Big Footy Phantom Draft 2014 - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a run and give type player a little in the mould of Suckling or Gaff. I think clubs would like to see him win his own ball a bit more and thats probably an area of focus in his last few games before draft day.

I think Duggan's contested game is really quite underrated. He hasn't always gotten a chance to show it off, given how good his outside skills are. But he has really improved already. And his tackling game is just about second to none in the draft.

Just my opinion, but I think people might be getting caught up in the fact he has good foot skills and has played off half back. And then assume that he is another Suckling. But Duggan is more than that, and I think is closer to someone like Bartel in terms of versatility and midfield game.

Great pick at 22. I have him top 10.

I considered going tall here again, and I also considered Ellis & Duggan but unfortunately they are now not available.

Jackson Nelson
187cm/80kg/Geelong Falcons

Doesn't do much wrong and I like what i've seen with Nelson throughout the year. What has impressed me the most about him is his willingness to get to repeat stoppages and the fact that he's going just as hard late in the game as he does in the first quarter. He's good at the coalface and he also provides link through the midfield when he has to as well.

Like a number of other mids in this years draft, he is also above average on his non dominant foot. His kicking as a whole is pretty sound although his DE% can look a little low however i'm prepared to forgive him as a good portion of his posessions are contested and they are quick kicks to get the ball moving in the right direction.

Just doing the write up for Pick 20.

Matt Hammelmann 197cm 86kgs

Hammelmann is a Lions academy player and I would suggest is highly likely to cost us our second round pick. He fits our needs to a tee and its hard to see us passing on him. He is an AIS member for this year and despite some injuries issues along the way has shown enough to whet people's appetites I think. Physically he has great size and is starting to fill out. His upper half is lagging a bit behind the lower half but by the time he is finished he will be a very solid unit. Athletically he has good pace and endurance but probably not in the elite for his size in either. Certainly I have no concern over his athletic ability and I would expect him to test in the top quarter of key positions across the board.

One area where he is absolutely elite is with the ball on the ground. I don't know if I have seen a junior player his size so good below the knees and his ability to pick it up and go is going to be a nice weapon in his arsenal going forward. Above his head his hands are good but not elite. He judges the ball very nicely in the air and takes a lot of marks. He seems to have overcome his reluctance to crash packs that he showed last year but his contested marking could still use some work. His hands are not the steel traps some are in contested marking situations. I see him as a CHF at AFL level and he has shown some really nice ability to get up the ground and link up with his marking. There have been several games where his opponents have just not been able to go with him.

His leading patterns are as good as anyone in this draft and he times his leads to dangerous spots exceptionally well. He seems to get separation easily and has a great feel for where and when to lead. He generates a lot of chances for himself.

His skills around the ground are very good for a KP and he identifies and hits his targets well. If he goes back you can rely on him to be solid coming out of defence. His goal kicking can be inconsistent and there are games where he struggles to get it between the big sticks. For the Champs he kicked 7 goals and 8 behinds across his three games and a lot of those behinds were from gettable shots.

I watched the game against Tassie and it was hard not to be enormously impressed with his performance. He had 16 disposals, 12 marks and kicked 4 goals and 2 behinds in a dominant display. He lead great inside 50 to generate shots but was also up on the wing looking like Nick Reiwoldt. It is worth noting that he had another really good game against the Rebels in the TAC on the weekend with 15 disposals, 10 marks on the way to kicking 5 goals (or 4 from other sources) and 1 behind. Those are the good games but there have been quite a few this year where he has been very quiet especially against senior company in the NEAFL. I think a lot of the issues are between the ears for him. Once he feels that he belongs and has the edge he can dominate but if he is a bit unsure he is just not a factor. I think he will be fine in the long run but I do think it might take him a few years to assert himself at AFL level and be a real factor.

There is some chance that he could end up playing at the other end of the ground. I watched the AIS v Collingwood ressies game from earlier in the year and he was clearly the best KPD that the AIS had matched up as he was on Corey Gault. He read the play coming in very nicely and showed good judgement when to punch and when to mark and although he often played a step off he found the body when he had to. I was impressed with his performance at that end of the ground given he has little experience there.

