Bigfooty Yid Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Work ethic is fine and he's always looking to get into good positions; you're just wrong.

Shot accuracy is 55% over the season, and only had 1 shot on target out of 7 tonight, which doesn't include the sitter he failed to even hit in the first half. Bad technique, the end.

He does, however, have a good shot on him when he goes across the goalie. Good accuracy - so far at least.

23 shots - 6 on target today. Just need to be more clinical because we get so nervy as games go on (if we're ahead)

He does, however, have a good shot on him when he goes across the goalie. Good accuracy - so far at least.

23 shots - 6 on target today. Just need to be more clinical because we get so nervy as games go on (if we're ahead)
Maybe so, but sure didn't show it in this game. Counted a few overcooked passes as well, which needs to improve if he's going to come up the pitch regularly.

The fact that we still s**t ourselves in the second half illustrates our mental strength is still poor, and almost certifies our inability to qualify for top 4 this year, in case anyone still believes it's a possibility. I'm stunned we're in the position we are now considering how many results we've fluked, but you can't qualify for the top 4 with flukes, as 12/13 showed.

Mason going off probably didn't help. He played the midfield general role well & looks like he'll play the role Capoue was supposed to.

Ben Stambouli it is

Agree wholeheartedly that we look good offensively, but defensively we look like conceding. (at least) 1 top Centre back should be a January priority for Poch allowing Dier, Walker, Davis (Townsend/Lennon) as the Left/Righ backs whilst I still cannont understand why Jan doesn't play in the centre of defence.
What? Verts has played in the centre of defence every time he's played this season. It was last year he was forced to play LB and cracked the sads, but the signing of Davies fixed that. Dier is actually naturally a CB and was signed as one but was forced to play at RB earlier this season with Walker's injury and Naughton being in poor form/injured/suspended, also Rose has played a fair bit at LB this season and looked like a much improved player there before he was injured, he's back fit now although I do prefer Davies as he's far more solid defensively. With Chrirches all but gone and Kaboul on the outer I do agree a CB is probably needed in January to add to Verts, Fazio and Dier. Last transfer window Poch was very keen on Mexican centre-half Hector Moreno but he received a serious leg injury either before the world cup or at the world cup. There's rumours that Poch may revisit him in January however. We also get Yedlin in January which will add some depth under Walker at RB. Finally I never want to see Lennon or Townsend as full-backs so I don't know why you considered them at that position, there's also rumours that Lennon will be sold in January.
Far better performance than last night, but still not top 4 standard. Looked defensively disciplined for once in the center of the pitch, although looks like that will be hampered with Mason injured.

After a totally abysmal performance, Lamela produces a great performance with a fabulous goal. Would be even better if that spanner Walker didn't keep getting in his way (in fact, now that I think about it, Walker might be the reason Lennon turned s**t. When Corluka was stationed there, he played an intelligent, supporting role that brought the best out of Lennon, whereas Walker keeps dashing forward to no effect).

Defence looks pretty solid, except we're still prone to small errors that could've been punished by a better team. They've only had one clear-cut chance though and it was their goal.

Kane- Needs to improve his abysmal technique.

Nope. Work ethic is fine and he's always looking to get into good positions; you're just wrong.

1 shot on target out of 7 tonight, which doesn't include the sitter he failed to even hit in the first half. Bad technique, the end.
Can not agree with you on Walker whatsoever. It's no coincidence we've looked both defensively and offensively better on the right the last couple of games since Walker's been back. He also gives Lamela/whoever's playing on the right wing more freedom to roam and cut inside as they know that Walker will be working his backside off providing width and tracking back to fulfill his defensive duties. That opinion might have been true of Walker 3 or 4 years ago but the last couple of seasons he has improved out of sight and really is a fantastic footballer now.

