Big Footy Phantom Draft 2014 - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 87 Fremantle - Cory Gregson
175cm, 72kg midfielder/forward from Glenelg, South Australia

This was a pretty easy pick, he's been on my list since the second round. He should go somewhere in the 30-60 range on draft day, so BigFooty really needs to catch up on Gregson. I like him as a versatile small midfielder similar to Lachie Neale from Fremantle. But I've also heard him compared to Ben Kennedy from Collingwood, only with a better midfield game.

Pick #88 - Hawthorn: Josh Deluca

He's a pretty creative and skilled left footer whose kicking is a real strength to his game. He's also pretty well developed with his frame well built up already which shows in his game with his strength and one on one work very good. He does come across as potentially an early peaker but that's still a big unknown at this stage. When fit has played 6 WAFL games averaging 11.9 touches and just over 2 shots on goal a game. If he wants to rise up the draft ladder he's going to want to play (and look good while doing) some more midfield minutes though.

Last edited:
Pick 87 Fremantle - Cory Gregson
175cm, 72kg midfielder/forward from Glenelg, South Australia

This was a pretty easy pick, he's been on my list since the second round. He should go somewhere in the 30-60 range on draft day, so BigFooty really needs to catch up on Gregson. I like him as a versatile small midfielder similar to Lachie Neale from Fremantle. But I've also heard him compared to Ben Kennedy from Collingwood, only with a better midfield game.

I agree with you on him. He has a few tricks and I suspect wasnt on people radar as much bc you have to really watch him. Its his work in close for mine that stands out. Good late selection. I reckon there is a cluster of the top 8 or so who pick themselves. I reckon the next 10-15 are a block and then I think its really wide open. I wouldnt mind betting there aint many picks this year so he could well be at back end or a rookie but Id be staggered if doesnt go. Whats form been since Champs....I havent caught up on him.

Cavka is an interesting one for me. Gets a bit of the ball, just turns it over a bit too much for my liking.
Bit like Castagna from the Knights.

Pick 89 in the draft, my god I will accept his kicking issues for a guy with all his other attributes.

I have to watch Cavka again, but his kicking did not make me think he is not worth a selection with all his other attributes.

Snoop Dog I'll get my 'rookie' selections to you shortly. How many do you need again?

Actually been a long week and a bit keeping this thing rolling so in fact was going to suggest we just post the 5-10 that you thought were the unlucky ones into this thread and then we can discuss etc and keep it rolling.

Some of the names sent through already who seemingly were a bit unlucky were;

Danny Butler
Kade Answearth
Oscar McDonald
Daniel Nielson
Errin Wasley-Black
Alex Urban
Dylon Winton
Brenton Payne
Jermaine Lewis-Miller
Rowan Marshall
Abraham Ankers
Mac Bower - Norwood / 190cm / 80 kg
Sam Switkowski - Northern Knights/ 177 cm / 66 kg
Teia Miles - 179cm/68kg/Geelong Falcons
Joe Maishman - 179cm/73kg/Geelong Falcons
Matthew Goodyear - 185cm/77kg/Calder Cannons
Ryan Tester - 198cm/83kg/Northern Knights
Billy Frampton - 199cm/85kg/South Freo

Adelaide - Thunderstruck
Brisbane - Quigley
Carlton - HBF
Collingwood - Knightmare
Essendon - Yoda_
Fremantle - Chris25
Geelong - LemmingMaster
Gold Coast - Offsider
GWS - Snoop Dog
Hawthorn - Skippos
Melbourne - Monocle
North Melbourne - Snoop Dog (doubling up)
Port Power - Lavan Ruban
Richmond - Gee Dub
St Kilda - Rahul
Sydney - beowulf
WCE - swannies
Western Bulldogs - Dannnnnnnnnn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually been a long week and a bit keeping this thing rolling so in fact was going to suggest we just post the 5-10 that you thought were the unlucky ones into this thread and then we can discuss etc and keep it rolling.

Some of the names sent through already who seemingly were a bit unlucky were
Haha, my bad - sent mine through just after you posted this.

List was in no particular order and just numbered for convenience. Mostly off the top of my head so missed a few obvious ones.
  1. Jesse Watchman
  2. Nathan Drummond
  3. Oscar McDonald
  4. Daniel Butler
  5. Dan Nielson
  6. Liam Griffiths
  7. Isaiah Miller
  8. Joe Maishman
  9. Adam Creeper
  10. Josh Hone
  11. Mac Bower
  12. Brenton Payne
  13. Josh McGuinness
  14. Dwayne Wilson
  15. Darcy Cameron
  16. Marc Pittonet
  17. Bradley Coulson
  18. Darcy Hourigan
  19. Dwayne Wilson
  20. Hugh Beasley

GWS Giants Selections - Summary

# 4 Peter Wright - Was hoping for Petracca to fall but he is a genuine #1-2 selection so that was probably unreasonable. Thought long and hard about Durdin as we need key defenders but Wright could literally be anything and as a ruck prospect alone he as worth the pick.

# 22 Liam Duggan - Where I missed on Petracca I got real lucky on this kid I thought. I have him 10 or so spots higher on my current list and he is exactly what Giants need. Ball distributors off HB was half the reason they went after Shaw and Hunt. I also think they would like Hampton further up the ground in time so Duggan is a perfect ball distributor for them. Was between he and Gartlett.

# 40 James Rose - I was super impressed with this kid and given think the draft after 25 or so is a bit of a lottery went with Rose because I think he has some genuine AFL attributes. Also fits a gaping hole that Petracca would have been useful for and Jed Lamb hasnt filled. A smart HF who has a few tricks. Devon Smith is good but he is a work horse. They need some class and Rose ticks a few of those boxes. Was hoping for Gartlett but went the pick before.