If I was going to make a comparison to anyone it would be to Chris Dawes. Like Dawes he can provide a good target inside 50 but also get up teh ground and be a nice target to help move the ball forward. I do not see him being a Coleman contender but he would give you a reliable option up forward and if he was your number 2 target you are going to be in a strong place.

Incredible how many South Australians are still there. Whilst I do expect Durdin to be the standout in the draft order, I feel there are a fair few that would be very close to selection or could have already been selected.

Pick 24 - Western Bulldogs: Reece McKenzie
Height: 196cm
Weight: 100kg
Position: Key Forward

General comments:
I'm expecting this pick to polarise opinion but the first thing I want to say is that this wasn't a pick made as a reach for some height; I genuinely see Reece as having the most to work with at this pick. He had limited game time in the Champs, yes, but that happens when you're playing behind the likes of Peter Wright and Darcey Moore. This is also not a pick based on his ten-goal game, nor his sixteen-goal game; while they look handy on paper it's not so much the goals kicked but the attributes I see him having. In my opinion he's got a lot to work with, and while this may be a little higher than some think he should go, I'm confident in his ability.

Strengths: Arguably McKenzie's biggest strength is his marking ability. Everything you look for in marking contests, he's got it: he reads the ball well through the air, he has very sticky hands, he's clever with his positioning, and he is able to use his size and strength to good effect, protecting the drop of the ball and ensuring that he's in position A. This is very much why I'm attracted to McKenzie as a prospect as many of the factors that will see him succeed in AFL-level marking contests are already in place. As a marking forward he is quite versatile, being more than capable of competing one-on-one, in packs, and on the lead. Coming from a basketball background as well, his exposure to the game has been minimal compared to many others; in fact, just last year he was focused almost entirely on basketball. It is extremely rare to see what I've seen from Reece come from somebody so new to the game and this is another reason he appeals to me at this pick: the scope for his improvement is huge with some more experience and the opportunity to work within an AFL environment. I see his relative inexperience as being a positive with McKenzie as I believe a lot of his issues could be refined with greater exposure and with a more long-term focus on the game.

His basketball background has also given him some rare athletic ability for his size. He is not overly quick, nor is he your big-tank running machine, but his ability to change direction is very nice and will aid him in future. He doesn't quite use it as much as you'd like, however in future I see it being a real feature of his game. As somebody that isn't overly quick he needs to be able to catch opposition defenders out and this is something that I see his athleticism helping with significantly. He's also more than capable at ground level for a big man, ensuring that he's not completely out of the contest if the ball isn't marked.

The other thing I like with Reece is just his ability to see the game unfolding in front of him, which gives him the rare ability for a full forward of setting up play and putting teammates in positions to score - or, at the very least, in a more dangerous position. His skills can let him down and I'll touch on this later, but what I like is that he almost always has the right idea if he's up the ground. He reads the game well and is often quick to react as he sees an option, which is an invaluable trait for a big man and something that gives him added versatility, being capable of taking marks further up the field and keep progressing the ball. It also helps with his timing of leads as he's able to judge when best to get on the move and make the ball distributor's job much easier.

In short I see McKenzie as being amongst the best full forwards in the draft this year, despite not having the exposure of others. While his ten- and sixteen-goal games look good on his record they didn't really factor into my thinking and it was more the attributes that McKenzie has that stood out for me.

What he needs to work on: The number one thing that McKenzie needs to improve upon is just his consistency. As evidenced by his big hauls of goals (one for the Knights and one for Marcellin) he can really take games by the scruff of the neck when he gets going but we just haven't seen it consistently enough. He kicked eight or nine goals in five games prior to the Knights haul so it's not like he goes totally missing all the time; it's just that he probably doesn't have the consistent goal-kicking form that you'd want from a full forward taken early in the second round. As the type of player that likely attracts a lot of the ball, and is the target for a lot of bail-out kicks due to his contested marking ability, you preferably want to see him kicking bags pretty often at junior level. The major problem with this is that you're picking him based on what you think he can develop into rather than what he already is, which is obviously fraught with danger. If McKenzie can show a propensity to be a more consistent goal-kicker in the back-end of the year I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a late bolter, as known form is really the only major thing 'wrong' with his game.