Honestly, this opinion about Kane is some of the same fickleness that I've seen from Spurs fans on Tottenham-specific forums. The bloke kills it all season, he's our leading scorer, on the verge of a national team call-up, is in the top couple in the entire premier league for goals in all competitions all at 21 years old. He has one game where he wasn't even bad (he still scored and worked incredibly hard) but misses a sitter and has a few shots off target and he's got 'bad-technique.' You wouldn't have said that after one of the various long range goals he's scored this season. He's actually got incredibly close control and shooting technique, evidenced by his clinical finishing for most of the season and his really dynamic and effective dribbling where defenders have been unable to dispossess him despite him not being quick or agile.
I actually think Kane is better playing off the 9 rather than as a 9 himself. That way he can make us of his phenomenal work-rate to drop back into midfield when needed and also to ghost forward into the box or just outside it unmarked where he can make use of his finishing abilities. Doesn't hurt that he is more than capable of picking a pass as well.

Can not agree with you on Walker whatsoever. It's no coincidence we've looked both defensively and offensively better on the right the last couple of games since Walker's been back. He also gives Lamela/whoever's playing on the right wing more freedom to roam and cut inside as they know that Walker will be working his backside off providing width and tracking back to fulfill his defensive duties. That opinion might have been true of Walker 3 or 4 years ago but the last couple of seasons he has improved out of sight and really is a fantastic footballer now.

Honestly, this opinion about Kane is some of the same fickleness that I've seen from Spurs fans on Tottenham-specific forums. The bloke kills it all season, he's our leading scorer, on the verge of a national team call-up, is in the top couple in the entire premier league for goals in all competitions all at 21 years old. He has one game where he wasn't even bad (he still scored and worked incredibly hard) but misses a sitter and has a few shots off target and he's got 'bad-technique.' You wouldn't have said that after one of the various long range goals he's scored this season. He's actually got incredibly close control and shooting technique, evidenced by his clinical finishing for most of the season and his really dynamic and effective dribbling where defenders have been unable to dispossess him despite him not being quick or agile.
I actually think Kane is better playing off the 9 rather than as a 9 himself. That way he can make us of his phenomenal work-rate to drop back into midfield when needed and also to ghost forward into the box or just outside it unmarked where he can make use of his finishing abilities. Doesn't hurt that he is more than capable of picking a pass as well.

I counted a few occasions in the Burnley Game where he dashed ahead of Lamela, only to clog up space. If you run forward of the ball every time, you often deny the wide player that extra bit of freedom to beat his man. Top quality fullbacks are judicious with their forward runs; Walker is anything but. Great defensive fullback though.

As for Kane, I've barely watched Spurs this season, so fickle I am not; just prone to using hyperbole in the heat of the game. Judging by last two games, he's nowhere near agile enough to play in the hole, which really showed in the Swansea game, and he didn't display good technical qualities against Burnley. As for seasonal performance, I'm not in a position to argue.

I counted a few occasions in the Burnley Game where he dashed ahead of Lamela, only to clog up space. If you run forward of the ball every time, you often deny the wide player that extra bit of freedom to beat his man. Top quality fullbacks are judicious with their forward runs; Walker is anything but. Great defensive fullback though.

As for Kane, I've barely watched Spurs this season, so fickle I am not; just prone to using hyperbole in the heat of the game. Judging by last two games, he's nowhere near agile enough to play in the hole, which really showed in the Swansea game, and he didn't display good technical qualities against Burnley. As for seasonal performance, I'm not in a position to argue.
See, I thought he picked his moments to get forward well. He was always providing width when Lamela drifted inside in general play, as he sometimes does, and also when Lamela cut inside when he was on the ball. He was also a fantastic outlet for a switch at times when we would run into a cul-de-sac down the left. In the last two league games it's been difficult to tell that he missed a lot of football, such has been his quality and his overall impact on the way the team plays; neither Naughton, Chiriches or Dier are attacking or quick enough to do that kind of work on a consistent basis.