# 58 Daniel Capiron - I was looking at him from pick 22 and he was one in the draft I was keen to see where he fell to. I typically do that with kids I think I have potentially over rated and he seemingly is one. I am really drawn by his games sense and clean handling, he is good under pressure when back and a bit of scope fwd. Touch of class for mine. Lovely kick to. Menadue was a thought here.

# 76 Jake Owen - Well I am just a massive fan. Was told to watch out for this kid a few years ago and have been following since. Be staggered if not picked up and he could walk into a few sides and potentially play midfield as well. Was between he Johnstone and Ryan Lim.

These were the fellas left on my list

Francis Watson, Jake Maher, Tom Wilkinson, Nick Jackson, Josh McGuinness, Brenton Payne, Jonh Hone, Jaden McGrath, Aidan Creeper, Brad Walsh, Max Bower, Dan Butcler, Jesse Watchman, Teia Miles, Harrison Court, Zane Kirkwood, Jermaine Miller-Lewis, Billy Frampton, Nathan Drummond, Dylan Winton, Matt Goodyear, Marc Pittonet, Clayton Giblett, Darcy Cameron-Reeves, Warrick Wilson, Logan Austin & Brad Coulson

Best of the rest: (next 20 on my extended draft board)
Oscar McDonald (VIC - KPD)
Daniel Butler (VIC - Util)
Josh McGuiness (Tas - Def)
Taylor Grace (VIC - Mid/Def)
Sam Tagliabue (VIC - Ruck)
David Mirra (VIC - Def)
Francis Watson (WA - Def/Fwd)
Jesse Watchman (SA - KPF)
Nick Jackson (QLD - KPD)
Caleb Hislop (Tas - Mid)
Tim Jones (Tas - Mid)
Bradley Walsh (WA - Mid)
Brenton Payne (VIC - Fwd)
Erin Wasley-Black (NT - Def)
Connor McLean (SA - KPD/Def)
Jaden McGrath (VIC - Fwd/Mid)
Alex Urban (VIC - Mid)
Nick Amato (SA - Mid)
Matthew Panos (SA - Mid/KPF)
Zach Ballard (VIC - Mid)

Some of the names I was considering:

Errin Wasley-Black
Alex Urban
Dylon Winton
Abraham Ankers
Mac Bower
Brad Walsh
Matthew Goodyear
Jesse Watchman
Tom Wilkinson
Chris Cain
Johann Wagner
Sam Tagliabue
Nic Newman
Shannon Taylor
Ahmed Saad
Darcy Hourigan

Some of the names sent through already who seemingly were a bit unlucky were;

Danny Butler
Kade Answearth
Oscar McDonald
Daniel Nielson
Errin Wasley-Black
Alex Urban
Dylon Winton
Brenton Payne
Jermaine Lewis-Miller
Rowan Marshall
Abraham Ankers
Mac Bower - Norwood / 190cm / 80 kg
Sam Switkowski - Northern Knights/ 177 cm / 66 kg
Teia Miles - 179cm/68kg/Geelong Falcons
Joe Maishman - 179cm/73kg/Geelong Falcons
Matthew Goodyear - 185cm/77kg/Calder Cannons
Ryan Tester - 198cm/83kg/Northern Knights
Billy Frampton - 199cm/85kg/South Freo

Adelaide - Thunderstruck
Brisbane - Quigley
Carlton - HBF
Collingwood - Knightmare
Essendon - Yoda_
Fremantle - Chris25
Geelong - LemmingMaster
Gold Coast - Offsider
GWS - Snoop Dog
Hawthorn - Skippos
Melbourne - Monocle
North Melbourne - Snoop Dog (doubling up)
Port Power - Lavan Ruban
Richmond - Gee Dub
St Kilda - Rahul
Sydney - beowulf
WCE - swannies
Western Bulldogs - Dannnnnnnnnn
What do you think of Kade Answerth.

What do you think of Kade Answerth.

he has gone pretty well and have seen a bit of him (incl last year) but havent caught up with him post champs so probably dont know enough. he loves getting the pill and I cant recollect seeing him on the combine lists for national or state so I might check that. I'd be surprised if he wasnt.

Best of the rest: (next 20 on my extended draft board)
Oscar McDonald (VIC - KPD)
Daniel Butler (VIC - Util)
Josh McGuiness (Tas - Def)
Taylor Grace (VIC - Mid/Def)
Sam Tagliabue (VIC - Ruck)
David Mirra (VIC - Def)
Francis Watson (WA - Def/Fwd)
Jesse Watchman (SA - KPF)
Nick Jackson (QLD - KPD)
Caleb Hislop (Tas - Mid)
Tim Jones (Tas - Mid)
Bradley Walsh (WA - Mid)
Brenton Payne (VIC - Fwd)
Erin Wasley-Black (NT - Def)
Connor McLean (SA - KPD/Def)
Jaden McGrath (VIC - Fwd/Mid)
Alex Urban (VIC - Mid)
Nick Amato (SA - Mid)
Matthew Panos (SA - Mid/KPF)
Zach Ballard (VIC - Mid)

mate you have had David Mirra on that list for 6 years.

The ones I still have floating around that I can think of are (no order);

Hugh Beasley
Josh Hone
Taei Miles
Danny Butler
Caleb Hislop
Josh McGuinness
Brenton Payne
Peter Spurling
Errin Wasley-Black
Matt Goodyear
Tom Wilkinson