The better side (2nd semi winner) plays 3 games, therefore gets an advantage, as they should.
If you want a solution, scrap the 6 and go to a traditional 5.

Or use the alternative top 6, which works as

Week 1
1st and 2nd week off
3 v 6 (elimination)
4 v 5 (elimination)

Week 2
1 v 2 (2nd semi, winner through to gf)
Winner 3 v 4 v winner 4 v 5

Week 3
Loser 2nd Semi v winner 1st semi (prelim)

Week 4
Winner 2nd semi v winner prelim

It's essentially the top 5 but 1 v 2 is equally weighted

No its not better.
Only 1 team each year plays 4 finals. The better side (2nd semi winner) plays 3 games, therefore gets an advantage, as they should.
If you want a solution, scrap the 6 and go to a traditional 5.

Actually, for the BFL, The Traditional 5 would be an even better solution.

Here's hoping that the Ballarat Football League guys aren't watching! You lot arguing about how the finals are worked out would make them feel uncomfortable. Especially those who are umpiring it. Just thought I'd warn you.

Here's hoping that the Ballarat Football League guys aren't watching! You lot arguing about how the finals are worked out would make them feel uncomfortable. Especially those who are umpiring it. Just thought I'd warn you.
Why would it make them uncomfortable, and what has it got to do with umpires.

Thanks for the warning in any case.

Why would it make them uncomfortable, and what has it got to do with umpires.

Thanks for the warning in any case.

Well, If they are watching, they mey get the hint....lol ;)

attended both finals games this weekend - Nth City made Ballarat look very second rate, Redan (with their makeshift back line) looked very good against Darley. Redan to get over Ballarat next week in what could be a very tight affair - but It's hard to see Nth City going down in the Grand Final.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back