Toast Big Sam Rowe

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd start Jamo on him. Let Rowe play on White.

Agree.

Im sure we will as Jamo has always played on Cloke and while Rowe has been really good lately Jamo is still the no.1 and most experienced defender so he gets first crack.

I do think Rowe is a pretty good match up on Cloke though if he gets off the leash with his size, strength and seemingly decent running ability.

I think he's settling well into the back 6. Played well on Cloke at times but gets beaten on the lead from time to time, once he gets a few more games and starts understanding how the ball gets delivered into the 50 a bit better he'll improve even further.

If he keeps playing and improving, by next season he should be a more complete and thorough defender, taking marks on his opponent and rebounding more effectively. I think the biggest area he needs to work on is how to get the ball out of defence (field kicking + decision making) and getting some composure.

Cant fault his endeavour though :thumbsu:

I think he's settling well into the back 6. Played well on Cloke at times but gets beaten on the lead from time to time, once he gets a few more games and starts understanding how the ball gets delivered into the 50 a bit better he'll improve even further.

If he keeps playing and improving, by next season he should be a more complete and thorough defender, taking marks on his opponent and rebounding more effectively. I think the biggest area he needs to work on is how to get the ball out of defence (field kicking + decision making) and getting some composure.

Cant fault his endeavour though :thumbsu:

Agree with all of this. We had limited system, particularly coming out of our back line last night; hardly helps him.

Brings guts and presence. Is a keeper.

Defensively I don't have a problem with Rowe, it's just his disposal and decision making that's terrible.

I've only noticed an issue with his disposal since he's gone down back. When he was playing CHF his forward 50 entries were good and had good vision to spot up the best lead from the other forwards.

So I'm hoping its just a teething problem for him while he learns our defensive structures for getting the ball out as he seems a bit harried at times. He was drafted as a CHF so obviously thats a more comfortable position for him, but I think he'd do well to stop trying to think like a playmaker and just focus on getting the pill to a teammate who's clear and in a good position.

It sounds like myself and most of the Carlton people I know are in the minority. :confused: Malthouse is obviously a big fan.

I'm sure Rowe is a great guy and his team-mates and coaches love him but IMO he has been poor in the back line. His composure is reminiscent of Mick Martyn as too many times he just grabs the ball and whacks it on the boot as fast as he can. My heart is in my mouth every time he has the ball because he'll either make the wrong decision or just butcher it. He doesn't appear to be full of confidence either. With Bootsma and Watson appearing to be on the outer at the minute, I understand we have absolutely no depth with tall defenders. I suppose Rowe keeps his spot because of that.

Just too many fumbles, silly crude free kicks, clangers and just a lack of real class about the guy. Attitude and effort can't be questioned, he's a battler.

Feel free to say otherwise….just my observations.

Defensively I don't have a problem with Rowe, it's just his disposal and decision making that's terrible.
This.

Can we get someone to run past him every time he needs to dispose of the ball. He just throws it on the boot Robbo style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've only noticed an issue with his disposal since he's gone down back. When he was playing CHF his forward 50 entries were good and had good vision to spot up the best lead from the other forwards.

So I'm hoping its just a teething problem for him[...]

Yes, exactly.

I admit I'm as bad as anyone in regards to just about closing my eyes and praying he actually does something positive with the pill when he gets it down there, but what you say about his forward composure is very true.

I think Rowe is a lot better than the headless chook who slams the ball haphazardly onto his boot that he seems to become now and then and hopefully he just needs some time. Mick certainly seems a fan.

he did ok yesterday, wasn't our worst. so did White. Its just that both these guys cant be in our team for 17.
I feel like a Sanits supporter in the 80's more and more these days. we've got to praise our guys etc etc. but we are not getting anywhere.

Chocolates are so much better that boiled lollies. how far away is our next box?

It sounds like myself and most of the Carlton people I know are in the minority. :confused: Malthouse is obviously a big fan.

I'm sure Rowe is a great guy and his team-mates and coaches love him but IMO he has been poor in the back line. His composure is reminiscent of Mick Martyn as too many times he just grabs the ball and whacks it on the boot as fast as he can. My heart is in my mouth every time he has the ball because he'll either make the wrong decision or just butcher it. He doesn't appear to be full of confidence either. With Bootsma and Watson appearing to be on the outer at the minute, I understand we have absolutely no depth with tall defenders. I suppose Rowe keeps his spot because of that.

Just too many fumbles, silly crude free kicks, clangers and just a lack of real class about the guy. Attitude and effort can't be questioned, he's a battler.

Feel free to say otherwise….just my observations.
I dont have a problem. He is learning the trade of a CHB and could use some expert mentoring from someone like SoS in the art of the last desperate lunge spoil and how to be an octopus without giving away too many free kicks.

Watson and Boots both need a bit more time and I think that Rowe is only a stop gap measure atm and will eventually be replaced by Watson.

For the time being, I'm happy to leave him there.

I am wondering if Mick is grooming him as a big bodied defender which we don't have or if he is down back to learn how power forwards play. Both seem plausible based on the amount of time he spent on Cloke. As distinct from a few others I like the way he is developing. He hasn't got the natural skills of Henderson but is developing similar flexibility. Having them able to swap front and back depending on how a game is going might be very handy. Hopefully there is a master plan somewhere.

I am wondering if Mick is grooming him as a big bodied defender which we don't have or if he is down back to learn how power forwards play. Both seem plausible based on the amount of time he spent on Cloke. As distinct from a few others I like the way he is developing. He hasn't got the natural skills of Henderson but is developing similar flexibility. Having them able to swap front and back depending on how a game is going might be very handy. Hopefully there is a master plan somewhere.

Rowe is temporary. Always was.

Should we finally acquire a ready to go KPD in the off-season Rowe would likely spend another year in the VFL at best, whilst Watson and Giles develop.

Should we finally acquire a ready to go KPD in the off-season Rowe would likely spend another year in the VFL at best, whilst Watson and Giles develop.
As our season is cooked anyway, why isn't Watson getting game time instead of Rowe. I think Watson is ahead of Rowe in the queue to the exit door.

As our season is cooked anyway, why isn't Watson getting game time instead of Rowe. I think Watson is ahead of Rowe in the queue to the exit door.

Again, Watson is contracted and is clearly being developed in the VFL.
Watson aside, we're going to get ourselves an experienced KPD in the off-season. We just have to.

Harks, Giles seemed to be getting pantzed by that (No 16?) Coburg forward yesterday.

Featherstone is hardly a hulk himself and Giles was being manouvered around pretty easily.

What I do like about Giles though is that he's quick, good down low, has a nice kick on him and a good awareness and a good attitude......something I rarely saw from McCarthy as much as I wanted to.
He'd make a pretty handy third tall should it work out that way for us and not a bad player going forward either as last year was his first in defence.

This.

I think it has been decided Watson is best developed in the VFL, and from your reports Harks he is learning to be (and acting the part of) a backline general. This is great stuff IMO.

REegarding development, there has been a lot of negative comment about Carlton's work in this department, yet it seems to me that this is what they are doing well with Watson: no use having him getting flogged by all and sundry for wilting under the constant pressure our backline is under, as Rowe has done on occasion to earn considerable knocks in our losses this year.

Also like Cripps alternating between firsts and seconds as he develops. This is what Geelong does with all their youngsters and it works well enough for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back