The other standout 'flaw' is his kicking. It isn't the ugliest action you'll ever see and he's a long way from John Butcher levels of 'hates a goal,' but it's definitely something he'll need to work on. He gets some power through the ball and he's able to kick the ball a decent way, but it just isn't very accurate. In terms of all of set shot goal kicking, general field kicking and kicking on the run he's a lacklustre kick at best and an awful kick at worst, kicking quite a few behinds and missing targets often. His field kicking isn't a huge issue as he likely spends most of his time deep in the forward 50, but it's still something you'd like to see improve to take advantage of his other attributes. His goal kicking - specifically set-shots - however, will definitely need to be cleaned up.

I mentioned in passing earlier that he doesn't quite use his athleticism as much as I'd like and I'll spend a small amount of time expanding on that. As a big guy with good lateral movement you expect him to use it very often to run fake leads or to peel off an opponent, but he just doesn't seem to back himself to do so and seems more content to get involved in a wrestle. Of course, his one-on-one marking is a nice feature of his game, but I think he's more than capable of getting a few more 'easy' marks than he tends to. As a poor set shot, unless he can fix that up he's going to need to have a high volume of shots, and to do that he's going to need to work on using his agility to create more separation. On the lead he's reasonably competent in opening up space between he and his opponent but it's something I see him working on with the repeat efforts not quite there yet. His repeat efforts aren't bad, they just aren't there consistently yet.

Depending on how you look at it, this may or may not be a weakness; however, he isn't an overly versatile player. His only real chance to make it is as a contested-marking full forward (albeit a very, very good chance of making it in my mind), as he can't really play other roles. He's an okay option as a pinch-hitting ruckman - but a pinch-hitter is all he is. He's shown little as a defender. He's not a big-tank running machine to take those heavy stints up the ground. I don't see this as a huge weakness as I think he develops into the type of player that you don't want to move from the forward fifty too often but I would like to see him develop a little more to his game. Improving his ruck work to be able to give a little more support to the number one ruckman and allowing him to roam a little bit further up the ground and teaching him the art of doing so would be a good start.

Where he fits: At full forward. Duh.

Liam Jones desperately needs somebody alongside him and while Jack Redpath has shown the ability to bring some physicality and support to full forward he's probably not a long-term option. Similarly, Tom Campbell is a natural ruckman and is not a good enough forward to spend huge amounts of game time at full forward. I don't think Jones develops without another genuine tall around him and I see he and McKenzie really working to each other's strengths and being able to form a potent duo. With Crameri working heavily up and down the ground McKenzie is largely shielded from these duties and is allowed to play in his preferred role. As a side that runs the bail out kick a little more often than you'd like McKenzie provides a safe option to either mark the ball for a nice shot at goal, or set the ball at his feet for the likes of Hunter and Dahlhaus to work their magic.

Reece likely takes a little while to come on and spends a bit of time at Footscray but I see him developing into a really good key forward - something we haven't had for a while.

Other options: The major one here is Tyler Keitel and I know a lot will be questioning why you would take McKenzie over him. There are two major reasons: firstly, to my eye Keitel has stagnated a little in his last year of football and it's something I really don't like seeing from a tall. I prefer to see some steady improvement even if it is only marginal, as it is difficult to judge where the ceilings of these big guys are. Secondly, I don't see Tyler developing into the 'big banana' at either end of the ground and I just don't really see him as a second-round type.

Ed Vickers-Willis was another option, as well as a couple of smokies that I'll keep to myself for now.

You're up Gee Dub .

