Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never actually heard of a Dutch metal band. Bizarre considering they are neighbours to Germany.

Well besides light stuff like Epica and Within Temptation :p

They have quite a few, http://www.metal-archives.com/lists/NL Within Temptation you've heard of obviously, they're probably the Dutch most known band, along with Sinister who are touring Australia soon, but I've gone off Within Temptation a bit. Officium Triste are also from the Netherlands. Pestilence are also a wellish known band from the Netherlands.

I've never actually heard of a Dutch metal band. Bizarre considering they are neighbours to Germany.

Well besides light stuff like Epica and Within Temptation :p

Another well known dutch death metal act.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to the new At the Gates for the first time......hmmm...where to go with this. I really really like it -don't get me wrong it kinda out does everything and everyband that has come long and jumped on the Slaughter of the Soul bandwagon (and for which AtG unfairly gets a bad rap.. ) since 1995. The Bjorler brothers are a riff machine that never ends...the whole thing is wrapped up in far too much production to the point where its muted and safe. Kinda Bullet for My Valentine crossed with Stone Sour production. Carcass Swansong is 'sound' not style. Its big label money and big label production.

Dunno, the actual songs themselves are great, the playing and vocals top notch but I would have loved a more brutal and honest sound. Where is the ******* crunch?? Still I get the feeling I am gonna play this over and over and over....and over...

Also been on a Running Wild kick the last week....Pile of Skulls, Black Hand Inn, The Brotherhood, Masquerade, Victory, Death or Glory.....am just a sucker for Rock'n'Rolf's style of music (drum machines and all). A real guilty pleasure..

Also been on a Running Wild kick the last week....Pile of Skulls, Black Hand Inn, The Brotherhood, Masquerade, Victory, Death or Glory.....am just a sucker for Rock'n'Rolf's style of music (drum machines and all). A real guilty pleasure..
Early stuff is best but like the newer stuff as well even when the latest (pre-reunion) stuff has an awful production...

Early stuff is best but like the newer stuff as well even when the latest (pre-reunion) stuff has an awful production...

I kinda like the mid era stuff that I mentioned above more. First albums I got of were Under Jolly Roger and Port Royal..have them on vinyl. I only got them coz a mate had Gates to Purgatory and I thought the cover was cool and the band was going to sound like Venom.

Death or Glory
Port Royal
Under Jolly Roger

Probably my top 3. Black Hand Inn and Pile of Skulls up there too.

Blazon Stone the biggest letdown considering it came after Death or Glory.

The Rivalry my favourite of the later stuff. War & Peace! None of the albums after this one have had the same RW feeling or quality.

Whilst I enjoy the first two, most of the pirate stuff is better for me.

Listening to the new At the Gates for the first time......hmmm...where to go with this. I really really like it -don't get me wrong it kinda out does everything and everyband that has come long and jumped on the Slaughter of the Soul bandwagon (and for which AtG unfairly gets a bad rap.. ) since 1995. The Bjorler brothers are a riff machine that never ends...the whole thing is wrapped up in far too much production to the point where its muted and safe. Kinda Bullet for My Valentine crossed with Stone Sour production. Carcass Swansong is 'sound' not style. Its big label money and big label production.

Dunno, the actual songs themselves are great, the playing and vocals top notch but I would have loved a more brutal and honest sound. Where is the ******* crunch?? Still I get the feeling I am gonna play this over and over and over....and over...

I actually just put Slaughter of the Soul in for the first time in about a year. Couldn't be bothered with the new one to begin with and definitely not even going to give it a curious look after that appraisal. Slaughter of the Soul is awesome. I'm a guitarist first, 'metalhead' second these days and this album is a riff factory and like you said they can just churn out riffs. Besides the occasional gem released here and there you really can't go wrong sticking to the classics.

apart from sinister/the gathering/gorefest the other dutch band that comes to mind is orphanage, though they weren't very good. kind of weird crunchy goth doom stuff. bought one of their albums blind from a bargain bin, though this one is a bit more listenable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back