Bigfooty Yid Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I haven't been on this thread for a while but did I really just read that Lloris is a spud? That was just about the only goal he's conceded from a mistake this season. He's been the best GK in the Premier League this season (seriously he's ahead of De Gea and Courtois according to most statistical websites) and really only behind Neuer in the world. He's been just as important to us this season as Kane and Eriksen.

Massive couple of weeks though with Fiorentina at home, West Ham at home, Fiorentina away then Chelsea in a cup final all in the space of about 10 days. A win against Spam, progress in the Europa league and a Cup will be a difficult set of results to achieve but not completely out of the question.

Yeah Dembele was well off the pace - although he wasn't the only one.

Was in the South Stand Lower - right next to the Hammers today. We should have been 2 nil ahead after 5 minutes. Could have been 4 nil down after 65...

But, as Harry Kane says - NEVER GIVE UP!

Well, that was a shitty result over two legs.

Think we're starting to tire now. Been a long and pretty good season - just hope the wheels don't fall off on what's been a promising showing by a young squad. If we were just a bit more clinical when we have our chances these brain fades at the back would be easier to shrug off.

Soldado should be ordered to shoot on sight. He's always looking to give off - needs to be greedier a la Kane...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am resigned to the fact that I will never see Spurs win anything ever again. Given that I've probably got 20-25 years left to live, this is a massive possibility
When It really counts, they don't seem to get across the line. Diminishes the effort spent in getting there.

Massive couple of weeks though with Fiorentina at home, West Ham at home, Fiorentina away then Chelsea in a cup final all in the space of about 10 days. A win against Spam, progress in the Europa league and a Cup will be a difficult set of results to achieve but not completely out of the question.

And instead we end up with our season effectively over with nothing to show for it

And instead we end up with our season effectively over with nothing to show for it

What were you expecting at the start of the season?

Seriously, what were any of us expecting at the start of the season? Top 4? Who expected us to be in that race with United spending 150 million? With Arsenal getting Sanchez. Liverpool were never expected to fall into the hole they did - and have now pulled themselves out of it.

We just made a Cup Final. Wasn't that about the best we could hope for - as well as improvement against the top 4 clubs in the league?

We did this with the youngest team in the league - and with binning off our most prolific striker in Adebayor and captain in Kaboul. We went with youth and a hard line on team rules and it's paying dividends.

And we're still only a handful of points off top 4. I don't think we'll make it but I sure as hell hope the players think they can.

A season with "nothing to show for it" was 09-10 - when we lost the FA Cup with probably our best squad in the PL era.

Seriously, what were any of us expecting at the start of the season? Top 4? Who expected us to be in that race with United spending 150 million? With Arsenal getting Sanchez. Liverpool were never expected to fall into the hole they did - and have now pulled themselves out of it.

We just made a Cup Final. Wasn't that about the best we could hope for - as well as improvement against the top 4 clubs in the league?

We did this with the youngest team in the league - and with binning off our most prolific striker in Adebayor and captain in Kaboul. We went with youth and a hard line on team rules and it's paying dividends.

And we're still only a handful of points off top 4. I don't think we'll make it but I sure as hell hope the players think they can.

A season with "nothing to show for it" was 09-10 - when we lost the FA Cup with probably our best squad in the PL era.
Completely agree with all of this. IMO this season has been a resounding success. We made a cup final and we're in with a chance of a champions league spot, all with the youngest squad in the premier league. The new manager has slowly implemented his style and the core group of players have bought in heavily. He's bought through a number of young players and we've seen significant improvement from the likes of Chadli, Kane, Eriksen and Lamela. If we can just get ris of the guys who haven't bought in the managers approach (namely Kaboul, Ade and Capoue) and make a couple of smart buys whilst continuing to bring through the likes of Onomah, Winks and Pritchard then we'll be right in the mix next season.

Poch has definitely improved this team throughout the season and with what help from the board/transfer committee? Arguably our biggest game of the season in the cup final and only 1 new signing started or came off the bench. I get they need time to weed off the s**t (Paulinho, Capoue, Kaboul & the 2 strikers) from our wage bill before getting many in, but until Poch has a squad of 18-20 trusted senior players that is topped up with youth he can't be judged with the top 5 clubs. Right now he has a trusted squad of about 14 and about 4-5 of them are 21 and under!