Last edited:
I think Duggan's contested game is really quite underrated. He hasn't always gotten a chance to show it off, given how good his outside skills are. But he has really improved already. And his tackling game is just about second to none in the draft.

Just my opinion, but I think people might be getting caught up in the fact he has good foot skills and has played off half back. And then assume that he is another Suckling. But Duggan is more than that, and I think is closer to someone like Bartel in terms of versatility and midfield game.

Great pick at 22. I have him top 10.

Pls dont take from it that its a weakness, its more an area that I think clubs would want to see more evidence of. he has shown he has positional scope fwd of the ball and I he has aggression in that wants to take game on which I think is massively underrated in players, skill and ball handling off the deck which should give him scope into the middle but I think its an area for him to show us more in.'

I'll get the write-up edited in shortly, but in the interests of keeping this going:

You're up Gee Dub .

He was one I really did consider with my second round pick as well.
Just wanted to add some more quality midfield depth to our list.

I'll get the write-up edited in shortly, but in the interests of keeping this going:

I managed to watch him in Perth, thought he looked really good and was disappointed I could not see him on TV.

I look forward to your thoughts on this kid and come draft day, it will be very interesting to see where he lands. I am also upset that his dad did not play longer for Carlton!

I like McKenzie. The more I look at the talls in this draft, the less potential #1 forwards I see. He could be one.

Agree with you on the tall forwards, the early year hype is diminishing quickly, number of ruck types who have kicked goals at some stage in the TAC.

The fact of the matter is in AFL these days you need mobility and defensive efforts.

McKenzie is certainly a draft option, however for me not as a second rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aidan Anderson - 182 cm 83 kg - Swan Districts

Anderson is super exciting and the best small forward in the draft. While he is classified as a small forward, he does more than your average small, holding his own in one-on-one contests, working hard up the ground and of course kicking those opportunistic goals that are expected from quality smalls.

Anderson is strong bodied and used to playing senior footy, having played 12 games for Swan Districts this year. He has strong legs and a big bum that allows him to block his opponent and shield him from the ball. It also helps him to be a powerful athlete, accelerating hard away from the contest with an explosive first two steps. Despite having this initial acceleration he is not overly quick however he takes the game on and loves to run so he doesn't tend to get caught unless he tries to do too much, which can be the case. Anderson has a habit of biting off more than he can chew and running 5m too far, or trying one dummy too many which can get him into trouble but I like that he is taking the game on because that sort of thing is hard to teach.

His ability to get up and go again is really impressive. Anderson is always in the contest because he springs straight back up and goes again time after time. His work rate is great and it isn't uncommon to see him up around the wings before turning his opponent and running back into the space. He is really quick from hand to foot and this allows him to get rid of the ball quickly, which is especially useful for those quick shots at goal but around the ground his kicking looks a little shaky because he doesn't seem to take enough care with his ball drop.

Anderson is a different type of player to the small forwards Richmond have and I'd argue that he is ready to step right in and play. I rate him better than Lloyd, Lennon, Edwards etc and see him as a really good fit for the Tigers. Jack Lonie was also considered here but I felt that Anderson would be a better player in the long run and I prefer players who have senior experience.

Last edited:
OK, I'm really torn here, but I eventually decided based on need.

Considered Waterman (but that was too predictable a pick ;) ), Anderson, Webb, Cavka, Daniel and about 10 others I would be OK to take in this position.

Pick 26, West Coast, Brendon Abbott, 186, 80+

Quick, solidly built, very nice overhead mark. Purely selected because I see an ability to transform into the modern day midfielder, but needs to build that tank.

swannies your turn pal or at 4pm WCE welcome;

Brayden Maynard (Sandy Dragons / 186cm / 88kg)
Would have been happy with him too Snoop, but I wanted to be a little different. :)

I'm really torn on Meynard to be honest. Big fan earlier in the year, jumped right off him and then saw him play a ripper of a game against Dandenong on Saturday in the rain. Clearly his left foot is his biggest weapon, and he does play well through the midfield and down back, but he's just so damn inconsistent for my liking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back