Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIP A.J Pero. Twisted Sister always a favorite of mine through High School.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ%20Pero_Rip_zpspqsjcxgz.jpg

Only 55.. Heart attack. :(

Only a week after Dee's 60th. I'm putting together a slide show of AJ in the coming 24 hours.. check back here.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there are any Symphonic Metal fans, Nightwish's new album came out today.

My early impression is that it's fantastic but after the 1st couple of listens I don't think it's quite up there with Once- I'd have it alongside Dark Passion Play which I rate as their 2nd best album. I'll give it time to see if it reaches or surpasses Once.

The highlights are The Greatest Show on Earth, Alpenglow, Weak Fantasy, Shudder Before the Beautiful and Our Decades in the Sun (one of the best ballads the band has done IMO). I also love the couple of cameo appearances from Richard Dawkins.

not flogging a dead horse (much) but seriously no love for Audrey Horne at all? Admit, the video does not help much but members of Gorgoroth & Enslaved etc.

Not bad...sounds abit like Iron Maiden, not enough aggression, like 99% of bands these days, for me anyway

Last edited:
If there are any Symphonic Metal fans, Nightwish's new album came out today.

My early impression is that it's fantastic but after the 1st couple of listens I don't think it's quite up there with Once- I'd have it alongside Dark Passion Play which I rate as their 2nd best album. I'll give it time to see if it reaches or surpasses Once.

The highlights are The Greatest Show on Earth, Alpenglow, Weak Fantasy, Shudder Before the Beautiful and Our Decades in the Sun (one of the best ballads the band has done IMO). I also love the couple of cameo appearances from Richard Dawkins.
Wishmaster & Once will never be topped. They steadily declined since those days. The last album was absolute garbage. But i'd be willing to give this album a go seeing as it's Floor Jansen on vocals these days.

Wishmaster & Once will never be topped. They steadily declined since those days. The last album was absolute garbage. But i'd be willing to give this album a go seeing as it's Floor Jansen on vocals these days.

I honestly like both Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum. Sure they are different but they had to play to Annette's strengths. Plus, 3 of my top 5 favourite Nightwish songs come from those 2 albums in The Poet and the Pendulum, Song of Myself and Meadows of Heaven.

The new one has been getting mixed reviews from fans. Most are loving it from what I have seen but there are some who don't. The best fan review I have read so far is this one:

Here's my track-by-track review! As with Imaginaerum I saved myself for the album release, meaning Élan, Sagan and Shudder Before the Beautiful were just as new to me as the other songs on the album when I first heard them. Was it worth it? Yes! So without further ado, let's jump right into the opening track!

Shudder Before the Beautiful

Typical post-Century Child Nightwish composition. Musically it sort of bridges the gap between Once and Dark Passion Play. The chorus is definitely in the same vein as Dark Chest of Wonders but when listening to the song as a whole I am also reminded of Whoever Brings the Night and the bridge is very Sahara-esque. Love the keyboard and guitar duel!

Weak Fantasy

This is a song where I think the vocal style really has to fit the music for it to be enjoyable. It could easily have been on Dark Passion Play, but Anette wouldn't have been able to carry it the way Floor does. I really like the flamenco guitar during the verses too, by the way! It's so out of place yet it totally works, somehow.

Élan

I can understand why this song failed to impress many fans. It's definitely the lightest song they've ever done that is not a ballad. People have compared it to Eluveitie and Blackmore's Night and that seems fair. With a slightly different (and heavier) arrangement it could easily have been a new Ever Dream, or even their own Over the Hills and Far Away if they had changed the time signature. I must say I'm a bit puzzled why they held back so much with the instrumentation. That being said, I still think the song itself is really good and I think that whenever they decided to make an official live recording of it we will get to hear what it sounds like with a slightly beefier sound. Not sure if I would have picked this as the first single though.

Yours Is an Empty Hope

Dark Chest of Wonders and Master Passion Greed had a baby. That's probably the best way to describe this song. I know that some people have a problem with the many nods to their previous work on this album, but in general it doesn't bother me one bit. It still takes me a while before I realise whether or not I'm listening to She Is My Sin or The Kinslayer. It's only natural for a band to develop their own idiosyncrasies. However, I must admit that I'm a bit torn about what to make of the opening riff for this particular song simply because it's not just reminiscent of the one in Dark Chest of Wonders - it's identical. That is my one and only complaint about this otherwise amazing tune.