As long as Levy doesn't "do a Levy" we have a great manager here who is actually capable of building something and he is doing it in an enjoyable way, which was the 1 slight on what AVB was doing.

The biggest test of the summer will be keeping this squad together. Lloris, Vertonghen & Eriksen must be held on to. If 1 was to go it could see a ripple effect and we cant lose all 3! If I was to lose 1 it would have to be JV. Enough quality CBs out there and there are definite question marks on his mental strength.

Our current squad that can play the Poch-way
GK: Lloris, Vorm
RB: Walker
LB: Rose, Davies
CB: Vertonghen, Dier, Fazio
CM: Mason, Bentaleb, Stambouli
AM/W: Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli, Townsend, Dembele
ST: Kane

That is well light of a 23 man squad we'd need to compete for top 4 and that's without losing those 3. If they were to stay we'd need 1 RB, 1 CB, 1 CM, 2 ST (1 that can also play in the 3 behind the striker).

RB can hopefully be sorted with either the young American Yedlin or Ryan Fredricks who has been very good at Boro who are close to top in the Championhip.
CB could be Winston Reid who we are linked with on a free.
CM we've got that young Dele Alli coming in but I'd still want an experienced guy to come in and help the kids here. Someone like "boring" James Milner would be perfect
ST that's the £30,000,000 question we've been asking for years. We've got Kane as a starter and shouldn't be looking for anything to oust him but someone who is still young enough to develop and also someone who can play out wide as well so that we can naturally play both. Ings & Jay-Rod would be ideal, but I'm sure there is better value options throughout Europe!

Just saying it's been a disappointing ten days or so. False dawns are our specialty after all.

Just saying it's been a disappointing ten days or so. False dawns are our specialty after all.
On paper yes. But if you look at the results post Arsenal as they were couldn't really have expected much more tbh.

Liverpool (A): 3 days after the derby we named the same XI and they overran Bentaleb and Mason. No real depth in central midfield so they had to play.
Fiorentina (H): we started with Paulinho & Soldado enough said really.
West Ham (H): admittedly our 1 real poor showing IMO. Probably could have been ahead before gifting them the poor 1st goal and then were outplayed considerably but pulled it back.
Fiorentina (A): 3 days before the cup final we fielded a fairly weak side. Only Lloris, Walker, JV & Eriksen would go on to start the final.
Cup final: lost to the best side in the country in a poor match to 2 deflected goals.

On paper yes. But if you look at the results post Arsenal as they were couldn't really have expected much more tbh.

Liverpool (A): 3 days after the derby we named the same XI and they overran Bentaleb and Mason. No real depth in central midfield so they had to play.
Fiorentina (H): we started with Paulinho & Soldado enough said really.
West Ham (H): admittedly our 1 real poor showing IMO. Probably could have been ahead before gifting them the poor 1st goal and then were outplayed considerably but pulled it back.
Fiorentina (A): 3 days before the cup final we fielded a fairly weak side. Only Lloris, Walker, JV & Eriksen would go on to start the final.
Cup final: lost to the best side in the country in a poor match to 2 deflected goals.
What chance does Lloris have when not 1 but both goals were deflected from within 5-6 yards. Pretty hard to react to that.

After the first leg v Fiorentina I knew we'd likely go out given a cup final was awaiting that weekend. Needed to set that tie up on the first leg, didn't, and now we're out.

Liverpool was a game where as you say we were overrun in midfield, but unlike previous trips to Anfield where we've simply rolled over once going behind, this time we showed good character to come back from a goal down twice iirc. Disappointed we didn't get a point, thought it was somewhat deserved all things considered.

West Ham, we flat out shouldn't have got a point. Hilarious that we did given it was Fat Sam :D but we didn't track the runners and gave up 2 soft goals. Still chuckle that we somehow managed to pull that one out of the fire :)

The biggest test of the summer will be keeping this squad together. Lloris, Vertonghen & Eriksen must be held on to. If 1 was to go it could see a ripple effect and we cant lose all 3! If I was to lose 1 it would have to be JV. Enough quality CBs out there and there are definite question marks on his mental strength.

