Big Bash League: Match 29 - Sydney Thunder (2-3-1) vs. Melbourne Stars (3-3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Law 32, 3e states: (it's a fair catch if) a fielder catches the ball after it has crossed the boundary in the air, provided that after being struck by the bat, the first contact with the ball is by a fielder, not touching or grounded beyond the boundary, who has some part of his person grounded within the boundary or whose final contact with the ground before touching the ball was entirely within the boundary. - See more at: http://www.bigbash.com.au/news-and-...s-controversial-decision#sthash.zHoRlqFr.dpuf

So right call made in the end.

Wasn't his final contact with the ground before touching the ball again over the boundary?

Wasn't his final contact with the ground before touching the ball again over the boundary?
That law doesnt address what happened at all. By that logic you can jump in the air throwing it to yourself multiple times over the boundary providing you first touched it inside the rope initially.

The rule seems to consider all his actions to be part of one 'catch', so once he has made initial legal contact with the ball (i.e. when grounded inside the rope or when his last ground contact was inside the rope), he is then free to run around and handle the ball wherever, so long as he never grounds himself with the ball when he is outside the rope.

In short:

- the first bite of the cherry must be taken from inside the boundary (grounded or last contact)
- the second/third/fourth bites can then be taken from inside (grounded or last contact) or from outside (last contact only)

Maxwell said he was 'happy to be proven wrong' and that he looks forward to taking advantage of the new laws.

His comeback is pretty poor IMO. He smothered his Twitter account with a procession of tweets (from himself and others) last night all blasting the decision - trying to suggest that he and his followers were definitively right. When it turns out they didn't know the rules at all.

(Quite what it says about a professional cricketer not knowing all the rules is an interesting point, of course, in itself.)

To follow up, once it's shown he was totally wrong, with stuff like "it's a poor rule change" doesn't do him a lot of credit in my view. He should have been a lot more contrite.

I haven't seen or heard anything from White yet, either? He has clearly been using his Twitter account today but hasn't put anything at all on it about this issue, by the look of things.

His comeback is pretty poor IMO. He smothered his Twitter account with a procession of tweets (from himself and others) last night all blasting the decision - trying to suggest that he and his followers were definitively right. When it turns out they didn't know the rules at all.

(Quite what it says about a professional cricketer not knowing all the rules is an interesting point, of course, in itself.)

To follow up, once it's shown he was totally wrong, with stuff like "it's a poor rule change" doesn't do him a lot of credit in my view. He should have been a lot more contrite.

I haven't seen or heard anything from White yet, either? Hasn't put anything at all on his Twitter account, by the look of it.
This is the problem I had. Being one of our international cricketers, he shouldn't be saying what rule changes are poor or not. It's not up to him, he should just go out and play within those rules. No questions asked.

I haven't seen or heard anything from White yet, either? He has clearly been using his Twitter account today but hasn't put anything at all on it about this issue, by the look of things.
I think you will find there would be a number of professional cricketers who are not au fait with all the rules of the game/competition, much like there would be plenty of AFL players who are not totally across all the AFL rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you will find there would be a number of professional cricketers who are not au fait with all the rules of the game/competition, much like there would be plenty of AFL players who are not totally across all the AFL rules.
Reminder.

Yes. Even Quarterbacks don't know all the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back