Big Footy Phantom Draft - starts 9am Wed 5th

Remove this Banner Ad

beowulf

# 52 Swans - Jake Johansen
Height: 172 cm
Weight: 64 kg
DOB: 13/06/1996
Recruited from: Port Adelaide
Johansen is another small guy, but he is not slow and he is very classy. He averaged 22 possessions per game for SA in 6 games at the Carnival, playing his best against Vic Metro. He averaged 3 tackles and 4 clearances in the same series. He has been playing senior footy for Port Adelaide Magpies for a couple of years now and stand out with his run and carry. He is very light, but he looked about 12 years old when he started playing senior footy. He is a goal kicker, a good mid who can find his own ball or a speedy winger.

What an absolute bargain.
Under 18's All Australian and SA Captain who lead them to win the Under 18 Championships.

Under 18's All Australian and SA Captain who lead them to win the Under 18 Championships.

yeah its amazing how the SA kids just dont feature as high as the Vic kids in this draft given how good they were at Champs. In this kids case its nothing but height.

I think Neal-Bullen, Gore, Wigg, Ramsay might go 25-50 and Durdin should be in the 10-20 range but its not really reflective is it.

yeah its amazing how the SA kids just dont feature as high as the Vic kids in this draft given how good they were at Champs. In this kids case its nothing but height.

I think Neal-Bullen, Gore, Wigg, Ramsay might go 25-50 and Durdin should be in the 10-20 range but its not really reflective is it.

I have been on a similar theme for a couple months now, there are a number of Vic Metro boys who are being described as outstanding on ball prospects, with the exception of Petracca the same boys were killed by SA in the midfield during the championship. Vic Country also showed the same boys up for pace and run.
I believe they good solid flankers and goal scoring forwards however they need to improve a lot to convince me they will be even second tier midfielders. I would much prefer to take a chance with the out and out runners as the likely ones who will have a real impact. Cockatoo, Garlett, Pickett, Cavka, Menadue & Cunica are the ones I will expect to surprise people. The games moving further towards speed and run, especially with changes to interchange rules and umpiring interpretation. Laverde & Langford are 2 others that are so different they could just become stars, with Langford though his kicking and decision making will have to improve.

I have been on a similar theme for a couple months now, there are a number of Vic Metro boys who are being described as outstanding on ball prospects, with the exception of Petracca the same boys were killed by SA in the midfield during the championship. Vic Country also showed the same boys up for pace and run.
I believe they good solid flankers and goal scoring forwards however they need to improve a lot to convince me they will be even second tier midfielders. I would much prefer to take a chance with the out and out runners as the likely ones who will have a real impact. Cockatoo, Garlett, Pickett, Cavka, Menadue & Cunica are the ones I will expect to surprise people. The games moving further towards speed and run, especially with changes to interchange rules and umpiring interpretation. Laverde & Langford are 2 others that are so different they could just become stars, with Langford though his kicking and decision making will have to improve.

I agree with that but not many of the SA kids had elite speed and circa 185cm. Heard someone say Scharenberg would have gone 1 in this draft......I agree. Lot of question marks over a lot of the kids this year but its a much deeper draft than last and thats what I really like about it.

# 53 Hawthorn - Mark Kovacevic

# 54 St Kilda - PASS

# 55 Melbourne - PASS

# 56 GWS - Josh Watts
Club: Glenorchy
Height: 194cm
Weight: 75kg
Position: Tall utility
Bio: Havent seen a lot of him but has a fair bit of upside and has been looked at. He played as a tall fwd and defender and he has performed really well and got some clubs a little interested. He has some filling out to do and reminds a bit of Craig Starcevich for those that remember him. Tall, light but a really good mover and a bit of speed. He is a project but worth a crack. More likely a key back than fwd.

At 172cm this is where I expect him to go.
You have to be outstanding at this height to be looked at by recruiters/clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At 172cm this is where I expect him to go.
You have to be outstanding at this height to be looked at by recruiters/clubs.

I rate him as a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder in the National Draft. (With his height factored in)
If he slides to the end of the rookie draft I consider that a huge steal.

I rate him as a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder in the National Draft. (With his height factored in)
If he slides to the end of the rookie draft I consider that a huge steal.

Agreed he is talented, but there have been plenty of players of his height that have been overlooked in past drafts.
That's why Caleb Daniel is a very interesting proposition in this years draft as well.

One things that clubs seem to have forgotten in their quest for larger, stronger mids is that if you are good enough, you are tall enough. Johansen is good value. Daniel should be good value. They have enough pace and good skills. But sometimes clubs overlook smaller players because they worry about their size. if you don't have a chance, you can't show that you are good enough. I hope these guys get drafted: they have the talent.

Swans - Peter Spurling
Height: 200cm,
Weight: 86kg,
DOB: 07/03/1996
Recruited from: Glenelg
Spurling is an athletic ruckman and sometime key defender. He is the 2nd of 3 good young rucks coming up through Glenelg’s under age system, all 3 of which were good enough to merit state consideration. At this point he has hasn’t played senior footy at Glenelg, where the best usually get a senior call-up. However, he takes marks and gets a good number of taps.
Spurling is quite quick for a big man and has a much better tank than most of his direct competitors. He kicks the ball well and can take pack marks.

Pick 72: Hawthorn - Michael Hartley

With 2 outside mids, an inside mid and a ruck added so far I think it might be worth bringing in a backup key defender as that's a position lacking depth at the Hawks. Hartley I feel is the best and most AFL ready KPD so it was a no brainer. Had I not picked to fill a role I'd have looked at Zac Richards, Jake Maher and Harry Dear - but I'd likely have picked up Marcus Hamilton who has too much ability to miss out.

# 75 GWS - Jayden Foster (Calder). Very keen to select Ryan Lim but I had loaded up on flankers and needed another tall. Kid is to good to miss out. No idea why Dogs passed him but terrific mover, great hands and solid shot on goal.

# 76 Brisbane - Ryan Lim (Claremont).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back