Big Bash expansion plans

Remove this Banner Ad

crowd at the scg was so sparse last night. perth and adelaide seem to rock up in numbers no matter what

i think renegades to geelong and a sydney team to canberra

Tournament lost a lot of momentum by inexplicably stringing the last section of it our so much. Get it over and done with quicker - utilise the Sunday double headers again like Fox did. Completely understand the need for it not to be played on the same day as our ODI's but there have been plenty of days in between ODI's where there was no cricket.

Other than Mondays, there were games each day other than when ODIs on. The problem was that the international T20s were awkwardly placed before the finals, costing momentum. They really should come after the finals - the progression would feel much better.

get back to state teams and not these franchises (does anyone actually own the "franchises"?)

i thought the big bash league was a shithouse name, then i read the sth african t20 comp is called the ram slam t20 challenge.

Like most, I much preferred it when there was state teams, but for a made for TV event you probably need more than six sides.

All countries seem to be going down the silly name route - England are calling theirs the 'T20 Blast' now.

At junior training I counted 6 Stars Shirts and 1 Renegades - that was from a sample size of about 24 kids, it's a fair representation of where loyalties lie and despite being in the Western District less than an hour from Aaron Finch's home town - the Stars shine brighter than the Renegades. A big opportunity was lost when they elected to base the Renegades at Etihad IMO, Skilled would have been ideal and would have ensured a strong fan base from all areas west of Geelong.

It's a bit late to turn back now and one game will not change people's loyalties. Many Stars fans just assumed they would be in the final and it would be at the MCG - cricket is a funny game.

At junior training I counted 6 Stars Shirts and 1 Renegades - that was from a sample size of about 24 kids, it's a fair representation of where loyalties lie and despite being in the Western District less than an hour from Aaron Finch's home town - the Stars shine brighter than the Renegades. A big opportunity was lost when they elected to base the Renegades at Etihad IMO, Skilled would have been ideal and would have ensured a strong fan base from all areas west of Geelong.

It's a bit late to turn back now and one game will not change people's loyalties. Many Stars fans just assumed they would be in the final and it would be at the MCG - cricket is a funny game.

you know with merchandise you can always find cheap versions in "cheaper" stores. for example, AFL guernseys in the afl store vs kmart.

i reckon with BBL shirts they'd all be teh same, vic market quality.

I honestly thought that having one massive Melbourne team would have been the way to go. Would have had the potential to be one of the biggest sport teams in Australia and looked great for CA.

Just look at how well the Scorchers and the Strikers have done in gaining support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly thought that having one massive Melbourne team would have been the way to go. Would have had the potential to be one of the biggest sport teams in Australia and looked great for CA.

Just look at how well the Scorchers and the Strikers have done in gaining support.

If that was the case why didn't we leave it the way it was - no it had to be "franchise" mix and match - ra ra ra. I enjoy watching the big bash - but by drawing it out it definately jumped the shark so to speak.

If that was the case why didn't we leave it the way it was - no it had to be "franchise" mix and match - ra ra ra. I enjoy watching the big bash - but by drawing it out it definately jumped the shark so to speak.

I have no idea. If they spent half the money promoting a 10 match round robin BBL with the 6 state teams they would have had the same success in my opinion.

I assume they wanted twice as many matches in Melbourne and Sydney

I have no idea. If they spent half the money promoting a 10 match round robin BBL with the 6 state teams they would have had the same success in my opinion.

That's pretty much the only reason. 2 Melbourne and Sydney teams means they have a game in Melbourne and Sydney every week.

That was my belief about the Renegades originally, but this season suggests to me that the Renegades are probably fine where they are. Taking out the derbies, and they're probably only 4 or 5 thousand people behind in crowds at a non traditional cricket stadium. Etihad has been pretty decent for cricket as well. Might be an option to play 1 game a season at Skilled to try and build that supporter base a bit.

Next season will be interesting for he Thunder since they can't play at Stadium for part of the season. If where they go is successful, they may move away from Stadium Australia all together.

The players assoication would have been pushing for it as well, franchises mean more money for individual players instead of just tie-ins with the state.

I know my comments below will not go down well with Cricket traditonalists, but so be it.

First, moving to city based teams has been very much a success. After the success of this season, there's absolutely no chance of state teams returning in the t20 format. The derbis draw great crowds, especially in Melbourne, and I am sure when we have two teams playing well in Sydney there'll be huge crowds there also.

I think those on here wishing for a shorter BBL are going to be very disappointed. After this season I suspect Ten will be pushing for more and will probably get it.

I think the day needs to come when, as rumoured last year, the start of the shield season moves to August. That way, it can be done and dusted by early December. Australia's domestic test are concluded by early January anyway, so I do not see an issue with this. This would leave the rest of the Summer for a mix of the BBL and short form internationals.

Big Bash should go to ten teams, with everyone playing each other twice. No issues with double headers on weekends.

I haven't settled on where I think the two extra teams should come from-I've narrowed it to Geelong, Canberra, New Castle and the Gold Coast.

*waits for the backlash*

I know my comments below will not go down well with Cricket traditonalists, but so be it.

First, moving to city based teams has been very much a success. After the success of this season, there's absolutely no chance of state teams returning in the t20 format. The derbis draw great crowds, especially in Melbourne, and I am sure when we have two teams playing well in Sydney there'll be huge crowds there also.

I think those on here wishing for a shorter BBL are going to be very disappointed. After this season I suspect Ten will be pushing for more and will probably get it.

I think the day needs to come when, as rumoured last year, the start of the shield season moves to August. That way, it can be done and dusted by early December. Australia's domestic test are concluded by early January anyway, so I do not see an issue with this. This would leave the rest of the Summer for a mix of the BBL and short form internationals.

Big Bash should go to ten teams, with everyone playing each other twice. No issues with double headers on weekends.

I haven't settled on where I think the two extra teams should come from-I've narrowed it to Geelong, Canberra, New Castle and the Gold Coast.

*waits for the backlash*
That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read. The Shield won't start in August. Why? Because 5/6 of the Shield venues are used by the AFL. No MCG, AO, SCG or Gabba at the very least for the first 2 months of the season? Not going to happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back