Our Decades in the Sun

The intro is definitely very similar to that of A Lifetime of Adventure but it gets a pass from me since that's not really a Nightwish song. The overall vibe of the song is quite similar to Higher Than Hope, with a touch of Epica's Solitary Ground. One of the most interesting songs on the album in terms of composition and arrangement. Major props to Floor for the incredibly emotional and moving vocal delivery.

My Walden

I've seen people complain about the unexpected tempo change halfway through but I feel like it's what keeps this song interesting and makes it more than just a redundant sequel to I Want My Tears Back. It also sounds much more organic and genuinely Celtic than the latter.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful

At first I thought it sounded like Storytime with a touch of Last Ride of the Day yet not as memorable as either of them and this feeling stuck with me for a while. However, the more I've listened to it the more I've begun to notice its own unique characteristics. It feels like a more mature and sophisticated cousin of the aforementioned tracks.

Edema Ruh

I've got such mixed feelings about this song. Ocean Soul goes AOR. As with the Élan it's a good song at core but would in my humble opinion have worked much better with a different arrangement. In its current state it sounds really dated. I can see why Tuomas originally wanted this to be a single because the melody is very catchy. However, I did not enjoy the use of drum loops in the verses. It worked for Within Temptation on The Silent Force, in part because they used better samples but mostly because it was a recurring characteristic of the entire album. I also didn't enjoy the Van Halen guitars. Too much cheese for my taste. Honestly, if they had removed the drum loops and the Van Halen guitars this song would probably have been one of my favourites instead of making me wish they had just put Sagan in its place. I also hope they don't pick this as the next single because just like Élan I just don't think it will do a good job selling the album.

Alpenglow

It has the same kind of positive vibe as Last Ride of the Day, but not as "jumpy" in its melody (for lack of a better term). Please make this song a single! It deserves a music video, but I also think it would convince people who have been on the fence about buying the album because of Élan. A standout track for sure.

The Eyes of Sharbat Gula

By far the weakest instrumental track in their repertoire. It's not bad by any means, the previous ones are just better. I feel like this one overstays its welcome. It's very ambient and lacks a memorable melody. The atmosphere it creates is very pleasant, but it really should have been three minutes tops. In a way, it reminds me of listening to the last section of Song of Myself. It's pretty, but just doesn't go anywhere. I think adding vocals to this song as originally intended would have made a really big difference.

The Greatest Show on Earth

While I'm a really big fan of progressive music, longer doesn't always mean better. It's not that hard to compose a song that clocks in at the 24 minute mark. It is however not easy to make it flow naturally from beginning to end. I never expected this song to be downright bad, but I was definitely worried that it would feel like three or four individual and rather random pieces in succession. It was such a relief to be proven wrong! Out of all the lengthy songs Tuomas has composed, this is by far the most coherent and cohesive. It really blew my mind! I also find Dawkins' narration very pleasant to listen to!

Sagan

As previously mentioned, this should have been on the album instead of Edema Ruh. It would fit in with the rest of the album a lot better lyrically if nothing else. Something tells me they will perform this one live at some point.

General thoughts:

+ Floor's vocal delivery is perfect. I simply cannot understand how some people think she's underperforming! There is not a single line on this album that made me think "this would sound better if she sang it differently". She does get to showcase her versatility on this album, but in a very organic way. Dynamic singing at its finest. I've already praised Floor for giving us the most stellar live vocals since From Wishes to Eternity and I am happy to continue the praise by saying this album has the most stellar studio vocals since Wishmaster.

+ Tuomas has done it again. There are quite a few nods to his previous work, but why wouldn't there be? He has his signature style just like every other talented composer, yet manages to write with enough variety that not even the most formulaic material sounds feels unimaginative. The lyrics are stunningly good! Some of his finest work, without a doubt!

+ Kai does a very good job filling in for Jukka. Granted, I don't know much about drumming but it didn't feel any different from how it sounds on their other albums.

+ Great balance of band performance and orchestra

+ The mastering! I cannot thank Mika Jussila enough for not compressing this album to hell and back!

- Vocals are sadly a bit too low in the mix on some tracks.

- Marco is back to primarily being a bassist. I'm crossing my fingers he will get as many lines to sing as on Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum on their next album.

It's too early to tell how it compares to their other albums, but right now I think this is their best album since Century Child. I know some people have compared it to Once, but I would argue it's much closer to Dark Passion Play but with better lyrics and more interesting melodies.

http://www.nightwishforum.com/index...ss-forms-most-beautiful-2015-pt-iii/?p=247791

Quite liked Century Child but rarely listen to it now days. Once was the standout for me. That's all I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back