Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
MVii is my favourite album of theirs closely followed by TWTTG. Don't mind the 777 trilogy but just don't find it as memorable. If I was going to back into playing in a band again it is definitely the kind of sound I would draw from the most.

YOu like atmo BM have you heard October Falls and Walknut ?

YOu like atmo BM have you heard October Falls and Walknut ?

Cool stuff, cheers. Have only heard a little October Falls, but not that tune and no Walknut. I spent the past few years playing in a death/thrash band and my black metal listening almost completely took a back seat.

Just love bands like BAN and like what you shared. Too many boring and untalented BM bands, where as the stuff mentioned employ some great use of musical theory like using phrygian mode instead of just aeolian all the time, unique sequencing etc. As a muso it is refreshing to hear and just about all that's worth listening to.

I've really been digging this today at work, atmospheric, celtic black metal.

Interesting to read that the band is a lone Scottsman, some brilliant elements and melodies created.. Although i'm not a huge fan of his vocals straight off the bat, the music is solid throughout the whole album. I might have to pick it up through his bandcamp page when I get home.

I posted about this guy's June 2014 album a couple of weeks ago, but lately have been more enjoying his previous work. I'm not sure why I enjoy it more, maybe it just has more of a Moonsorrow feel to it. the epic highland atmospherics are all there and perhaps more heightened but his vocals suit his music more in this album compared to his more recent album. Slightly longer songs too..

This is the full album, bar a 2 min ambient track.

Last edited:
The guy behind Saor sells both albums digitally through bandcamp on facebook for between 5 & 10 pounds each. In fact. when I picked them up I even managed to forward the email onto mates who were able to download them free from the link I paid for (probably not really kosher... but still).

The guy behind Saor sells both albums digitally through bandcamp on facebook for between 5 & 10 pounds each. In fact. when I picked them up I even managed to forward the email onto mates who were able to download them free from the link I paid for (probably not really kosher... but still).

Just found the bandcamp page. Not a big fan of buying albums digitally but a quick search found a few distros carrying it so I'll just have to make a reminder to grab it for next time.

Nice one. :thumbsu:
Yeah I used to be the same, used to pride myself on not having a single burnt album on all my CD shelves. Then family life and other priorities took over and now the shelves sit in the spare room away from kids - gathering dust, whilst I listen to albums on my phone and work computer all day. :(
Half of them will probably never get pulled off the shelves ever again, sadly.

That's what my life has become. Settled down with the missus, about to take on a mortgage, no kids yet but finding I never get a chance to listen my old stuff I used to listen to. I reckon I would have a massive black hole in my collection where there is hardly a new BM album from the last 5 or 6 years. I don't even know what new bands are around anymore either haha and I used to pride myself on knowing the ins and outs and always had cool underground stuff when labels I was on would send out piles of promos.

Hahaha yep, this same topic was discussed in previous subsequent Bigfooty General metal discussion threads. That's the way it goes.. well for me anyway. Finger firmly on the pulse of all metal, Euro-metalfest tours, local gigs every weekend, up all hours of the night discovering new music, even DJ'ing the local weekly metal radio show for a few years. Fast forward a few years and it's all but been replaced by Mortgage, kids, family politics, work stresses etc.

Solid thread derailment, and a bit of a whinge - sorry everyone! Just down in the dumps a little lately due to having quit both my bands in one hit last month to spend a bit more time helping out at home, so let us vent a little. Last show ever tomorrow night.

That's pretty rough!
It's not as if they could start back up and exist without you eventually finding out, if nothing else a quick word out of courtesy probably wouldn't go astray..?

Tomorrow night's gig is with the band I started from scratch, Wrath of Fenrir. I think they're keen to keep going so it's a little hard to let go, knowing you'll have no say in the direction of something you started - good luck to them in any case. You'd probably describe them as Norse themed melodic death metal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever their reasons I said they could have at least given me a heads up I was no longer needed. But whatever we've all moved on.

Wrath of Fenrir sounds familiar. Played with any Melbourne bands in recent times? Reckon I've seen it on a flyer on facebook or something
From Vic? Only a show last month over here. I think there was Harlott, Mason & Frankenbok. Murderfest - Perth.

Not necessarily metal related but I'm sure you blokes can relate.

My new custom E-ii has been delayed again which pissed me off a bit so was itching to drop some coin. Bought the Native Instruments interface and will go pick it up on the weekend http://www.fivestarmusic.com.au/epa...usic/Products/NI-KMPA6&ViewAction=ViewProduct
It's a ripping little unit for home recording. Takes 2x 1/4" instrument input, MIDI in and out, and 2x mic input, shows peaks etc. Comes with a butt load of software, Cubase, Guitar Rig, Kontact etc. Been really wanting to record my own stuff for a while now. Problem with playing in bands is having to compromise what you want to do.

Also ordered a SH-6 distortion / SH-2 jazz combo to stick in my Omen 6. Sometimes I like to learn to play an album from front to back. Last one was Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane. Got most of it anyway. This time I think I have bitten off more than I can chew. Sure to lose from underground points but there are some brilliant riffs to jam along to on this album and they're a good band to learn to build up the chops. But after a day still chomping through the first tune. Having trouble committing some of the runs to memory...

deathevocation whats the new Belphegor like? I listened to one of the songs they released for it a week or so ago, wasn't all that impressed by it to be honest.

Bought it friday and haven't played it yet. Will probably give it a go tomorrow - will let you know but I am expecting more of the same.

I see Ne Obliviscaris have released the cover art for their new album, Citadel.

10561644_10152590272819898_6207267205347387563_n.jpg

Slated for November 7th Release in Aus through Seasons of Mist.

Looking forward to this one!

Also an interesting note:
Ne Oblviscaris broke the Australian record for music related crowd funding (previously held by Eskimo Joe) for their upcoming world tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back