Fair enough, yesterday definitely wasn't his best game for the season but he was still effective. He scored and should definitely have had two, I've got no idea how he didn't get anything on that Lamela cross. Really? I agree that he's not agile or creative enough to play as a proper 10 but his best games this season, and I've watched most games, including League Cup and Europa League games, has been when he's played off Soldado and not required to fulfill a strikers duties as well as drop into midfield.

We are a much better side with Walker in it. His ability to past Lamela and burst into the box is going to help him a great deal out on the right wing. Will be a lot harder for sides to double team Lamela when his got the option of going to Walker on the outside if need be. It was only the 2nd game they've had together so it wasn't perfect but I can see it improving massively.

Kane is a taller Defoe. Got a great shot on him and hunts goals. Not overly quick but gets in good spots and isn't as bad as people say on the ball. He is so far ahead of our other 2 strikers it's not funny. Wouldn't mind over the next 2 windows if we got rid of both of them and built a good young strike force signing a someone like Lacezzete (Lyon), Berahino, Martial (Monaco), Paco Alcacer (Valencia)

Don't see Jan leaving in Jan. He has established himself as 1st choice again. And although they aren't convincing him and Fazio are our best partnership at the back. Think Chiriches' days are numbered thank god, and I'd imagine Kaboul being not with us for the 2015/16 season. The names we are being linked with (Albiol & Moreno) are to replace Jan if he does want to leave but from his last few performances and seeing his reactions to the wins I think he is starting to find a happy place again which was non-existent last season.

You make a point of building a young strike force jd2010, the team we put out on Saturday night (our time) was exceptionally young.

Bar Hugo Lloris (27), Jan Vertonghan (27), Fazio (27) [who are not old by any means of the imagination] the rest of the squad is 25 or younger. The aim now is to keep the squad together and to build that experience and depth in the squad as a whole.

You make a point of building a young strike force jd2010, the team we put out on Saturday night (our time) was exceptionally young.

Bar Hugo Lloris (27), Jan Vertonghan (27), Fazio (27) [who are not old by any means of the imagination] the rest of the squad is 25 or younger. The aim now is to keep the squad together and to build that experience and depth in the squad as a whole.
I wouldn't even be against signing Benteke (23 I think) and someone under 20 and having them and Kane as our strike force. Rumours that wont go away here is that we are looking at PSG midfielder Rabiot on loan with the option to buy in the summer. And also a Barca B midfielder Sergi Samper. Both under 21, would think them coming in would see one or two of Paulinho, Capoue & Dembele moving on

We are a much better side with Walker in it. His ability to past Lamela and burst into the box is going to help him a great deal out on the right wing. Will be a lot harder for sides to double team Lamela when his got the option of going to Walker on the outside if need be. It was only the 2nd game they've had together so it wasn't perfect but I can see it improving massively.

Kane is a taller Defoe. Got a great shot on him and hunts goals. Not overly quick but gets in good spots and isn't as bad as people say on the ball. He is so far ahead of our other 2 strikers it's not funny. Wouldn't mind over the next 2 windows if we got rid of both of them and built a good young strike force signing a someone like Lacezzete (Lyon), Berahino, Martial (Monaco), Paco Alcacer (Valencia)

Don't see Jan leaving in Jan. He has established himself as 1st choice again. And although they aren't convincing him and Fazio are our best partnership at the back. Think Chiriches' days are numbered thank god, and I'd imagine Kaboul being not with us for the 2015/16 season. The names we are being linked with (Albiol & Moreno) are to replace Jan if he does want to leave but from his last few performances and seeing his reactions to the wins I think he is starting to find a happy place again which was non-existent last season.

I wouldn't even be against signing Benteke (23 I think) and someone under 20 and having them and Kane as our strike force. Rumours that wont go away here is that we are looking at PSG midfielder Rabiot on loan with the option to buy in the summer. And also a Barca B midfielder Sergi Samper. Both under 21, would think them coming in would see one or two of Paulinho, Capoue & Dembele moving on
Pretty much spot on about Walker. We look so much better down the right hand side when he's playing. Earlier in the season we just looked dysfunctional there with Chiriches, Dier or Naughton, proven in the fact that a majority of our goals came down the left, eitehr throught Eriksen or Chadli when they were playing on that side.

