Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I see what you mean. Although when i first listened to "Marrow" i kind of thought "This is different," but i saw the potential to enjoy it so to speak and it's ended up one of my favourite Agalloch albums. I didn't get that on my first listen on the latest one, i just really wanted to turn it off and actually listened to it in 2 stages. I might give it another go later on but i really didn't enjoy it. Interested to hear what Dee Snider thinks of it as well if he has it yet.

Only listened to it once through now. A couple of initial thoughts:
  • not really sure why they felt the need to 'outsource' the 3 instrumental tracks to Nathanael Larochette? Those 3 tracks dont really add anything to the album IMO and Agalloch have proven they can do it so much better...weird decision;
  • lush production a noticeable departure from the more minimalist, sparse, agricultural feel on earlier albums eg The Mantle
  • drumming again very good
  • clean vocals have taken a back seat,
  • less of that 'nature' feel to it that previous albums that made Agalloch so unique,
  • no real standout tracks,
  • overall - I am liking what I have heard dont think its a bad album - but its certaily a departure from there classic material (although in all honesty not a drastic one).

does anyone know the band on the tshirt jeff walker is wearing?
View attachment 62462

No idea. Good show? Don't like the new album. Saw them on the Heartwork tour, which was a real letdown. Firstly, Heartwork is a shocking album and secondly, they didn't play anything from SOS or ROP.

I read the comment section and apparently they did the exact same thing at the same time of this track in their other shows. Pre planned bit of banter...

I'm not really one for going into the pit these days, i like to just stand back and take in the music.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read the comment section and apparently they did the exact same thing at the same time of this track in their other shows. Pre planned bit of banter...

I'm not really one for going into the pit these days, i like to just stand back and take in the music.
I didn't go, but apparently at the Perth show he ripped into the Sydney crowd.

I've really been digging this today at work, atmospheric, celtic black metal.

Interesting to read that the band is a lone Scottsman, some brilliant elements and melodies created.. Although i'm not a huge fan of his vocals straight off the bat, the music is solid throughout the whole album. I might have to pick it up through his bandcamp page when I get home.

Last edited:
Been listening to a lot of albums I hadn't touched in a long time due to my diversion away from metal>

Today:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back