Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headed back in time this last week for an 'old school' fix of the very early stuff from Slayer (e.g. Show No Mercy); Kreator; Sodom; Venom; Megadeth; Metallica; Anthrax; Death; Celtic Frost; Queensrÿche; Fates Warning; Annihilator; Crüe; Motörhead; Running Wild; Scorpions; Accept; Candlemass; Mercyful Fate etc.

So many legendary, genre defining bands all 'developing' around the same time.

Admittedly not many are putting out decent material anymore but once they all call it a day ........... Who's gonna pick up the baton and run with it???

The members of these bands are all 50-60 etc and can't last forever.

Can't think of too many bands from the last 15 years who can go anywhere close to some of these earlier bands? Add in Maiden, Priest, Sabbath etc and there's a huge vacuum left IMO.

Very poor list management.
Well, more bands going around today. Easier to record something (can do it petty ok on your average pc) and then promote it through the internet. So fans have to make a choice and there are very few bands everybody really loves. So it will be really difficult to become as big as the old heroes. Same even in the absolute mainstream. Don't thing many Michael Jackson's or Madonna's will come around today...

I really like the concept of part time bands. Bolt thrower do it pretty nice. Work for your money in another business and have your band as a hobby. Means total artistic freedom and no business decisions.

Well, more bands going around today. Easier to record something (can do it petty ok on your average pc) and then promote it through the internet. So fans have to make a choice and there are very few bands everybody really loves. So it will be really difficult to become as big as the old heroes. Same even in the absolute mainstream. Don't thing many Michael Jackson's or Madonna's will come around today...

I really like the concept of part time bands. Bolt thrower do it pretty nice. Work for your money in another business and have your band as a hobby. Means total artistic freedom and no business decisions.

Yep - seems there are millions of bands nowadays and to be honest, I don't have the time or the want to investigate all of them any longer. Which probably means I am gonna miss out on a while heap of awesome bands. At the same time, the scene has become saturated with 'mastered for iTunes' crap.

Who are the new heroes to carry the genre for the next 20 years? Opeth (dropped the ball); Mastodon (good awful hipsters); Lamb of Fricken God?..Trvium? Bullet for My Valentine....stop me please.

I mean seriously when was the last time anyone here picked up an album and was blown away? Like the first time you heard Welcome to Hell or Hell Awaits or even Kill 'em All? Part of that come with age I guess and you can never re-create what it was like to be 12 years old and see KISS for the first time and just sit there with you mouth open...but I dunno, maybe we have all lived through the 'golden age' of metal and wont realise how lucky we are (were) until all those aforementioned bands pack it up and turn off the amps for good (which would actually be a blessing in some cases.....Lars...Kerry..Scott Ian)..

Metal is gonna go seriously underground in the next decade or two IMO.

Last edited:

My experience is if you try to hard to be like the greats then you get accused of just copying, not finding your own sound and hijacking someone elses, but if you try something different then you're told you aren't staying true. Lose/lose.

Yes agree.

For a genre that is supposedly built on the notion of '* you conformity', metal is about as conservative as it gets.

Yeah very few bands around recently I really got into. Even most bands I find out about and get to like nowadays are from 20+ years ago. Can really only think of Portal and Woods of Infinity and both get close to those 20 years as well...

Last time I was blown away by anything was Blut Aus Nord - TWWTG. That ablum was so defining for me. When I was a teen through late 90s/early 00s I was constantly looking back to Emperor, Satyricon and then Abigor. BAN was the first thing to come out to truely knock me off my feet.

Used to be able to rely on Aussie scene but that has gone to arse with all the metal core and NeO tea bagging anything they can. Bang on correct that it's too easy to release music these days. On one hand it's better for people like me who are having trouble finding people to work with again so instead I can do my own thing without others or a studio but it just means anyone can put out garbage. I've only just turned 30 so my experience doesn't go as far back as some but we are so far from having line ups like Nazxul, Portal and Astriaal on the same night.

What has happened to Astriaal? Their Debut is brilliant but that's years ago..... Do you know??

Great mates with a couple of the blokes so yes I do know :D just got older and other things took priority. A couple of the guys got married, had kids etc. Most live in Brisbane but I think one still lives on the Sunshine Coast which probably makes regular rehearsing tough. They haven't been the same though IMO after Ean left and they have had bassists come and go. They have been working on a new one for ages but who knows when/if that will ever see the light of day. They went over to Norway to have one of the Arcturus blokes to mix the last one which was a few years back now. I thought that might have helped them finally break through but no luck. First EP (not including the 3 track cassette) and album were absolute pearlers. First time I heard the EP I couldn't believe they were an Aussie band. Grypho is a massive Hawks man, we have a bit of Hawks v Tiges banter on FB (though he always gets the last laugh :() and he usually comes down to a few games a year.

This crap about Phil Anselmo is doing my head in. Phil doing something racist is like George Michael doing something gay. What happened to metal being about rebellion, a sanctuary from the PC bullshit of every day society and having the more intelligent (mostly) crowd who just walk away/don't listen to something if it offends them and don't have to go on some pathetic hashtag campaign every two seconds? Rob Flynn getting on his soap box saying there is no place for racism in metal. The only thing that doesn't have a place in metal are SJWs.

Metal Hammer lost their ******* minds. They posted it as vital breaking news anytime someone sneezed in Phil's direction since it's happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ie. Ride the clickbait wave all the way to the bank.

I guess that's one way of putting it, but in reality it's all about hits nowadays to show potential advertisers your reach. So it doesn't correlate directly to money unless you are one of those terrible 'Top 7 things that will change your hips' websites for bored single mothers. I think the metal/hard rock websites do a pretty good job of not going overboard...except maybe Music Feeds :$ But they aren't really heavy focused anyway.

interesting stuff a bit earlier in this thread re: newer good bands.

i think the internet has caused a bit of immediacy. bands used to have a bit of time to hone their craft before releasing anything, nowadays they proliferate far and wide while they're still in their musical nappies. there are still plenty of bands, and plenty of music being made. the fact we have so much to wade through to find stuff to blow us away is a sign of the genre's success as much as failure.

most of the stuff that has been making me hard in the past year or two has been out of metal, or on the fringes (like, true widow). but with the amount of music being made, there'll be plenty of gems in amongst the turds. still makes up most of my music diet. just a matter of digging through it all.

interesting stuff a bit earlier in this thread re: newer good bands.

i think the internet has caused a bit of immediacy. bands used to have a bit of time to hone their craft before releasing anything, nowadays they proliferate far and wide while they're still in their musical nappies. there are still plenty of bands, and plenty of music being made. the fact we have so much to wade through to find stuff to blow us away is a sign of the genre's success as much as failure.

most of the stuff that has been making me hard in the past year or two has been out of metal, or on the fringes (like, true widow). but with the amount of music being made, there'll be plenty of gems in amongst the turds. still makes up most of my music diet. just a matter of digging through it all.

You should change your name from 'dumb' to 'Andy Dufresne'.....coz that's about the volume of turd you need to dig through these days..lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back