Agree on Kane as well. For a guy that's not quick or agile he's really good on the ball and rarely gets dispossessed. Not sure about the Defoe comparison though, hes bigger and stronger than Defoe where Defoe was obviously much quicker. Agree that we need another striker as well, Ade just has to go, who knows what's going on with him back home and if the rumours are true about him, Kaboul and Lennon having a dressing room argument with Kane, mason and Bentaleb and just all round causing a dysfunctional dressing room then the sooner he's gone the better. I don't mind Soldado hanging around though, he's clearly really popular amongst the team (see their reaction when he scored), the fans adore him and he seems to provide good leadership amongst guys like Kane, Lamela and Eriksen.
I don't think we'll get Lacazette as he's scoring for fun at the moment and will probably be chased by a bigger side and I would say Martial's not there yet. He has plenty of potential but he's only scored 1 goal for the season in the much weaker Ligue 1 and I think there are better options. Berahino would be a good option as he's quick and would have a good understanding with Kane as they've played together a lot in the England youth teams. The one that you didn't mention who we've been very heavily linked to is Jackson Martinez from Porto. The only problem with him is that he'll cost upwards of 30 mil and he's 28, not sure that Levy will want to take another risk after the Soldado buy. Rabiot would be an outstanding get as well, I actually almost prefer him to Schneiderlin. Hopefully we sell both Paulinho and Capoue and maybe Dembele and bring in Rabiot and our central midfield will be set for a long time to come with Mason, Bentaleb, Stambouli and Rabiot fighting for first team spots with Carroll to come back and Winks and Onomah pushing up from the academy.

I actually think that Fazio and Verts is our best defensive combination; they're both good on the ball, Fazio is good in the air and Verts is a class act when he's disciplined and concentrating and not petulant. I agree that both Chiriches and Kaboul will be gone soon and I think one of Moreno or Albiol will definitely be bought in to fight for a spot with those guys as well as Dier.

Wouldn't expect us to go for a big money forward for a couple of reasons. We've been just burnt with Soldado, who if we sold now we'd get 1/4 of his original price for. And two they'd be demanding minutes off Kane who at the minute deserves to be a starting striker. The beaut thing with Kane is that he can drop deeper and play that #10 role, his ability to link play with a fellow striker is very very good. Not sold on Berahino, some off field problems and now on his first baron run and not looking like the striker he was months ago

I've noticed in his last few appearances that Dembele is being pushed forward more. Much more suited to this role and I think he'll have a future with us. Not too sure Carroll will ever be a Spurs player, his strengths are similar (slightly better than) Bentaleb with good vision and passing, but he has strength and tackling deficiencies that the 3 yr younger player doesn't have.

With the mooted sales of Kaboul, Cappoue, Chiriches, Paulhino, Dembele. Could we make enough money off these guys to buy the house in the form of Jackson Martinez? Seems like a class act and someone we could rely on deeper into the long season.
Has a slightly better goal scoring record than Soldado did in a poorer league. Probably would be an upgrade but doubt we'll take that risk

Wouldn't expect us to go for a big money forward for a couple of reasons. We've been just burnt with Soldado, who if we sold now we'd get 1/4 of his original price for. And two they'd be demanding minutes off Kane who at the minute deserves to be a starting striker. The beaut thing with Kane is that he can drop deeper and play that #10 role, his ability to link play with a fellow striker is very very good. Not sold on Berahino, some off field problems and now on his first baron run and not looking like the striker he was months ago