Our current squad that can play the Poch-way
RB: Walker
CB: Vertonghen, Dier, Fazio
CM: Mason, Bentaleb, Stambouli
AM/W: Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli, Townsend, Dembele
ST: Kane

That is well light of a 23 man squad we'd need to compete for top 4 and that's without losing those 3. If they were to stay we'd need 1 RB, 1 CB, 1 CM, 2 ST (1 that can also play in the 3 behind the striker).

RB can hopefully be sorted with either the young American Yedlin or Ryan Fredricks who has been very good at Boro who are close to top in the Championhip.
CB could be Winston Reid who we are linked with on a free.
CM we've got that young Dele Alli coming in but I'd still want an experienced guy to come in and help the kids here. Someone like "boring" James Milner would be perfect
ST that's the £30,000,000 question we've been asking for years. We've got Kane as a starter and shouldn't be looking for anything to oust him but someone who is still young enough to develop and also someone who can play out wide as well so that we can naturally play both. Ings & Jay-Rod would be ideal, but I'm sure there is better value options throughout Europe!
Completely agree with all of this, including those that must be kept from the current squad and what we need for next season. If I had it my way this is how I'd go:
Reid on a free with Fredericks and/or Yedlin playing as the backup to Walker with the other to go out on loan. Ideally I'd love to see Milner or Cabaye bought in to central midfield, I think they'd be perfect for the system and compliment Bentaleb fantastically with Alli to come in and play a squad role also. I'd also prefer to see a LW/left attacking mdifield player to come in to compete with Chadli and so Eriksen doesn't have to play out there; Pritchard is playing really well at Brentford and I can see him being a part of the squad next year. We've been linked with Depay again but I think this is highly unrealistic, there'll be plenty of bigger clubs after him as well.
The striker situation is a little more difficult. Although he's been poor I'd be comfortable keeping Soldado as 3rd choice striker; he's well respected in the dressing room and seems to be a good leader for the younger guys. and as 3rd choice he wouldn't be playing that often. But we definitely need someone to come in to either play backup to Kane or play with him. Apparently we're seriously interested Villareal striker Luciano Vietto but it would be a risk. He would cost 15m pounds+ and he's only 21. The other guys we've been linked to include Carlos Bacca and Jackson Martinez, both of whom present their own risks, being near 30, very expensive and unlikely to want to play second fiddle to Kane. It's also unlikely that Levy will spend 20m+ on a 28/29 from Spain or Portugal - it didn't work out too well last time. I'd like to see JayRod come in for his versatility at either striker or LAM. So in summary I'd like to see for next season:

OUT: Kaboul, Adebayor, Paulinho, Chiriches, Capoue, Yedlin on loan

IN: Reid, Fredericks, Alli, Milner/Cabaye Pritchard/new LAM, Vietto/Ings, JayRod with the likes of Onomah, Winks and a few others getting more of an opportunity from the academy.

This would leave us with a squad of:

RB: Walker, Fredericks
CB: Verts, Dier, Fazio, Reid
CM: Bentaleb, Mason, Alli, Stambouli, Milner or Cabaye
RAM: Lamela, Townsend
CAM: Erisken, Dembele (with Kane and Pritchard able to play there)
LAM: Chadli, Jay Rod, Pritchard
ST: Kane, Vietto, Soldado (With Jay Rod able to play there)

IMHO this is a squad more than capable of competing for the top 4 next season and even greater honours in the future.

Speaking to a mate today about how much he expects us to spend and I think a lot of it will come down to who we can actually get rid of this summer. If anyone was willing to shell out £10m for Soldado he has to be off! The 5 you mentioned + Lennon & Soldado could bring in around £40-45m, I'd hope all that and another £5-10m would be available for Paul Mitchell. All up we'd need to sign about 4-5 players for about £50m which is on a smaller scale than the massive success he achieved at Southampton last window.

I would just like to see us do something better than we've done for the last 40 years before I die :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back