Opinion Biased commentary of Geelong games

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the Ch 7 pre game show yesterday which was the 1990 QF WC vs C'wood( it was drawn) and noticed a Brian Taylor special. Taylors upper arm was chopped, a slight push in the back and a big dive forward. It was a free kick anyway but he did make it noticeable.

Watching the Ch 7 pre game show yesterday which was the 1990 QF WC vs C'wood( it was drawn) and noticed a Brian Taylor special. Taylors upper arm was chopped, a slight push in the back and a big dive forward. It was a free kick anyway but he did make it noticeable.
Ah but it was a different era! Pfft.

Well spotted.

It is extremely hard to see how Channel 7 is a functional business when the people in charge of it are happy for Taylor to commentate.
Taylor commentating generates a lot of discussion, which means Ch 7 is talked about. Just like a naughty kid chucking tantrums in the shopping centre. Nobody really wants to see it but they can't help themselves looking over at the source of all the noise.

*such a pity BT's mum doesn't turn up one evening, smack him on the bum and drag him home :D

It's such a pity that BT is so bad these days because he was fantastic when commentating on MMM with the rest of that crew.
Ego's got the better of him unfortunately. It's become more about him. And unfortunately Darcy and Ling pander to him appallingly. Richo bites back but it all feels pretty staged to me.

Ego's got the better of him unfortunately. It's become more about him. And unfortunately Darcy and Ling pander to him appallingly. Richo bites back but it all feels pretty staged to me.

I've said it before. It's nothing to do with football. The AFL and Channel 7 (they're more or less the same entity anyway) are making footy entertainment instead of sport. That's why the game isn't important to them.

It is extremely hard to see how Channel 7 is a functional business when the people in charge of it are happy for Taylor to commentate.
Who are they competing with in terms of AFL? They have the market cornered on FTA TV and so they can do whatever they like. Also, given what I have read about C7, they actually think they're doing a good job. Again, rightly or wrongly, this belief they have that their coverage is world class is another reason why things don't change. Too many people blowing smoke up their ass for them to be really objective about their own product it seems.

Taylor commentating generates a lot of discussion, which means Ch 7 is talked about. Just like a naughty kid chucking tantrums in the shopping centre. Nobody really wants to see it but they can't help themselves looking over at the source of all the noise.

*such a pity BT's mum doesn't turn up one evening, smack him on the bum and drag him home :D
She'd need a big hand

Who are they competing with in terms of AFL? They have the market cornered on FTA TV and so they can do whatever they like. Also, given what I have read about C7, they actually think they're doing a good job. Again, rightly or wrongly, this belief they have that their coverage is world class is another reason why things don't change. Too many people blowing smoke up their ass for them to be really objective about their own product it seems.
I wonder if they realise that probably half of people watching the game actually have the volume turned off? ;)
Yeah- I made that number up...

As a newbie to Foxtel, it made me think of the commentary offered by Ch7 -v- Foxtel - or TV -v- Radio. Must admit to being very pro-KROCK after the crap spewed by BT + co.

As the new season approaches, what improvements would you like to TV commentary + who would you like shot or poached from Radio to TV commentary?

In the process of buying a new TV + came across this handy feature, don't know how it's different from 'Mute' -

"Football Mania
Recreate the stadium thrill with wraparound sound

Football Mode uses acoustic data captured at a Brazilian football stadium to enhance your audio experience. It also has a Narration Off mode* that allows you to cut out the commentary so you can listen to the game as though you were actually there.

Football Mode"
http://www.sony.com.au/productcategory/hts-bd-home-theatre-system

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a newbie to Foxtel, it made me think of the commentary offered by Ch7 -v- Foxtel - or TV -v- Radio. Must admit to being very pro-KROCK after the crap spewed by BT + co.

As the new season approaches, what improvements would you like to TV commentary + who would you like shot or poached from Radio to TV commentary?

In the process of buying a new TV + came across this handy feature, don't know how it's different from 'Mute' -

"Football Mania

Football Mode uses acoustic data captured at a Brazilian football stadium to enhance your audio experience. It also has a Narration Off mode* that allows you to cut out the commentary so you can listen to the game as though you were actually there.

Football Mode"

That's sweet. If only, the channels could offer the experience, I.e crowd noise, as a second audio stream.

I'm still not that impressed with the commentary since Teddy left. He had lots of passion. BT and the likes are terrible in comparison.

The English football commentators are the gold standard. Understated, but still knowledgeable. Know when to crank it up

Our guys just seem to get worse every year. I guess a certain degree of insecurity/ competitiveness / hubris (?) drives them to try and cram more and more opinionated and superfluous waffle into their commentary. ( big Hellos to Bruce. BT,Dwayne etc)

Add to that zero analysis of tactics, formations or game style/plan.

The English football commentators are the gold standard. Understated, but still knowledgeable. Know when to crank it up

Our guys just seem to get worse every year. I guess a certain degree of insecurity/ competitiveness / hubris (?) drives them to try and cram more and more opinionated and superfluous waffle into their commentary. ( big Hellos to Bruce. BT,Dwayne etc)
Yep and the EPL games have 2 commentators.. sometimes even 1.

I think last year at one stage 7 actually had 7 commentators for a friday night game

Yep and the EPL games have 2 commentators.. sometimes even 1.

I think last year at one stage 7 actually had 7 commentators for a friday night game

And they all still got Bundy and Stokes mixed up….

muppets…

GO Catters

Yeah, they did. Between that and their silly "megawall", it was really confusing viewing.

And they all still got Bundy and Stokes mixed up….

muppets…

GO Catters
You'd reckon player recognition would be a basic pre-requisite for commentators, but hey, what do we know. ;)

I heard your buddies on K-Rock give you a mention during our game on Sunday-something to do with coming up with a name for Tim McGrath's twitter account.

(was good to hear McGrath back on radio btw. I believe that although he isn't in the clear, his melanoma hasn't gotten worse. He sounded in good spirits :thumbsu:)

The megawall was a truly unnecessary bells and whistles introduction for sure.....:eek:
megawall.jpg

Ch 7 keep showing there viewers how good C Brown is at everything outside footy (I'm assuming because he's a washed up hack / snipper). I hope to God he doesn't become a commentator. I would never watch a game he calls. Ditto Dermie.
Channel 7 vfl commentary team for 2015 just announced....

"Host Jason Bennett and VFL star Nigel Carmody will lead the call, with AFL premiership player Campbell Brown in expert commentary."
http://nelbie.com/kevmarl/2015/3/4/seven-announces-its-new-vfl-commentary-team

Yeah, they did. Between that and their silly "megawall", it was really confusing viewing.

You'd reckon player recognition would be a basic pre-requisite for commentators, but hey, what do we know. ;)

I heard your buddies on K-Rock give you a mention during our game on Sunday-something to do with coming up with a name for Tim McGrath's twitter account.

(was good to hear McGrath back on radio btw. I believe that although he isn't in the clear, his melanoma hasn't gotten worse. He sounded in good spirits :thumbsu:)

They were after a twitter handle for Bluey…

I offered @sweatybumcrack - his favourite line and @puncheswithbothfists as he is always talking about defenders need to punch with both sides of their body. :cool:

GO Catters

"Football Mania

Football Mode"
I think a commentary crew made up of Anthony Hudson, Gerard Whaetely as the main callers Bluey McGrath and Cameron Ling as special comments and Cameron Mooney and Billy Brownless doing the boundary riding would be pretty good and offer a unbiased factual call

Remove this Banner Ad

Back