I've noticed in his last few appearances that Dembele is being pushed forward more. Much more suited to this role and I think he'll have a future with us. Not too sure Carroll will ever be a Spurs player, his strengths are similar (slightly better than) Bentaleb with good vision and passing, but he has strength and tackling deficiencies that the 3 yr younger player doesn't have.
I tend to agree that it will be unlikely we shell out massive money in January in any position, the problem though, is that if Kane picks up a knock or loses form later in the season we'll be left with Soldado as his only backup (after the rumour about Ade causing dressing room unrest I doubt we'll ever see him in a lillywhite shirt again). For this reason I think we have to buy an attacker, with the likely options being Martinez or Berahino, but as you pointed out both those players and the deals it would take to get them have significant problems. I'm not against selling the likes of Capoue, Paulinho, Chririches, Kaboul and Dembele to raise funds for the like of Rabiot, Moreno and Martinez, but I'd hate for another Soldado situation with Martinez. It must be pointed out though that from what I've read from people who watch much more Portugese football than me Martinez is much bigger, stronger and faster than Soldado and more naturally suited to the Premier League.
With the mooted sales of Kaboul, Cappoue, Chiriches, Paulhino, Dembele. Could we make enough money off these guys to buy the house in the form of Jackson Martinez? Seems like a class act and someone we could rely on deeper into the long season.
As both jd2010 and I have pointed out there are inherent risks in selling the farm and going all out for Martinez; he's 28, he will cost 30mil+, he's done most of his work in the weaker Portugese league and there would be a hesitation after the Soldado buy to put all the eggs in one basket again. There also risks with the other guy we've been heavily linked to, Berahino, as well; he's only 21 but will cost 25mil+, inconsistent, hasn't scored in a while after a fantastic start to the season and it seems he has off-pitch problems with his recent drink-driving charge. It all makes for an interesting and potentially difficult January for Levy, Baldini and Poch, it also remains to be seen how much say Paul Mitchell has in any of these deals after he recently came in from Southampton.
Personally, I'd be content if Paulinho, Capoue, Chiriches and maybe Lennon and Kaboul depart in January with Rabiot and Moreno/Albiol coming in. Although, as I pointed out above I'd prefer it if we bought in a striker as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are to sign a striker the "best" rumour I've heard is that we will sign Doumbia from Moscow for around £10m.

Two years younger than Martinez for less than half the price. Has a bit of Bony about his goal scoring record to date, banged them in at Young Boys and CSKA.

If we are to sign a striker the "best" rumour I've heard is that we will sign Doumbia from Moscow for around £10m.

Two years younger than Martinez for less than half the price. Has a bit of Bony about his goal scoring record to date, banged them in at Young Boys and CSKA.
Yeah have heard that as well. Fantastic record in Europe means he doesn't just do it against the weaker sides in the Russian League either. With the currency in Russia going down the toilet it will be interesting to see what many of the Russian sides to with their biggest assets.

Yeah have heard that as well. Fantastic record in Europe means he doesn't just do it against the weaker sides in the Russian League either. With the currency in Russia going down the toilet it will be interesting to see what many of the Russian sides to with their biggest assets.
Only 18 months left on his contract too so he is definitely going to be a cheap-ish option. If we could get him for cheaper than Berahino it's a no-brainer for me. Still not convinced by Berahino who didnt do much in the 13/14 season and is now on a big drought

21 year old Seattle Sounders Right Back (?) Deandre Yedlin, set to join Tottenham in the coming weeks.

Nice video the Sounders posted about their first homegrown signing

Watching the clip and boy is he fast!! Thierry Henry mentions "he can jump, but most important, he can play".

Yep I would love a 2 goal cushion, even against the bottom side.

Shoot Bentaleb SHOOT!!....

Was what I was yelling at the tv

Two chances now and both times his last touch has turned the ball over.

They look dangerous whenever they push forward. It might not be very often, but that last shot on should have been in the back of the net!

Hey jd2010, notice Gylfi Siggurdson has been doing really well for Swansea since he departed us permanently. What was the thinking behind his departure? Some are talking about him as one of the better EPL midfielders at the moment. Could really use him if that were the case or would he be fighting with guys like Ericksen, Lamela, Mason even in an attacking midfielders role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back