Big Cox & the infamous 2006 end of season trip

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day these footy stars are normal blokes. Alcohol and drugs will be a factor in most lives, whether they take part in it or will be surrounded by it in some way

I'm sure my opinion will be unpopular but, after a long grueling season of training I don't have a problem with it. As long as nobody gets hurt, have some fun, just keep it within reason. I'm certain there would be a lot of "illegal activity" done at most end of year trips and I'm certain players in the 80's and 90's would've got up to a hell of a lot of mischief, they just didn't have reporters down there necks 24/7 like they do these days

At the end of the day these footy stars are normal blokes. Alcohol and drugs will be a factor in most lives, whether they take part in it or will be surrounded by it in some way

I'm sure my opinion will be unpopular but, after a long grueling season of training I don't have a problem with it. As long as nobody gets hurt, have some fun, just keep it within reason. I'm certain there would be a lot of "illegal activity" done at most end of year trips and I'm certain players in the 80's and 90's would've got up to a hell of a lot of mischief, they just didn't have reporters down there necks 24/7 like they do these days

The fact is in this case though it almost cost one of the players his life

I'd love Chicky or cousins to write a book, neither have anything to lose and it could be all inclusive. I did spend some time with Daniel recently where he works over seas and he is getting his life back together, unlike cuz unfortunately.

I'd love Chicky or cousins to write a book, neither have anything to lose and it could be all inclusive. I did spend some time with Daniel recently where he works over seas and he is getting his life back together, unlike cuz unfortunately.

Cuz has pretty sure it's called "Such is Life"

Coxy alluded to a few too many vodkas being the reason Fletcher flatlined.

The fact Ken Judge told Nisbitt & co about the drug issues with Cuz & Gardiner in the early 2000s yet Woosha was "shocked to be sitting here" when the Cuz stuff really went crazy says all you need to know.

Everyone in Perth knew.

But I'd also add that every club in the comp would have 30 odd guys hitting the gear at some point, just at WCE they had Cuz who was addicted which doesn't mean they're the only users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The proof may well be in the pudding when the invites for the 2016 ten year reunion are posted.
I am waging Cousins will receive one.
Not so sure on a couple of others.

The fact Ken Judge told Nisbitt & co about the drug issues with Cuz & Gardiner in the early 2000s yet Woosha was "shocked to be sitting here" when the Cuz stuff really went crazy says all you need to know.

Everyone in Perth knew.

But I'd also add that every club in the comp would have 30 odd guys hitting the gear at some point, just at WCE they had Cuz who was addicted which doesn't mean they're the only users.

Ken Judge's biggest mistake was going to the board about the drugs issue.
If you listen to ABC Sports Talk on any given Saturday morning in WA and the name Tim Gepp is mentioned, you can feel Judges utter disregard for the man through the radio 1600km away.
Tim Gepp was the Eagles PIC during that ill fated 2006 players trip.

His feelings towards Nisbett seem to mirror the above.

Still remember being told a few years back that Josh Fraser and I think Andy Maher, were on holidays and bumped into a couple of Eagle blokes and were invited back to the room.

They walk in and couldn't believe their eyes with the state of a couple of players and walked straight out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The proof may well be in the pudding when the invites for the 2016 ten year reunion are posted.
I am waging Cousins will receive one.
Not so sure on a couple of others.

Hi, who specifically are you alluding to? As far as I know, most of the guys who had bust-ups are ok now, or at least can be civil enough for an important function. Private message even?

Everyone in Perth knew.

Yep every club would have players on the gear easily. My mates got photos on his phone of two young Gold Coast jets snorting lines in a hotel room, and supposedly Dusty used to get on it very regularly. Was at a Box Hill hawks function earlier in the year and players were coming out of the toilets in routine sets, either group pissing or getting onna.

That's how Woosh is though. When he was asked about his opinions on the booing of Watson last year, his reply was 'what booing?'

Cox alluding to vodka as a potential cause seems very naive.

Unless the group partaking in taking illicit substances were very open about it with the rest of the group, Cox may have not seen anything. Not to say he didn't know what they were doing, but I'm sure the guys doing it would so in private and not in full view of the guys that didn't want to do it.

Everyone in Perth knew.

Where have I heard a similar line used recently('ish)?!

The key line is later in the excerpt where Coxy mentions that there were plenty of people wanting to buy him a beer and sit and talk s**t with an Eagle, that there were plenty of girls available for the single boys, and even the local bottle shop was very very accommodating.

Those early to mid 2000's the Eagles playing group had the run of Perth, whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted, and all covered up for them. Unfortunately enough of them took it to far.

Plenty of stories going round of seeing Eagles players off their faces out at clubs, had mates that gave Cousins $50 for a taxi to get home as he was out the front of a club with no shirt and no wallet off his chops.

Disappointing really, because 2007 i reckon we could have given Geelong all they could have handled if not for the meltdowns and injury big that hit us that year.

Cox alluding to vodka as a potential cause seems very naive.

Unless the group partaking in taking illicit substances were very open about it with the rest of the group, Cox may have not seen anything. Not to say he didn't know what they were doing, but I'm sure the guys doing it would so in private and not in full view of the guys that didn't want to do it.
There are too many stories out there to suggest otherwise.
Where there is smoke there is fire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back