Bickley to 5AA

Remove this Banner Ad

If Roo and Tredders got together for a sports show it would be the best show by far. They have a good chemistry when they commentate together and are two of the few people in the Adelaide media who have an actual link to each club. So wont have to make up bullshit like Jars, Rowie et el.

I agree, I like Tredders more than Roo.
He is astute and not as green as he is cabbage looking; and has a good voice. Roos balls haven't dropped yet.

Seems like there is a bit of fall out from Fiveaa as Wildy and Bone were good mates so they maybe looking for another caller next year.

I still think Bone will end up at Triple M

Seems like there is a bit of fall out from Fiveaa as Wildy and Bone were good mates so they maybe looking for another caller next year.

That would be a pity as I like listening to wildy.

Gather that means they need to find someone else to join Phillips for the summer season.

If bone wasn't so bitter, he may of had a decent approval rating...

Talking about Kane on 5AA. Did any of you hear that bit of an argument between Kane and Rucci, on Saturday morning?
No, what happened? Inferred Kane & primus had an exchange at the premiership catchup?

Talking about Kane on 5AA. Did any of you hear that bit of an argument between Kane and Rucci, on Saturday morning?
I was listening for a while, and there seemed to be an argument between Kymbo and Kane regarding not watching one of Graham Cornes' games back in the 70's. I gathered there was also some discussion about the game being better now, from Kane's point of view. Kane said he couldn't sit and watch a game from back then all the way through.

What's this about Wildy? Has someone heard that he won't be continuing at 5AA? I'd hate it if that was true, he's one of my favourite commentators and hosts.

No, what happened? Inferred Kane & primus had an exchange at the premiership catchup?
I didn't hear all of it but apparently there was some difference of opinion on what was better football, the game that was played 10-20 years ago, against what is played today.
Apparently Rucci said that the game was much better then and Kane told him that he (Rucci) did not know what he (Rucci) was talking about.
A few callers got into the act and Kane got vary fiery about it. Even with the callers. He Justly reminded them that he was playing the game 10-12 years ago, and he knew what he was talking about.
I nearly rang in to asked them if they rather watch a game played the same way it was played 10-30 years ago, (i.e.) SANFL today, against an AFL game played today.

Hard to compare eras as more personal opinion than fact as to which was better.
Rucci (and others)pointed out that there are too many stoppages these days. That everybody is chasing the ball and areas get congested with too many players. Kane is of the opinion that there are less stoppages now than ever. Now days a player has to move the ball a lot faster than it was required in the old days because the opposition closes in so fast that one has no time to old on to it.
Rucci also recanted a big SANFL final game back in the 80s. He was saying that it was such a spectacle that he will always remember. Apparently it had to do with Port Adelaide magpies, so Kane told Rucci that maybe he remembered it so nostalgically because he was biased, i.e. being a port supporter.

Rucci (and others)pointed out that there are too many stoppages these days. That everybody is chasing the ball and areas get congested with too many players. Kane is of the opinion that there are less stoppages now than ever. Now days a player has to move the ball a lot faster than it was required in the old days because the opposition closes in so fast that one has no time to old on to it.
Rucci also recanted a big SANFL final game back in the 80s. He was saying that it was such a spectacle that he will always remember. Apparently it had to do with Port Adelaide magpies, so Kane told Rucci that maybe he remembered it so nostalgically because he was biased, i.e. being a port supporter.
Different games in different eras & no right answer.

Ball movement quicker now as players fitter in a fully professional environment.

More players around the ball can lead to more congestion.

Still physical but rare big hits with the mrp & video & change of rules.

Less characters in the game which is sad. Most press conferences sanitised due to media training. Hoping Phil will tell us at least in part what he really thinks.

^^^ Your right Kane, there is no right answer for the reasons that you put, including new strategies adopted.
I would still like to say I have a soft spot for the late eighties and early nineties from an SA footy point of view. We had dominance over VIC in state of Origin and so many great SA players were highlighted on the VFL/AFL stage.

Different games in different eras & no right answer.

Ball movement quicker now as players fitter in a fully professional environment.

More players around the ball can lead to more congestion.

Still physical but rare big hits with the mrp & video & change of rules.

Less characters in the game which is sad. Most press conferences sanitised due to media training. Hoping Phil will tell us at least in part what he really thinks.
I'm not an expert because I never followed AF before the crows were formed. I used to be a soccer player. I do like footy the way it is these days though. I do argue with my wife about it. She thinks that afl is becoming more like rugby everyday. I don't mind the scrimmages so much. I like to see how the players and coaches work out on how to get the ball out and, perhaps, score from it. I do get mad at the crows when I see two or three of them go at the single opposition that has the ball, leaving no receiver. It is as if no one trusts the other to win the ball from the opposition, so they go in to help.
We seem to do this so often that it annoys me.
As far as physicality is concerned, I tend to disagree with you on this. Of the little that I have seen of the old style, I can see that there were more sniper acts in the past. There were more shirt fronts in the past, but at the speed that the players go for the ball these days, they don't need to line anybody up to jar each other during a collision and cause a lot of pain. In the old days there may have been a designated enforcer or two per club. These days every layer is expected to go in hard. The vanilla or soft players are rare these days. That is my opinion only.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Kane Cornes. Although on first impressions he comes across as white bread, dig down and there's a few raisins.

He's certainly got his old man's stubbornness about always being right and he's not afraid to have an opinion that's contrary. It's just when that becomes a schtick like it did with Graham when it becomes a problem. Hopefully Kand can avoid becoming a caricature figure of ridicule like his dad has.

I was talking to Wildy at the Blewett foundation dinner at Adelaide oval last year about Bone still having a chip on his shoulder. He totally agreed.

Todays Sunday Mail article by Bone shows him to be truly malevolent against the AFC. Why the malice?
The crows listeners just voted him off 5aa - the final straw that broke the camel's back (bone)...

In that case Kane is a complete dill and unfortunately Roach was right.
There are literally twice as many stoppages now as there were in 1987.
I just looked up a stats site.
In 1987 there were 42 ruck contests per game on average. In 2014 there were 82.
Surprised nobody pulled him up on this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back