BigFooty Top 50 Favourite Albums - The Final Countdown!

Remove this Banner Ad

Give Godspeed You! Black Emperor a listen. God is an Astronaut is another one. Those 2 plus Explosions in the Sky are probably my favourite post rock bands.

Other good post-rock bands include Caspian, pg.lost, Red Sparowes, sleepmakeswaves, This Will Destroy You and Yndi Halda.

Other good post-rock bands include Caspian, pg.lost, Red Sparowes, sleepmakeswaves, This Will Destroy You and Yndi Halda.
Also if you look local, This Is Your Captain Speaking amongst other bands are worth looking into for Melbourne post rock. But most of the good, well known international ones have been named.

Extremely looking forward to the new This Will Destroy You album.

Also if you look local, This Is Your Captain Speaking amongst other bands are worth looking into for Melbourne post rock. But most of the good, well known international ones have been named.

Extremely looking forward to the new This Will Destroy You album.

Cheers for the recommendation, will check them out

I can't believe I forgot sleepmakeswaves :eek: I've heard of This Will Destroy you but haven't listened to them, and I haven't heard of the rest. I'll have to check them out, thanks mate :thumbsu:

Happy to help :)

Haha, good to know, man. I might start one back up in a couple weeks during my break.

Thinking about having a theme this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lift Your Skinny Fists probably should have been in my top 10. Their show at ATP last year was arguably the best i've seen too.
I agree altogether – although I confess I very seldom actually listen to Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, the power of those pieces, even though the only words are spoken ones like “the government is corrupt” (that certainly could apply to how the road lobby runs Australia) is amazing.

Even in their quiet moods Godspeed You Black Emperor had intensity, and when their guitars and basses (they had three guitars and two basses!) is astonishing, almost enough to make one remember for a long time withou actually listening from beginning to end – which is not something I can always do.

I agree altogether – although I confess I very seldom actually listen to Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, the power of those pieces, even though the only words are spoken ones like “the government is corrupt” (that certainly could apply to how the road lobby runs Australia) is amazing.

Even in their quiet moods Godspeed You Black Emperor had intensity, and when their guitars and basses (they had three guitars and two basses!) is astonishing, almost enough to make one remember for a long time withou actually listening from beginning to end – which is not something I can always do.
My confession....as I was looking forward to this album I didn't care for it that much when first listening to it, I was wondering what the fuss was about. On second listen it sounded better but still I didn't understand. Then I played it a lot mostly while doing things or relaxing etc and after a while it connected. Now I only really listen to it on purpose in certain times.

Amazing album.

Always interested in lists like this!

A few (to me) surprising omissions: Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers (I still listen to both of them, and in my view they haven't dated as the Beatles records have), anything by Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye (or, indeed, anything that might be classified as 'soul'; surely one of the dominant musical styles of the last few decades), Neil Young, Bowie...

1. Ritual De Lo Habitual - Jane's Addiction
2. Sunnyboys - Sunnyboys
3. Copper Blue - Sugar
4. Nothing's Shocking - Jane's Addiction
5. Sweet Oblivion - Screaming Trees
6. Sheik Yerbouti - Frank Zappa
7. Down On The Upside - Soundgarden
8. Distemper - New Christs
9. Radios Appear - Radio Birdman
10. Too High To Die - Meat Puppets

Last edited:
Top 10 would change weekly for me. Does anyone have an album to top 3 that they feel wouldn't change for a decent amount of time?

At the moment I have a fairly solid 9 favourites, get's harder after that point.

1. OK Computer - Radiohead
2. Untilted - Autechre
3. Vespertine - Bjork
4. Here, My Dear - Marvin Gaye
5. Confield - Autechre
6. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco
7. On the Beach - Neil Young
8. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
9. Is This Desire? - PJ Harvey

no. 10 at the moment would be out of several albums, depending on mood and my own personal change. Recently Mezzanine, Nowhere, Meddle and Bitches Brew slipped out of the lower reaches of my top 10. I've definitely become more singer-songwriter solo artist in recent times, with less time for indie, prog, metal and young person music generally. I guess that is just part of growing older and weirder, connecting with different lyrics, and generally becoming more detached from the pop culture mainstream of the time. OK Computer and Dark Side of the Moon have proven to be particularly timeless albums, I recently listened to them after leaving them alone for a couple years and was absolutely blown away.

I do have a top 100 list I occasionally edit to keep track. I've only bought 2 albums in 2014, old and new, so been relistening to a lot of older albums I hadn't listened to in years. Recently regained love for albums like Without You I'm Nothing, Wincing the Night Away, Ray of Light, Being There, Blood on the Tracks and the first two Portishead albums.

Top 10 would change weekly for me. Does anyone have an album to top 3 that they feel wouldn't change for a decent amount of time?

Aenima and OK Computer have been my top 2 favourite albums since they were released and I can't see that changing. The rest of my top 10 has been fairly changeable over the years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back